Swelling 2 Weeks and 2 Days After Facelift, When Can I Expect this to go Down?

It has been 2 weeks and 2 days after my facelift. Only my neck has a little bruising. The swelling in face has gone down a lot but there still some. My neck is more swollen and a bit lumpy. When can I expect my neck to be more normal? I hate turtleneck sweaters and I have to go back to work in a few days and I don't want to tell anyone. I want the "refreshed" and not the "surgical" look. Thanks.

Swelling in Normal 4 weeks to 3 months after surgery

Most of my patients experience bruising and swelling for at least 4-8 weeks that is noticeable enough that they feel the need to camouflage and cover up. Between 8-12 weeks the signs are less noticeable, but some swelling still remains. To lesson your swelling AVOID any strenuous activity and bending over...and be patient, it will resolve soon enough.

Best of Luck, Dr. Clevens

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling can take time to resolve following a neck and facelift

Swelling can commonly last for 6-8 weeks following a facelift and it can take up to 6 months for the final outcome to show itself. Most people can get back to work 10-14 days after a facelift but it is very important not to over exert yourself. The more strenuous your activity level is following surgery the longer it will take to heal. I would be patient, continue to ice, and wear a compression garment at least at night as this can help. 

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling takes time from a face and neck lift

Generally I tell my clients that the healing from most facial plastic surgery procedures is 60% complete at 6 weeks, and 90% at 6 months. I tell them that swelling, healing, recovery and the amount of exertion you should do should be based on these numbers. For your swelling to speed it up, your physician can prescribe your oral steroids, inject steroids, and also you might want to try to wrap your neck and put extra gauze on the areas that are particularly swollen.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

If you are only two weeks following a full facelift, it will take much longer for all of the swelling to subside. There is some swelling even at 6 months. However, practically speaking, you should be able to go out into the public with minimal evidence of having the surgery at 3-4 weeks, providing all of the bruising is gone. Still at this time there will be evidence for the observant friend. Generally, if a more advanced procedure is done, you can expect a longer recovery. The lumpiness should subside with time also.

Using some type of cover-up make up can be of great benefit at this time in your recovery. Be patient and I expect you will be elated. Facelift patients are among my happiest patients.

Swelling 2 weeks after facelift

Swelling after a facelift is normal and expected. On average, patients can be presentable (with makeup) in 14 days. I don't recommend video appearances for 21 days and flash photography for 3 months. These are averages and so there are patients on either sides of these numbers.

In general, if you have a fuller face, you have more soft tissue than most so you'll hold on to fluid longer and have swelling after facelift longer. If you tend to bruise easily, your body has to clear the bruising so that will increase swelling in the area of the bruise more than average. Patients who have a robust immune system and heal well sometimes will swell even more because it's trying to do it too quickly and it will then take the fluid, from the increase in resources over a short period of time, time to dissipate and increase swelling after facelift. Thicker skin individuals, such as african-americans, asians, hispanics, and oily caucasians, will sometimes take longer to return to normal as well since thicker skin is like having a thicker sponge so swelling takes longer to resolve. Each person is different, but, on average, most people can plan on 14 days for noticeable swelling after facelift and to be presentable, with makeup.

You can improve swelling after facelift by keeping your head elevated the first 2 weeks, applying cool compresses religiously the first week, minimizing activity after surgery, minimizing salt intake 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after surgery, using a steroid pack from your doctor, using a prescription version of arnica montana, and minimizing medications that can make you bruise 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after surgery such as aspirin, ibuprofen, herbal supplements especially green tea, gingko biloba, flax seed, fish oil, and multivitamins, especially those containing Vit E. Participating in lymphatic massages 10 days after the facelift can also help mobilize the fluid and minimize swelling; have a lymphatic massage once a week until the swelling has resolved.

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Each Patient Is Different: Swelling Varies Depending Upon Technique

Swelling following facelift surgery varies from patient to patient and depends on the surgical technique and wound healing characteristics of the patient. The majority of swelling usually resolves in about two weeks following facelift surgery. At this point, most patients can return to work and resume normal activities. In most cases, total resolution takes about three months. In rare cases, swelling may persist for up to a year following surgery.
It’s important to realize that more aggressive facelift procedures cause more swelling, which can last for longer periods of time. Elevation of the head and decreased salt intake may help decrease swelling after surgery. Swelling is normal following surgery, but persistent or extreme swelling should be evaluated by your surgeon, especially if it’s accompanied by bruising.

Long Does the Swelling Supposed to Last After a Face Lift and Neck Lift?

Two month after facelift surgery most of swelling and numbness should be resolved. Initial hematoma or seroma formation can lead to distortion of lymphatic drainage causing prolonged tissue edema beyond two months period. Warm compress followed by deep massage, as well as anti-inflammatory medications will help to reduce edema followed by facelift surgery.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Wait a few months for swelling to subside

The rate of swelling really depends on the extent of surgery and your recovery rate. Once the majority of swelling goes away, residual swelling subsides very gradually and most patients don't notice when it's totally gone because it's so gradual. This generally takes about a year. 

Swelling 2 Weeks after Facelift

Lumpiness and swelling should improve over the next several weeks.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Swelling 2 Weeks and 2 Days After Facelift, When Can I Expect this to go Down

It is common for the neck to take longer as the swelling on the face moves down towards the neck due to gravity, so the neck has to absorb more. Another couple of weeks should do it.

Julio Garcia, MD