Is It Normal for Silicone Implants to Ripple? (photo)

I have 600cc high profile Natrelle silicone gel breast implants on top of the muscle, and when the swelling went down these ripples appeared. If I had them replaced with a smaller implant under the muscle would I still have the ripples? I could tolerate side and/or bottom ripples, but ripples in the cleavage area are unacceptable to me. More ripples can be felt than can be seen, and I am afraid they are just going to get worse.

Yes Subglandular Gel Implants will ripple

+1

Although gel tends to ripple less than saline it can still occur.  They key to natural implants is to put them as deep in the body as possible.  The only solution for your problem is fat grafting or converting to submuscular placement or both.

Is It Normal for Silicone Implants to Ripple?

+1

Both saline and silicone gel implants can ripple

It is less common for silicone gel implants to ripple

The factors thet increase rippling with gel implants include:

Surface texturing

High profile

low profile

Thin overlying tissues

So the teratment will depend on the above

The implants may need to be changed .If the tissues are thin they can be thickened with fat injections beneath the skin  or the addition of mesh to the capsule

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

+1

Sorry for the "rippling" of the silicone implants as demonstrated in your photo posted. Two issues are present, the inherent risk in the implant to "ripple" as described in the manufacturer's literature. And the implant placement above the muscle. So I bet you can see where I'm going! The ways to correct are either live with this, change pocket location to below muscle, or try fat grafting along the rill pled areas - risky for rupture or puncture. Hope that helps. Great question Follow up would be nice. 

Implants and rippling

+1

Rippling occurs because the tissues are very thin. An implant under the muscle will have better coerage superiorly but still may develop ripping. Sometimes strattice or even fat injections can help minimze this.

Silicone implants can ripple

+1

The amount of ripple and show through for any given breast implant depends on the amount of soft tissue to cover and hide. Even a lower profile implant can ripple. One solution is a more highly cohesive breast implant which will hold its shape and ripple less. The new gummy bear implants from Sientra are widely available and could reduce your ripple.

Breast implant rippling

+1

I would agree with the information proved previously and also add that rippling in the cleavage area can also be due to textured surface implants and an implant volume that is too large for your anatomy.  Another option for small areas of rippling may be fat grafting to add more soft tissue coverage, but this would not be my initial recommendation for your situation.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Rippling with Silicone Breast Implants?

+1

Thank you for the question  and pictures.

Palpability  and rippling of breast implants may be related to several factors. These include the amount of soft tissue and breast tissue coverage over the breast implants, the position of the breast implants (submuscular versus sub glandular), the type of implants (saline versus silicone), and the degree of overfilling of saline filled implants. Generally, weight loss will accentuate any rippling/palpability  of the implants.  Deflation of   saline implants will also increase the rippling/palpability of the implants.

In your case, it is very likely that revisionary surgery may be helpful to you. This operation may involve replacing the breast implants into the sub muscular (dual plane) position and/or the use of allograft  material (if necessary). Of course, precise advice will necessitate direct examination and a full communication of your goals.