Swelling 2 Weeks and 2 Days After Facelift, When Can I Expect this to go Down?

It has been 2 weeks and 2 days after my facelift. Only my neck has a little bruising. The swelling in face has gone down a lot but there still some. My neck is more swollen and a bit lumpy. When can I expect my neck to be more normal? I hate turtleneck sweaters and I have to go back to work in a few days and I don't want to tell anyone. I want the "refreshed" and not the "surgical" look. Thanks.

Swelling in Normal 4 weeks to 3 months after surgery

+2

Most of my patients experience bruising and swelling for at least 4-8 weeks that is noticeable enough that they feel the need to camouflage and cover up. Between 8-12 weeks the signs are less noticeable, but some swelling still remains. To lesson your swelling AVOID any strenuous activity and bending over...and be patient, it will resolve soon enough.

Best of Luck, Dr. Clevens

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling can take time to resolve following a neck and facelift

+2

Swelling can commonly last for 6-8 weeks following a facelift and it can take up to 6 months for the final outcome to show itself. Most people can get back to work 10-14 days after a facelift but it is very important not to over exert yourself. The more strenuous your activity level is following surgery the longer it will take to heal. I would be patient, continue to ice, and wear a compression garment at least at night as this can help. 

Todd C. Miller, MD

Takes time for tissue to settle down after facelift

+2

certainly not unusual to have some residual swelling or irregularities of contour so soon after facelift surgery. can take weeks for some things to settle down. that said, your surgeon should still be following you closely and you should be asking questions about any concerns that come up. better to ask about something that is normal, than not making surgeon aware of something that turns out to be significant!

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Swelling following a Face Lift

+2

It is not unusual to have some swelling after a face lift.  Certain techniques, such as deep plane and subperiosteal face lifts seem to create more swelling.  Using the high-SMAS technique that we employ, most of the swelling is gone by about 10 days postoperatively.  There can be some residual swelling in the temples and at the lowest point of dissection in the neck that may take a little longer fo resolve.  You may want to see your plastic surgeon to see if there is any fluid collection that may need to be aspirated. 

Michael Sundine, MD

Swelling takes time from a face and neck lift

+2

Generally I tell my clients that the healing from most facial plastic surgery procedures is 60% complete at 6 weeks, and 90% at 6 months. I tell them that swelling, healing, recovery and the amount of exertion you should do should be based on these numbers. For your swelling to speed it up, your physician can prescribe your oral steroids, inject steroids, and also you might want to try to wrap your neck and put extra gauze on the areas that are particularly swollen.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

If you are only two weeks following a full facelift, it will take much longer for all of the swelling to subside. There is some swelling even at 6 months. However, practically speaking, you should be able to go out into the public with minimal evidence of having the surgery at 3-4 weeks, providing all of the bruising is gone. Still at this time there will be evidence for the observant friend. Generally, if a more advanced procedure is done, you can expect a longer recovery. The lumpiness should subside with time also.

Using some type of cover-up make up can be of great benefit at this time in your recovery. Be patient and I expect you will be elated. Facelift patients are among my happiest patients.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Wait a few months for swelling to subside

+1
The rate of swelling really depends on the extent of surgery and your recovery rate. Once the majority of swelling goes away, residual swelling subsides very gradually and most patients don't notice when it's totally gone because it's so gradual. This generally takes about a year. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Swelling 2 Weeks after Facelift

+1

Lumpiness and swelling should improve over the next several weeks.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Swelling 2 Weeks and 2 Days After Facelift, When Can I Expect this to go Down

+1

It is common for the neck to take longer as the swelling on the face moves down towards the neck due to gravity, so the neck has to absorb more. Another couple of weeks should do it.

Julio Garcia, MD

2 weeks post-op

+1

Two weeks post surgery is still very early for you to judge the results of your surgery - be patient and follow up with your surgeon

Sam Naficy, MD