Am I a Candidate for a Facelift at 32? (photo)

Hi, I'm 32 year old male, constantly dealing with disbelieving looks when I'm asked my age. I think I need a facelift. I know I'm really young for this, but if I look this bad now and a facelift can help, then why wait? I'd like to enjoy some more my (relative) youth... I've attached a picture, the areas I think I need are a facelift for my jowls, fillers or a submalar implant for my hollow cheeks, and simple fillers for my nasolabial folds. Am I a candidate for a facelift? Thanks

Facelift

+3

As Dr. Finger commented, your primary problem is loss of volume and your results will be much better if you add back some volume in the cheek areas. Fat grafting may be a good answer. Other options would include cheek augmentation with cheek implants which more mimic well formed bones and filler injections which act like fat to augment the soft tissues. When considering a lift, make sure you see a surgeon who has some experience in male face lifts. The goal is quite different than a female lift - men need to maintain a masculine appearance and too often wind up having a feminized unnatural look. Take a look at some of the male celebrities to see what I mean.

Am I a Candidate for a Facelift at 32?

+3

I must admit that even at the age of 32, you could use a facelift, although much of your problem is loss of volume. Your tear trough and mid cheek areas are very "deflated." This loss of volume has contributed to your jowls and generalized sagging by loss of support. If you decide on having a facelift, i would suggest that you have fat transfer at the same time and/or at a later date. The fat will not survive if injected into the area that has been elevated to achieve a facelift. Results from fat grafts can be inconsistent even under the best of conditions. However, I think you would be elated with a facelift with volumizing from fat or other products. Good luck on your trek toward a younger looking face.

I would like to add that premature aging can be from improper nutrition. I have personally seen this numerous times. Keep the simple carbohydrates, trans fats, and saturated fats to a minimal.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Am I a Candidate for Facelift Surgery?

+2

Thank you for including a photograph with your question.  It makes meaningful discussion about relevant therapies a little more attainable. 

One of the most important aspects of whether or not you are a candidate for a facelift are your goals for the procedure.  A lower facelift is a great treatment for sagging jowls and to improve the contours of the neck.  The primary way this is accomplished is by removing excess skin and secondarily by elevating some of the deeper tissues. 

I might suggest that your photographs illustrate aging in the midface to be greater then the aging of the lower face.  Subsequently, you would be better served with a midface lift then with a lower facelift.  With a midface lift the deep tissue of your cheeks and around the lower eyes are elevated and resuspended in a more youthful position.  During this type of procedure I would also recommend fat grafting to help restore some of the lost volume of the midface. 

Hope this helps.

Christopher Kolstad, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift at age 32 ??

+2

Try fillers first.  A skilled operator can fix most of these problems without surgery.  Temporize.  Get some experience with non-surgical treatments.  Treat pigment issues with laser, contour issues with filler and/or small volume liposuction.

Steve Laverson, MD

Male facelift at 32

+2

Yes, a facelift is possible but you may be able to do well with a minifacelift combined with botox, fillers and some fractionated laser resurfacing. Intense pulsed light or a laser can treat the vascular rash on your cheeks.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Facelift versus volume enhancement at 32

+2

An in person exam would allow for a more full assessment, but from your photo it looks like improving your facial volume loss would be very high yield. This could be done with an in-office filler injection or facial fat grafting (which gives longer lasting results).

You would be surprised how the lack of cheek skin support can lead to sagging and jowling. With improving the volume in the area the jawline can show improvement also.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Facelift at 32?

+2

There are many factors that I cannot evaluate from one partial photo that can make you look older than your age. In men! it is usually loss of hair or great loss of weight causing sagging skin that makes one look older than their age. . It would be rare that a young man would be encouraged to have a facelift. You should be seen by a specialist in person. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

I think you will find someone who will perform a facelift for you.

+2

That does not mean that is what you need.  You would do well with facial fillers that might work for you for about a year or more before needing to be topped off.  The advantage of this approach is that it can be performed as an office service and does not require recovery unlike surgery where you might need a couple of weeks of down time.  Also no incisions are used do there are no disfiguring scars on the side of the face which are difficult for men to hide.  Over time as your face changes, the filler service you get can be adjusted to track how your face changes.  Ultimately you decide what approach makes the most sense for you.

Candidate for a facelift

+2

To see if one would like the looks of a facelift I often have them lie down on their backs or recline in an easy chair and look into a mirror to evaluate the change.  In this position gravity will pull the excess skin back and create the changes often achieved with a facelift.  When considering a facelift and fillers I would say most look more natural with a combination of both.  I hope this helps.

Charles Perry, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Facelift at 32?

+2

Yes.  you could have a facelift at age 32.  But this does not mean the long incisions of a standard facelift procedure.  A good surgeon will gear the incision to each patient so certainly a small incision or mini lift procedure might be appropriate.  But I agree with the others who suggested that if you did not want surgery as this time, volume augmentation with semi-permanent  fillers, perhaps Sculptra or Radiesse, might be very helpful at restoring a more youthful appearance.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon