10 Weeks Post Op Face & Neck Lift, Edema in Jowls, When Will It Dissipate?

I had a face neck lift, now 10 weeks post op, little swelling & bruising after op, feel good & had a great surgeon but have some edema in jowls, surgeon says it will settle down, had 1 session of MLD with other sessions booked, how long before the oedema goes, I drink 4 litres of water every day, eat healthy, no salt & have 2 cups of fennel tea daily Hope someone can re assure me Thank you

Lower face edema

+2

As stated by others by 10 weeks most but not all of the swelling is typically gone.  Typically by 6 months all swelling is gone.  Follow-up with your PS.

Swelling following a facelift

+2

Dear Patient, Generally speaking, 10 weeks following a face and neck lift surgery, the swelling should have decreased. However, I suggest you consult your plastic surgeon and follow his instructions. 

Teanoosh Zadeh, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Continue doing what you are doing

+2

Thank you for the question. Aside from drinking all that water, you should continue to do what you are doing. The residual jowling etc. may improve but there is really nothing to do now anyway so you may just want to settle in and wait for the healing to continue. If a revision is necessary, nothing should be done until all of the edema has resolved and you have a mature scar; roughly 6 months.

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Swelling and healing after a face lift

+2

I'd say things should continue to improve.  10 weeks, surprisingly, is still somewhat early in the healing process.    I'm sure your surgeon did and excellent job.  Your results will be mature in another month or so.  Everyone is a little different.  If the jowling continues you may need a little cheek and midface volume with fat or Sculptra.

Keep close followup wihth your surgeon

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Edema in jowls after face lift at 10 weeks

+2

This will eventually improve. You should get 60 % of your healing at 6 weeks and 80-90% at 6 months. This can include many thing including swelling, redness, pain, etc as a general rule. It might just take time. I would suggest that if there is swelling that you use some extra pressure applied to those areas during this time and you can do it at night. Swelling can also be reduced through judicious application of tape. But you have to know how to do this.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Facelift Surgery

+2

Swelling after most facial surgeries takes a fair bit of time to completely resolve.  I typically counsel my patients that after a lower lift, the most noticeable edema will resolve within the first few weeks.  That being said, at six months there is still swelling which contributes volume to the cheeks which many patients find ideal.  It is not until a full 10-12 months after surgery before I can confidently say that all of the postoperative swelling is gone. 

Hope this helps.

Christopher Kolstad, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after facelift.

+2
Swelling after facelift surgery generally settles in the first few weeks.  There are situations where patients  have prolonged swelling.  If  you had a postoperative fluid collection, hematoma or seroma and if it was not drained this can take along time to settle.  You should see your surgeon to review your situation.  If you have persisitent jowls post facelift this is different than  post operative swelling and may require surgical touch up.

Philip Solomon, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Facelift

+2

It sounds like you are doing everything right.  Without seeing before and after pictures or seeing you in person, it is impossible to give you specific advice.  However, most of the swelling will go away in the first few weeks, but you will continue to see changes over the next few months.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Swelling following facelift

+1
It takes months for the swelling to resolve completely following a full facelift.  In some cases additional work is done in the jowls that may prolong the recovery even more.  The good news is that you tend to look better and better as you recover during the first six months.  Good luck.

David Stoker, MD

Swelling after Facelift

+1

Although you probabaly feel pretty normal 10 weeks after the surgery, it is not unusual to continue to experience some swelling post op. I find the jowl is often the last area for swelling to dissipate. Don't be too anxious as it sounds like you have a lot of confidence in your surgeon and you will likely be very pleased long term

J. Kevin Duplechain, MD, FACS
Lafayette Facial Plastic Surgeon