Rhinoplasty, Chin Augmentation, Buccal Fat Removal, and Facial Fat Graphing. West Hollywood, CA

The Consult I had my first consultation with Dr....

The Consult
I had my first consultation with Dr. Motykie on June 14th, 2013. At the time I had only gone to him for rhinoplasty and a chin augmentation only. After much consideration, I went back to have a second consultation for Buccal Fat Removal and Fat Graphing to be completed at the same time. The office building was nice and modern looking, but I soon learned that it was better to park in the street than to park in the structure, as this facility does not validate parking. The cost of the first consultation was $175 that would be put towards your surgery, if you chose to go through with it, and there was no additional charge for the second consultation. Both times I waited 2 hours passed my appointment time to see Dr. Motykie, but once I had him in a room, I realized why; he took his time with his patients. He answered all of my questions thoroughly and went over my expectations with me. He patiently told me which of my expectations he thought was "do-able" and which were unrealistic, something that I greatly appreciated. By the end of the second consult, I really felt that we were on the same page as far as beauty and execution plans.

The Surgery 12/18/14
I had my surgery Thursday 12/18/14. My original surgery time was scheduled for 1:30pm but was pushed back to 3pm due to the first surgery of the day running over. I was slightly relieved to hear this since I was very nervous to have my face operated on, but was also a bit hangry since I was not allowed to eat anything. Once we got to the office we were told that I would need to wait even longer because the first surgery was still not completed. We sat in the waiting room for 3 more hours! I was not in a good mood at that point as I was starving and very very nervous, but at the same time I was hoping that the dr. was taking his time eating lunch and resting up so that he would not be overly tired during my surgery. Finally around 6pm, the a nurse came to get me and take me back to the hospital room.

The hospital staff tried to joke with me (which I appreciated) but was I too nervous and not in the mood. Finally the anethesiologist suggested giving me some "happy juice" to calm me down. The staff also put a massaging machine on my feet to try and get me to relax. Next thing I knew, I was in the recovery room with blood dripping out of my nose (sorry if it's graphic, but this is the good/bad/and ugly!) The nurse immediately put me into a wheel chair (it was after 8pm now), and wheeled me out to my Bf's car.

The First Night
The ride home was miserable. I've had my breasts done before and I was not in as much pain when I went home from that surgery as I was from this surgery (guess I had the "good stuff" for that one). But as miserable as the ride home was, later that night was much worse. I got home, attempted to eat something, my nose continued to bleed through all of my towels until around 1am. I had numbness around my lips, chin, and nose. My teeth felt like someone punched them and I could not see out of my eyes do to swelling. Eventually I fell asleep after the percocet took effect.

Day 2
The second day I woke up feeling MUCH better. The numbness in my face had already disappeared, as did the pain in my teeth. My eyes were still swollen but I could tell that it had gone down some. I could not breath out of my nose and it was still dripping a bit of blood. I could not yet feel any pain from the buccal fat removal or the area on my leg where fat was taken out of. Actually, I could tell that my cheeks looked very sculpted and nice from the Buccal fat removal, and were not puffy at all yet, this is the first thing that really excited me about my surgery. I started taking my antibiotics and steroids expecting an uphill ride from here.

Boy Was I Wrong, Day 3
On the 3rd day I started to develop an iching sensation in my stomach. I figured this was due to healing and didn't think much of it. I noticed that my eye swelling had gone up dramatically, and my bruising increased. I started to feel pain on my inner thigh where the fat was taken out of, and my cheeks started to bloat. The best way to describe what I was feeling was "remarkably uncomfortable".

Day 4
If I thought day 3 was uncomforable, day four had reached "miserable". The iching in my body spread and continued to intensify. My eyes became even more puffy, bruised and watery. I could barely breathe or eat anything. I'm pretty sure that the night before I accidently bit down on my inscission from my chin implant and pulled some of the stitching out. But it wasn't until my gums started itching and I wanted to rip my face off from discomfort that I realized that I was having an allergic reaction to either my pain meds or my antibiotic. I called Dr. Motykie's office and a dr. was put on the phone right away. He informed me that I was most likely allergic to my antibiotic and instructed me to take allergy medication and discontinue the antibiotic. It took about an hour to get relief from the swelling and itching, but I was finally able to sleep.

Day 5
I am currently on day 5. I awoke this morning exhausted from last night's activities; however, I am relieved to see that some of the swelling has gone down and most of the itching has decipated. My nose is still quite stuffy and my eyes are bruised and puffy, but I can feel it gradually getting better now. From this point on I will update as needed (if anything changes). I have my second post op on friday 12/26 so I will definitely update this then. I cannot yet tell if I will be happy with the results as my face is still quite disfigured due to swelling, but I'm hoping that I will heal a lot faster now that I am no longer taking medication that I am allergic to. One can only hope! :]

The Process

So I thought I would post the process that I went through with Dr. Motykie to try and achieve my desired look. The first set of photos are the Photoshop renderings that he created to give me an idea of his vision. The next set of photos are the Photoshop renderings that I created so that he could better understand what I liked and did not like.

For those of you considering Rhinoplasty, here is a look at what you might look like when you come home from the operating table (sorry, pretty graphic!). Mind you that my eyes got a lot more swollen due to the allergic reaction from my antibiotic.

I am now 12 days post op. I got my splint removed last friday 12/26. The stitches in my mouth (from the buccal fat removal and chin implant) fully disolved yesterday, making eating MUCH more enjoyable! I can smile (awkwardly) with a lot less pain then the first ten days. My smile, however, is still very crooked as my skin adjusts to the chin implant and higher cheeks. My nasal congestion is starting to clear up making sleeping, smelling and tasting much better. I am glad that I can finally say that the pain is starting to go away. It was quite miserable there for a while and was a lot worse than my breast augmentation (done in July) ironically, since I was told that this operation would be a "breeze" compared to that. You don't realize how much rhinoplasty messes with your senses until you get it done. My sense of smell, taste, and eye sight were all affected and are barely starting to go back to normal now. I think that my sense of smell may be permanently altered.

I still have bruising and swelling under my eyes. I was told that this would all go away in about a week after surgery, but it's almost been 2 weeks and I see no sign of it disappearing any time soon. Perhaps it will be gone around the 3rd week. I really hope that most of it is gone before I go back to work next Monday....

Without further adue, here is my opinion on my results as of today:

Buccal Fat Removal: Totally worth it! I can definitely see definition in my cheeks that was not there before. I really love the contour of my cheek bones now.

Chin Implant: Still Deciding. When I look in the mirror I feel that I can see the difference and like it, but when I look at my before and after photos, I really cannot see a difference at all. I'm not sure whether or not it helps my profile and my jaw line and think that maybe if it were placed a bit lower, I would be able to see it more. I guess I will wait for all of the swelling to go down before I make a decision on this one.

Fat Transfer to the Under Eyes and Scars: Totally worth It! I used to have awful dented scars due to acne and the fat transfer lifted them right up. Now I can only tell that they are there because of the discoloration to my skin. I hope that this remains the case when the swelling goes down! I can also see a difference in the fat under my eyes. It looks much better than it did before, however, I hope that there isn't TOO much fat under there. I worry that it gives off an unnatural look.

Rhinoplasty: Undecided. Although I think my new nose is cute and nicely sculpted, I worry that it is too small and flat for my face. It looks better than the bump did, for sure, but I would have liked just a little more projection and tip to tie in all of my features nicely. I also worry that since it is already so small, that it will look WAY too tiny when the swelling goes down, especially in conjunction with my new high cheek bones. Only time will tell.

Update (2 and a half weeks post op)

Hi there,

I thought I would drop in and update you all on my healing. I am 2 and half weeks post op and as of now the bruising under my left eye has completely vanished, however, I still have a small amount of bruising under my right eye and on my thigh (where the fat was taken from). My swelling comes and goes but for the most part it has gone down significantly.

My nose is looking great and I'm becoming very happy with it!

My buccal fat removal is also looking great! I love the definition in my cheeks now.

My chin implant....well, I don't really see a difference. I'm a bit dissapointed because I still think my chin looks to weak and that my jaw line was not improved much.

My fat grafting still looks good but as the swelling goes down I fear that there will not be enough fat left over.

Here are some updated side view pictures that were taken today and yesterday.

3 Months Post Op

Hey everyone! It's been a while since I updated with some photos. I wanted to wait to update because while I was swollen I kept going back and forth about whether I looked better or not. Well, over 3 months post op I can happily say that I look better! Here is my evaluation of my operation today:

1. Nose - I would give it a 4.5 out of 5. It looks significantly better, however, it is still crooked and leans a bit to the left. This isn't a huge deal but the Doctor did say that he would straighten it out.

2. Buccal Fat Removal - 5 out of 5. My buccal fat removal looks great and did wonders for my over all appearance. No complaints here!

3. Chin Implant - 3 out of 5. I just don't think it helped my jaw line the way I was hoping it would. I still think it could have a bit more projection and have the sides filed down to make my chin look sleeker. In some pictures, I don't even notice the implant at all. On the plus side, it's not affecting my smile nearly as much as it was last month. Last month my smile looked totally pained, but I think my skin is finally starting to stretch out a bit.

4. Fat transfer - 4 out of 5. Although it really helps to give my face a better shape, I'm only giving it a 4 because one cheek is still lower in volume than the other and my old acne scars are still very visible. Granted the doctor said he would "Try" to fill in the scars, so I can't hold him too accountable for that. Plus he really doesn't determine how my face is going to hold onto fat. But I still think some areas could do with a bit more.

All and all I say this was totally worth it! What do you think?

Just Because

And just for fun...here are a couple more pictures from today 4/9/15.
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Mokykie takes his time with his patients. He makes sure that he answers all of your questions thoroughly and gives you a realistic idea of what to expect. He is honest and lets you know what can and cannot be done to keep you looking natural. Dr. Motykie does come across as having a dry sense of humor, which I actually really like, but I can see why other people might be turned off by his demeanor. He tends to seem almost a little bored when answering your questions, but it's likely because he has heard all of these questions 1,000 times. I felt that Mokykie and I were very much aligned in our idea of beauty and realistic plastic surgery. My only complaint is that I had to wait hours passed my appointment times to see him for both my consultation and surgery (although I would rather he take his time and be thorough, than to just rush through everything). His staff was also very friendly and helpful.