I Am 20 and Have Enormous Puffy Bags Under my Eyes. What Kind of Surgery Should I Get?

I am only 20 and I have always had horrible dark circles under my eyes. Since 18 I noticed that the dark circles were turning into bags and they are only getting worse, rounder and fattier.My mums family all have horrible big fatty sacks under their eyes. Everybody thinks I am tired when im not and lately I honestly feel like I could pass for 35. I also have bad allergies which make them a lot worse. I am depressed and I just want to look my age. Please help me.

Enormous Puffy Bags under Eyes and Dark Circles requires surgery for effective removal

+3

Even though you are young, surgery is the most effective solution for bags and dark circles under the eyes.

Especially in a younger person you want conservative safe surgery.

Your procedure should be done through a Transconjunctival incision inside the eyelid to avoid a visible scar and avoid a change in your eyelid shape that can happen when an external Blepharopolasty incision is made.

The transconjunctival approach avoids removing skin. In addition the fat causing the bags can be transferred or grafted into the dark circle to plump the depression and remove the shadow causing the dark circle.

The procedure is called a Transconjunctival Belpharoplasty with Arcus Margunalis Release and Fat Grafting.

You can read more about it in the link below.

Fillers if not injected properly can make your Dark Circles under the Eye worse. If you chose this approach find an expert who can show you photos of their results.

Transconjuntival Lower Blepharoplasty in a 20 year old

+2

You are an excellent candidate for transconjunctival lower blepharoplasty. The procedure takes under an hour, can be done comfortably under sedation, and yields permanent results with no external or visible incision lines.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Under eye bags - There are several options

+2

Based on your photos, it appears you some herniation of the fat in the lower part of your eye socket.  You may get some improvement with facial fillers, but a lower eyelid blepharoplasty with fat transposition done from an incision on the inside of the eyelid will be the longest lasting option. It will release the tissue holding back the fat so it can move into the groove between the eyelid and cheek.  This restores the youthful look of the lower eyelid.  

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bags under the eyes at 20

+2

If they are truly enormous at age 20, then this is a hereditary problem and you may have undeveloped bony structure under the lower lids, called the infraorbital rims. The bags, which are pseudo-herniated fat pads can be reduced through an incision inside of the lower lids, and it may be necessary to insert a silicone implant as well. This is very successful in the right patient done by someone who is experienced in the procedure. The implants must be tailored to the patient.

Alternative treatments, much more temporary, would be filling the depression under the bags with a filler or fat grafts. Correcting deficiencies in this area can be extremely satisfying for the patient and doctor. Both reducing the fat "bags" and the implant are permanent, but the trial with the fillers is a good idea to see if this is satisfactory for you. If it is,then athemore permanent solutions mentioned above can be performed.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Puffy bags in 20 year old

+2

Yes, you DO have puffy bags which could be treated surgically.  But surgery is not always the right answer and some times there are complications.   I think it would be most prudent for you to consider an under eye filler for now.  This may give you the results you are seeking and successfully delay surgery for years.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1
 You have significant loss of the volume of the orbital rim ( eye socket rim) and associated with pseudo herniation of the fat.

Ideal solution would be 
1. Surgical removal of fat by the transconjunctival route and the amount of fat excised is minimal.
2. You need to add volume to 'build up' your deficient eye socket rim. It can be done with an Implant or with Fillers.

It may be a good idea to try the non surgical approach with Fillers first followed by the Surgical options depending on the results.

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Enormous puffy bags under the eyelids at age 20

+1
 It is very important to get your allergies under control. This is most likely causing the puffiness under  the lower lids. Allergy treatments include cortisone nasal sprays, antihistamines, and decongestants. Allergy testing can also be performed through skin testing or blood testing. Environmental avoidance can be used once you know what you're allergic to. Once you andr allergies are under control,  it is also important to make sure  you all are on a low-salt diet and there are no underlying thyroid conditions.
 Once all of the above conditions have been met, then consideration for a trans-conjunctival approach for conservative fat pad removal on the lower lids to remove the bags. For many examples, please see the link below to our eyelid surgery photo gallery

Lower Eyelid Puffy Bag Correction

+1

First and foremost, you need to get your allergies under control. See an allergist if necessary. Once this is done if you still have this problem I would recommend the following treatment of Lower Lid Bags in Young People:

From your description, limited photograph, and young age you most likely have familial fat pad prominence. If this is the case then removing the fat pads from an invisible incision just inside your lower eyelid (transconjunctival approach) can remove or reposition your fat pads so that they no longer are bulging

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Treating under eyelid protruding fat bags

+1

Unlike the other two questions I answered concerning lower eyelid problems, your problem is protruding lower eyelid fat bags-indeed, they appear to be protruding beyond your lower cheekbone which is relatively flat in relationship to your eyeball itself. Because of your unique anatomy any fat that protrudes is immediately visible.

The approach that I would utilize would be a transconjunctival one that utilizes an incision behind the lower eyelid. Through this incision I would reduce the fat. This approach is the safest in terms of avoiding any change in your lower eyelid shape. For the hollows below the fat bag, I would perform fat transfer because, in my hands, it is  the safest and most reliable technique in creating a beautifully smooth transition from your lower eyelid into your your cheek itself. Fat transfer can also be added to your apple of your cheek to give it more convexity and protrusion in relationship to the eyeball.

Of course, there are other techniques as mentioned by the other experienced surgeons in their answers to your questions, But I agree with Dr. Seckel's approach below. drhaworth.com.

Randal Haworth, MD

Under eye bags at 20

+1
Yes, you do have those bags, notwithstanding your youth. I would recommend first treating you with Restylane to improve your appearance and also suggest that you see an allergist for control of the allergic rhinitis and factors which can certainly contribute to the bags. Of you smok, please consider stopping as smoking worsens the condition and contributes to premature aging of the face.

Robert L. Kraft, MD