Will 250-275cc Silicone Breast Implant Result in a C Cup?

I am getting Breast Augmentation done in 2 weeks. I am currently a 32A cup 5'2" 105 lbs and I would like to be a C cup.

My surgeon is talking about placing a 250-275 cc Silicone breast implant. Do you think that will get me to be a C cup?

The infamous C cup

+2

Smilee,

If you feel like you believe these blogs more than in your plastic surgeon, you don't need another implant...you need another plastic surgeon.

Almost everybody your size wants a C cup. Well, almost everybody - some unique cases come to mind but it's good to hear that you want a reasonable result. We've all done patients your size, lots. This is a very tasteful choice and your plastic surgeon probably wants you to look classy so don't get too nervous by our blog comments.. we're just blogging and you need to trust a plastic surgeon that examined you. The implant sounds a bit small to me also, but again, I haven't examined you so he knows best. Another possibility is that you may have since gained a bit of confidence in the idea and now you're comfortable with a larger implant... that happens often.

You're an A and you want to be a C. Simple right? Not so. You should visit with your plastic surgeon while there's still time to resize. Sometimes i'll get patients to try on sizers in the office to get a feel for the implants she is choosing. She'll look through the photo album and find someone with her features and we'll know what implant that patient used. Lastly, a good communication tool is to bring in photos of girls with your figure and your desired breast size. This is just an estimate, you are not using it as a guarantee, but if you show your plastic surgeon a photo of a girl with what he sees as a D and you see as just right, then he'll be using a different implant.

Think of the comments that you made during your first consultation. Those are very important to me when I'm listening to my patients expectations. If you said "I really want them to look natural on my body" or "I just don't want them to be noticeable by everyone" or similar comments, then he's trying to protect you from this social circumstance while still filling your soft tissue envelope according to his physical examination (when he measured you). It is very common to be hesitant on the size you're picking and impossible for someone on this blog to tell you what size you should be using.

It's nice to hear that you've selected silicone, I think that's a good bet since your breasts will be more implant material than breast tissue so you want it to feel as natural as possible.

Best wishes on your augmentation, you're probably going to look great with whichever implant you choose. In general, patients with your build are the easiest augmentations to get a result that looks smashing.

Bra cup size determination or prediction following breast enlargement or implant augmentation

+2

There are no absolutes and no charts that can accurately predict your breast size cup following augmentation. Your best option is to try a 250 sizer on now and then place a soft elastic bra over this to "predict" your final volume if placing the implant submuscularly (under the muscle). Use a 275 sizer if placing the implant under the gland and over the muscle.

Should you desire there are breast implant sizer kits available over the internet for purchase.

Then place a desired C cup bra over the combo (elastic garment +sizer) to preview your result.

A general rule is that 175-200 will take you up a cup size. However, I am sure that you realize that a Donna Karan size 4 is not the same as an Anne Klein size 4. The same goes for C cup bras.

Breast implant sizes and cup sizes.

+2

Hi!

The implant sizes you are considering are reasonable estimates. For a woman of your size, 275 cc's will usually create a 2 cup size increase. But this is only an educated guess.

The important point is that it is not your responsibility to pick breast implants. It is your surgeon's responsibility. All you need to do is tell your surgeon that you want to be a C cup, which sounds like a good goal.

The final implant size should not be arbitrarily picked in advance. Your surgeon needs to have an inventory of different implants available in the operating room.

We put disposable implant SIZERS in the patient's breasts during surgery. That way we can actually see, with no guess work, which implant size gives you the nicest C cup. Then we discard the sizers, and open the correct permanent implants from our inventory.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast cup size

+2

What is more important to answer your question is the proportions of your breasts and your chest measurements (chest diameter, breast width and height, level of nipples, etc). Many women are an A cup but are close to a B cup and at your height and weight you may be close to a C cup with a 275cc implant. It may not hurt to go a little larger if you would rather err on the larger side, BUT your surgeon after evaluating you skin elasticity as well as breast tissue (Pinch test) can let you know if this would "overstretch" the skin. Trust your surgeon or get a second opinion, but don't be afraid to let your desires be known.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Implant size

+1
Every woman has a different body type and goal, meaning that the same implant won’t be satisfactory for all patients. Dimensional breast augmentation solves this problem by using a formula that calculates pre-surgery body measurements and expectations. This helps the surgeon to find the most appropriate implant size and style to achieve the most natural-looking results.

To ensure that the formula works — and to help you visualize the prospective change — you will be given different sizers of breast implants to try on and assess. This ensures that the post-operative results will be as close to your intended results as possible. If trying on a certain size looks or feels unnatural, it’s easy to change before going forward with your surgery.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Will 250-275cc silicone breast implant result in a C cup?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question. In general, implant size does not correlate with bra cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance. Given your desires, a breast augmentation, with an implant or fat grafting, would be an ideal procedure that would meet your expectations. Breast augmentation is now the most popular procedure performed in plastic surgery today. One tolerated very well by women with minimal downtime and high patient satisfaction.

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, etc). Your height, weight, breast width, and body habitus will make a difference for which implant style/projection to choose. Implant profile will also make a difference on the projection, which will influence overall breast/cup size. I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you of results. Sizers are helpful during an in-office consultation. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width. This is the most important determinant for the sizing of implants, which will provide the optimal result and most aesthetically-pleasing result for you.

Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon well-versed in breast procedures who will examine and discuss with you the various options and factors to consider and help you decide which one will be the right one for you. Hope me that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Cup size goals and breast implants

+1

It is very difficult to predict what cup size you will be after your procedure.  Cup sizes are not standardized.  So a D cup in one designer could be a C cup or B cup in another designer.   This is the approach I use to help guide my patients with their implant size selection:

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  If you have decided on saline implants, then based on the gel sizer you select, we can guide you to the saline implant that achieves a similar look.
Hope this helps.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Implant Selection

+1

Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection to replace an in office exam and good communication with a board certified plastic surgeon.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

It depends on many variables

+1

When I see patients for breast enhancement, I will ask them what breast cup size they are now and what size they want to be. Based on their height, weight, age, whether or not they have had children, whether or not they have breast-fed, whether or not they have had significant weight change, are all contributing factors as to will be needed to achieve the result they're looking for. I encourage patients to bring in also to refer them to specific websites including my own where they can see how patients look. By looking at before and after photos of other patients whose breasts are similar to theirs,. and whose weight and height are similar, they can get a better idea of what cup size they are aiming for.

Joseph M. Perlman, MD

Do not focus on cup size

+1

It is important not to try to chase a cup size as these changes depending on the bra type. More focus on shape and look should be placed. However to address your concern this is a small implant and will not make you a C if you are an A. You need an average of 150-250 per cup size. Best of luck!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS