I Am 23 Days Post Upper & Lower Blepharoplasty. Still Have Lumps on Outer Corner of Each Eye Where the Stiches Were? (photo)

They haven't gone down and am concerned about them, are very noticeable. Also a rippling in the inner corner of my upper lid. And there's a small part of my lower lid that isn't closing up like the rest of my lowers have. The far corner of the white in this eye is quite red and that hasn't changed either. I felt that I'd be more healed and those bumps would have gone down by now. Have an event next week that they assured me would be hardly noticeable by now. Called Dr., said to massage tissue.

I Am 23 Days Post Upper & Lower Blepharoplasty. Still Have Lumps on Outer Corner of Each Eye Where the Stiches Were?

+2

Unfortunately there are ALWAYS unforeseen complications that can occur with ANY cosmetic surgery. In your case you have three. The upper lateral incision has a type of "dog ear" deformity. That is small amount of extra skin causing the "lump". Only minor revision can correct. Second issue is the medial/nasal lower lid incision might have a retain piece of suture or a forming cyst. This could be addressed by a slight re opening of the area to see, than placing one suture if needed. Finally, the expectation of healing. On average quad belpharoplasties heals by 2 weeks but there are always exceptions, as in your case. Thus you WILL NOT be fully recovered for you event by next week. I explain to my patients if you have an event in the future plan on a full month to 6 weeks before. But you also need a surgeon who will address these very minor issues in a more timely matter/fashion.  

Incisional Bumps after Blepharoplasty

+2

Small lumps are common at the lateral canthal incisions in the first few months after blepharoplasty surgery. They often are just reactions to the deeper sutures that usually will resolve on their own. They may also represent some bunching of the tissues which likewise will settle with more healing time.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Lumpiness of lower eyelid incisions

+2

You do have a mild degree of lumpiness of your incision which is totally normal for this point.  Continue to follow your surgeon's instructions for wound care and massage.  Over  the next few weeks this unevenness should get better.  

Small bumps three weeks after blepharoplasty should resolve with time.

+2

I don't see anything alarming in the photograph. Small bumps particularly over the lateral canthus are fairly common.

Recovery after upper and lower blepharoplasty

+2

Recovery after any surgery, including blepharoplasty, can vary by individual.  It is also not uncommon for one eye to heal differently or faster than the other.  Healing after surgery is a gradual process and should be improving with time.  It can take several months and sometimes longer for the healing to be completed.  The bump you see at the outer portion of your eye should still subside with more time.  The small section under your eyelid that isn't closed as the rest of your lower eyelid should also improve with more time.  I would wait at least 6 months to see how things look at that point, but if for some reason you are still having the issues you are  now, there are minor procedures that can be done to improve them.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bumpy Incisions After Blepharoplasty

+1

Due to the fact that eyelid skin is very thin, it is common to have minor lumps and bumps that frequently last longer that 23 days. Epidermal inclusion cysts are common and visable scars are also common and can usually be camouflaged with a little makeup. As a surgeon, one tries to approximate the time to healing but you can only give the average time to 100% healing: some heal faster and some slower, you appear to be one of the slow ones. 

Paul S. Howard, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty and bumps

+1

Soemtimes patients develop small bumps at the suture site which usually settle with time. Important to follow them closely with your doctor.