18 Month Post-op Rhinoplasty. I Still Have a Constant Runny Nose, is This Normal? Part 2 (photo)

i had rhinoplasty 18months ago and it still hasnt stopped running.i saw my plastic surgen today and he suggested it was the change in weather but it runs immedietly after heavy excercise or tilting my head forward. which would not relate to the weather at all. to be honest he seemed to not want to know about it. i lke the side profile alot but from the front i think its too "boxy".my dad is a gp and said i might get a ct scan.i researched my surgen and have seen alot of bad reviews online

Previous Question

Runny nose after rhinoplasty

+2
Hi there There are several reasons for a runny nose after rhinoplasty. I have good advice for you: get a referral to the nose lab in Sydney. I'm a Melbourne plastic surgeon, and send patients to Sydney for their evaluation as I think the nose lab is excellent, the best rhino logic evaluation service in Australia. If necessary, also book a consultation with Prof Richard Harvey, the e n t surgeon who runs that lab. The waiting time is a few months but it is worth it and will sort your problems out for sure. Good luck

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty does produce a runny nose.

+1

Hello Benjie777r;

In a small percentage of patients, there is a tendency to have some clear drainage come from the nose after rhinoplasty.  If this is constant, and there is no sign of infection, there may be some relief for you.  Certain oral medications, used for asthma and other conditions, can be very helpful.  It would be wise to discuss that with your physician. 

Interestingly, we rarely see this condition after rhinoplasty, septoplasty, and turbinate resection, but somehow, the rhinoplasty-only operation seems to have a propensity for this.  No one that I know has a plausible explanation for why the nose should produce watery drainage after a purely cosmetic procedure has been done. 

Regarding the questions you had about the profile, it is a little difficult to tell from these photographs, but there is no relationship between the "boxy" shape of your tip and the drainage that concerns you.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON

Robert Kotler, MD

Constant Runny Nose 18 Months Post Rhinoplasty

+1

lastyt is not normal to have a constant runny nose 18 months after rhinoplasty. I suggest you get a second opinon - your father, who is a physician, can help you arrange an evaluation of your nasal function as well as appearance.

18 Month Post-op Rhinoplasty. I Still Have a Constant Runny Nose, is This Normal?

+1

IMHO, the nasal mucosa, lining the inside of the nose, does go through a traumatic adjustment after a Rhinoplasty.  However, 18 months seems a bit long for this and you should be evaluated by an allergist to see what's causing the rhinitis as well as a thorough nasal exam by your Rhinoplasty Surgeon or an ENT surgeon to rule out other causes.