Is 18 Years Old Too Young for a Chemical Peel?

I want to do a Derma Peel but some people have told me 18 years old is too young for a chemical peel. I have acne scars and a couple blemishes that come up often. My esthetician recommended the Derma Peel and she didn't say it would be harming for my skin. Will it leave a negative effect on my skin? Is it bad to do it at this age?

Chemical Peel, types & indications

+1

Chemical Peel is generally used for pigmentation problems, Acne & acne scars. There is a whole range of chemical peels with different concentrations/ strengths.

Depending upon the indication & skin type, a dermatologist can decide best peel for you.

Age is not a problem & at 18 you can go for peel.

I will suggest you to please visit your nearby dermatologist for proper assessment & better management.

Pakistan Dermatologist

Chemical peels can be very helpful in acne in people of all ages.

+1

Chemical peels can be very helpful in acne in people of all ages. However the proper type of peel must be used.You should see a dermatologist in your area to get the best advice on which peel would help you.

Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Peels Are A Good Option For Teens With Acne

+1

Chemical peels are a great treatment for teens with acne and acne scarring. A solution is applied to the face that "peels" off the top layers of the skin. This helps even out the tone and texture of the skin, eapecially if acne scarring is present. It also makes it easier for acne medicines to penetrate and get into the pores where they have their effect.

Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

The peel your aesthetician will do is very mild.

+1

I would encourage you to see a board certified cosmetic dermatologist.  They perform a broader range of chemical peels but more important they understand skin disease and cosmetic skin issues.  They can be much more comprehensive in their approach to helping your skin and ultimately this is best for your complexion.

Chemical peels do well for teenagers with acne.

+1

Chemical peels are commonly used for teenagers with acne and marks of the skin as well as discolorations.  Do expect to  get several since 1 or 2 doesn't do too much since they are very light.  you will need a prescription bleaching cream as well.  Also know that the skin discolorations commonly referred to as melasma is a chronic problem and the dark spots will return if you don't do preventive measures such as occasional bleaching cream and always sunscreens.

sincerely,

david hansen,md

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.