Why Do I Have a Small Bump Inside my Nose After my Rhinoplasty?

I had primary rhinoplasty 10 days ago and love the results so far! I had the bump removed from my bridge, tip reduction and alar base reduction. However, I've noticed a small hard bump inside my nose. It does hurt when i touch it (when im cleaning the inside of my nose). There isn't any discharge though. Could this be an infection? I have 1 month follow up app, should I see him earlier?

After rhinoplasty: why a small bump inside the nose

+1

You asked the question 10 days after rhinoplasty surgery.  It is very important to understand that if you have any questions, you need to see your plastic surgeon immediately.  Could it be an infection?  Possibly.  In any event, you are entitled to some peace of mind. 

Frankly, I just saw a patient, whose rhinoplasty I performed yesterday, and she, too, has a bump inside her nose. But I know exactly why.  It's in an area that needed some additional dissection and  the bump is only a little swelling.  I was not concerned, explained it to her, and now she is also not concerned. 

But, in your case, a follow-up appointment one month from now will not answer the question soon enough.

I am sure your doctor would like to see you if you have any questions and, most importantly, if there is a problem, it is always better to deal with the problem sooner rather than later!

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETSOF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON

Bump inside Nose after Rhinoplasty

+1

Small bumps inside the nose are common after immediately after rhinoplasty. 10 days is still very early in the recovery period. Commonly these bumps are such things as crust, dried blood, or stitches. Sometimes a temporary internal splint is used to help the healing, which is removed at some point after surgery. Follow the postoperative care instructions provided by your plastic surgeon. Speak with him/her regarding any concerns you may have. Best of luck. 

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Bump is most likely a localized reaction to a suture but you should call and ask your Rhinoplasty Surgeon.  I don't allow my Rhinoplasty patients to clean their noses for several months after the Rhinoplasty as this can aggrevate the sutures on the inside of the nose.  This could be making the bump more tender.  In any case, you should follow your surgeons instructions.

Small Bump Inside the Nose After Rhinoplasty

+1

Thank you for your question. There are several possible explanations for the small bump that you describe. If you are concerned, then you should see your surgeon for a checkup. Especially in the early postoperative period, you should not hesitate to seek guidance and advice from your surgeon. Manually cleaning the inside of the nose is generally discouraged following surgery and can itself contribute to crusting and tenderness. Good luck.

James M. Pearson, MD

Small Bump in Nose 10 Days Post Rhinoplasty.

+1

There are many possible reasons for a small bump in your nose 10 days after rhinoplasty, almost all of them benign and insignificant. However, call your surgeon and follow his/her advice.

Small bump inside nose after rhinoplasty

+1

It can be difficult to say what the small bump is about without an exam, though common causes are a suture, or a small buckle or edge in the cartilage. Infection is very uncommon, though if you are worried, your surgeon should be happy to take a look.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Ten days after Rhinoplasty

+1

A small hard bump inside your nose ten days after rhinoplasty may be many things - the incision, scar, the edge of the cartilage, an ingrown hair, and yes even infection. If you are concered enough to post your question here, it is worth making a brief follow-up appointment with your surgeon to get checked out. If it is normal, you will be reassured; if it is trouble, you will get treated faster. Either way, you win.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon