Is Melanage the Correct Procedure For My Skin Issues And Dark Skin?

I am an African American female with medium complextion. I have fairly large pores on my face on the cheek area, acne scaring as well as blackheads under the skin. I also have some discoloration from sun damage and acne. My plastic surgeon is recommending Melanage Chemical Peel. I know it will help with discoloration but what about the enlarged pores and under the skin blackheads? I have already tried other chemical peels, to no avail! Thank you.

Melanage for left-over dark spots

+1

I have used Melanage successfully for this type of color and consider it an excellent treatment. There is always a chance of darker skin after peeling, but it has not been an issue. Emptying out the pores will make them appear smaller, and keeping them empty with light peels, facials and topicals will help. The "underground" blackheads are another issue.  An evaluation for acne treatment with isotretinoin may be indicated.

Miami Dermatologist

Melanage Peel for postinflammatory hyperpigmentation

+1

I perform the procedure in my office and using Melange for postinflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH) is overly agressive! It is more suitable for melasma or dermal pigment. You risk developing oeverall facial PIH with the treatment.

Washington Dermatologic Surgeon