I Am 20 and Have Enormous Puffy Bags Under my Eyes. What Kind of Surgery Should I Get?

I am only 20 and I have always had horrible dark circles under my eyes. Since 18 I noticed that the dark circles were turning into bags and they are only getting worse, rounder and fattier.My mums family all have horrible big fatty sacks under their eyes. Everybody thinks I am tired when im not and lately I honestly feel like I could pass for 35. I also have bad allergies which make them a lot worse. I am depressed and I just want to look my age. Please help me.

Conservative Eyelid Surgery

It is not unusual to see this type of "puffiness" at your age. The most effective way to resolve your problem is to have a transconjunctival lower blepharoplasty. It is critical that your surgeon be very conservative with fat removal because you could appear hollowed out if too much is taken. It is better to surgically under-treat than over-treat your problem. I hope you find this helpful.

Transconjuntival Lower Blepharoplasty in a 20 year old

You are an excellent candidate for transconjunctival lower blepharoplasty. The procedure takes under an hour, can be done comfortably under sedation, and yields permanent results with no external or visible incision lines.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Under eye bags - There are several options

Based on your photos, it appears you some herniation of the fat in the lower part of your eye socket.  You may get some improvement with facial fillers, but a lower eyelid blepharoplasty with fat transposition done from an incision on the inside of the eyelid will be the longest lasting option. It will release the tissue holding back the fat so it can move into the groove between the eyelid and cheek.  This restores the youthful look of the lower eyelid.  

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bags under the eyes at 20

If they are truly enormous at age 20, then this is a hereditary problem and you may have undeveloped bony structure under the lower lids, called the infraorbital rims. The bags, which are pseudo-herniated fat pads can be reduced through an incision inside of the lower lids, and it may be necessary to insert a silicone implant as well. This is very successful in the right patient done by someone who is experienced in the procedure. The implants must be tailored to the patient.

Alternative treatments, much more temporary, would be filling the depression under the bags with a filler or fat grafts. Correcting deficiencies in this area can be extremely satisfying for the patient and doctor. Both reducing the fat "bags" and the implant are permanent, but the trial with the fillers is a good idea to see if this is satisfactory for you. If it is,then athemore permanent solutions mentioned above can be performed.

Enormous Puffy Bags under Eyes and Dark Circles requires surgery for effective removal

Even though you are young, surgery is the most effective solution for bags and dark circles under the eyes.

Especially in a younger person you want conservative safe surgery.

Your procedure should be done through a Transconjunctival incision inside the eyelid to avoid a visible scar and avoid a change in your eyelid shape that can happen when an external Blepharopolasty incision is made.

The transconjunctival approach avoids removing skin. In addition the fat causing the bags can be transferred or grafted into the dark circle to plump the depression and remove the shadow causing the dark circle.

The procedure is called a Transconjunctival Belpharoplasty with Arcus Margunalis Release and Fat Grafting.

You can read more about it in the link below.

Fillers if not injected properly can make your Dark Circles under the Eye worse. If you chose this approach find an expert who can show you photos of their results.

Puffy bags in 20 year old

Yes, you DO have puffy bags which could be treated surgically.  But surgery is not always the right answer and some times there are complications.   I think it would be most prudent for you to consider an under eye filler for now.  This may give you the results you are seeking and successfully delay surgery for years.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

What to do for puffy lower eyelid bags in a 20 year old?

Lower Eyelid Bags can be caused by many different issues. Sometimes a combination of issues are contributing to the dark, heavy look of the lower lids. Changes in skin, fluid accumulation, muscle, fat from the eye socket, and changes in the cheek and surrounding structures can all contribute. It is important to have an experienced physician evaluate your eyelids to determine all the changes that need to be addressed to achieve your goals. At your age, I am very hesitant to recommend surgery. As described before, transconjunctival blepharoplasty with fat transposition may be an good option. However, in many cases, in office procedures can be used to improved the shadowing and baggy appearance of the lid. I commonly use injections such as Restylane, and Voluma in combination with skin rejuvenation to improve the lower eyelids without surgery.

Jeffrey M. Joseph, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Minimally Invasive Blepharoplasty is an option

Thank you for your photographs.  You are of course, fairly young and I do see the area of concern regarding excess bags of your eyes. It would certainly be possible to perform a minimally invasive eyelid rejuvenation procedure.this wouldn't have an incision on the inside of the eyelid in an effort to smooth and contour of fat. Your deformity is caused by a membrane of the lower eyelid the orbital septum.  This structure can often be re- positioned in an effort to improve the overall appearance of the lower eyelid. Its important to find a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in rejuvenation of the lower eyelids in young patients.  This can certainly be a very big improvement .  Best of luck, Dr. Pacella

Puffy lower eyelids

From your picture it looks like your condition is congenital ( I bet your relatives have a similar amount of puffiness) and not likely to get significantly better with conservative approaches such as fillers, peels, etc. You look to be a good candidate for lower eyelid blepharoplasty, probably through a transconjuctival approach ( inside the eyelid)

G. Wesley Price, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

You have significant loss of the volume of the orbital rim ( eye socket rim) and associated with pseudo herniation of the fat.

Ideal solution would be 
1. Surgical removal of fat by the transconjunctival route and the amount of fat excised is minimal.
2. You need to add volume to 'build up' your deficient eye socket rim. It can be done with an Implant or with Fillers.

It may be a good idea to try the non surgical approach with Fillers first followed by the Surgical options depending on the results.