I Was a 32A Before Breast Aug, and Recieved 330cc and when I Went to Get Sized, Theyre Saying I Am a 32D is This Possible?

Hello, im 5'0 92 lbs, and had my breast augmentation done almost 5 weeks ago, I did 330cc, and initially after surgery I thought they almost didnt look that big, like they didnt come out too far? So when I went to see my doctor for my check up he said I could start wearing a normal bra, so when I went to get sized the lady said I was a 32D but I dont understand how if they look nothing like D cup size breasts. Is it because i have such a petite frame? And will they get smaller when they drop?

The letter on your bra's label is NOT your size; your breasts are your size!

+2

Caitlin, you have discovered exactly why plastic surgeons find it difficult to impossible to discuss desired breast size with prospective patients who talk only about bra cup sizes!

So many different brassiere manufacturers have different ideas about sizing, I tell women to try on implants in a bra and stretchy top to determine what final size estimate seems good for them, and/or for them to bring me photos of patients or nude models with breasts whose size they like. Then, I try to best achieve that look for them in the operating room. If they like how their new breasts look as they heal, then they can buy bras that look nice and fit well, regardless of the letters on the label.

BTW, this happens with women who have not undergone breast augmentation as well. All their adult life they wear a bra size they somehow determined was "right" for their breasts. Then they go to a "sizing event" and find out they "should" be wearing a 34F bra instead of a 36D, for example. Go figure!

Fortunately, even though you have had a 32D bra suggested for you, you seem to like the size you are at presently ("almost didn't look that big" and not too much projection), so you aren't too big even if you like how that 32D bra fits and looks! Over time your implants will drop somewhat, and you may even have a tiny bit more projection as your breast skin and muscles relax. The swelling around your breasts will diminish, and your cleavage and inframammary creases will become more well-defined, all to the better result (and likely no change in bra size from those similar to the 32D, even if another manufacturer has 32C on the label)! You don't want your breasts to get smaller; don't worry, they won't. Forget about the letter on the bra label! Buy and wear pretty bras and enjoy your new look! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Bra sizes are tricky.

+1
Caitlin, sometimes you need to forget about Bra sizes. Although as a doctor, I understand that patients feel great when they finally fit into that Victoria Secret bra they've always dreamed of, but truth be told, you're not getting a breast augmentation to look good in a bra. You're doing it to feel best about yourself infront of a mirror or in a bathing suit. Not to mention the fact that as your surgeon, it is hard to fit you into a 34D when every bra manufacturer is different and varies in their sizing. It is very possible to have gone from an A cup to a D cup with such a petite frame. As long as you are happy with your breasts when you are wearing no clothes, a bra should be a simple decoration to top off your new gems. 

Orlando Llorente, MD

The mystery and fascination of Cup sizes!

+1

Exactly the point many plastic surgeons make when discussing augmentation. Cup sizes are an enigma. Different bra manufacturers use cup sizes in different ways (and many for marketing purposes). The bottom line is whether you are happy with your breast size and how you look in clothes. Being sized for a bra will simply allow you to more easily find bras that fit you. Smaller framed women (32, 34) will see cup changes go up with smaller volumes. Remember, it's not the bra that gives you your figure, but your breasts.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Bra size post aug

+1

Cup size in my opinion is very misleading because it will vary from one bra maker to another so it is not always easy to say D cup or DD.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Bra and volume of implants

+1

The question you asked is a good one. Implatn volumes do not always correlate with teh specific cup size of a given bra.  All manufacturers make their cup sizes differently.