Prominent Malar Bags - How Do I Remove Them?

21, Male, I have prominent malar bags which are very noticable now and make me look tired and old. This is shattering my self confidence and as a result I will often not go out at all. I realise I am young however I constantly get depressed when seeing myself in a mirror. Please tell me there is something I can do! :(

Treatment of malar bags

+2

The treatment depends on the cause. If it is water related swelling due to allergies you need to have those allergies treated first. If it is deeper fat that has pushed through between the muscle fibers to create the bulge then the fat can be removed with a small liposuction cannula. You can see a photo of this on my real self before and after photo section and access it via my profile page.

Malar Bags are difficlt

+1

Malar bags are very difficult to to treat. They are due to fluid retention. The first thing I ask patients to do is to decrease their salt intake. This helps some of them. Occasionally steroid injections can help. Good luck.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Malar Bags

+1

The bags under your eyes appear to be fluid retention which usually cannot be treated surgically.  You also appear to have a "tear trough" depression in the lower eye area which can also contribute to making you look older and tired.  This depression is usually caused by a loss of fat in the area that joins the cheek and lower eyelid.  It is more commonly seen in older patients.  You could consider the injection of a temporary filler such as Juvederm or Restylane to plump the area.  This would fill in the tear trough and possibly make the bags less noticeable and make you look less tired.

Bags under the eyes are typically caused by fluid retention which can be caused by genetics, allergies or another medical condition.  If they are caused by allergies or a medical condition then you will want to seek the appropriate medication or treatment best suited for your condition. 

Arnold Zweig, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon