38 Year Old Mom of 3 Little Girls Just Scheduled Rhinoplasty for May!

Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 108 reviews
Sort by:
*Treatment results may vary

Hi everyone! I just had my initial consultation...

Hi everyone! I just had my initial consultation with Dr. Pontell in Wayne, PA yesterday and decided to go ahead schedule the surgery for May 2nd. I'm nervous and excited but I truly hope this is all worth it. I just keep thinking as I'm watching TV, that everyone from the Real Housewives and Kardashians to the movie stars have gotten this procedure done, so I try not to be too afraid. Dr. Pontell is very nice and professional and had a lot of confidence telling me what I needed done. My cartilage has indentations that make it look very bulbous from certain angles. I asked him why I feel it looks bulbous so much more so now, and he explained that as we age our skin thins even on the nose, making it look more bulbous if the cartilage isn't right. He said he wouldn't have to break any bones so that made me feel better. As a mother of 3 little girls, my youngest being almost one, I'm a nervous wreck but I need to do this for myself. I'm very self conscious of my pictures and very critical of my nose. I don't want to keep ducking and dodging pictures the rest of my life. If it can be fixed and improved, I want it! I'd love to be able to talk to others going through this, so please message me or comment!

Emails

I've emailed Dr. Pontell a few times with questions I forgot to ask at the consultation, as well as some questions before the consult, and he is quick to respond. I'm very impressed and comforted in knowing that as busy as he is, he still makes time to correspond with his patients.

Need a buddy!!!

This process is very emotional! I'm borderline obsessing over it, but I guess that's normal. I see a lot of bad reviews and horror stories. I don't seek them out and but I also want to be informed. My doctor seems to have great reviews but I'd LOVE to be able to speak to someone who has had surgery with him or is going to have surgery...or anyone else out there with an upcoming surgery. I feel alone in this process and I'd love a buddy to talk to, so please comment or message me if you want to chat about

Adding Pics

So in these pics you'll see my bulbous tip. I'll post some of me smiling but don't have one that I don't think looks awful. When I smile, my nose spreads and it looks like a round ball with nostrils.

Getting close

Yesterday I got my blood drawn for surgery. I'm not too squeamish anymore due to the fact that I've had 3 kids and countless needles, 3 epidurals and several IV's. I called to pay my surgery fee and requested to be the first surgery that morning and the very nice lady said she will put that on my file in the schedule. I don't think I can wait around for surgery but most importantly, I want to be home for when my two girls get home from school. She said the first surgery is at 7AM so I'd have to be there at 6, and I'm fine with that! I'm feeling better about everything and I'm hoping I stay this positive. I'm sure I'll be very anxious in the days leading up to it, but I want to send positive vibes out into the universe. I'm not telling anyone else because I'm not really happy with the reactions so far. Other than my mom and husband, everyone thinks I'm nuts. I'm also seeing these people on here who had a bad experience telling other people not to to do it and I think that's wrong. I get you had a bad experience but you don't have to be all "dooms day" either. I know the rest of this month is going to fly by and then all of my obsessing will be a thing of the past. I read a quote the other day that said, "a year from now, everything you're stressed about today won't even matter." And it's so true.

This pic says it all.

This pic was taken the other night and although it's a nice pic of myself, the first thing I focus on is my nose. I don't like the way it looks at all. This is why I'm doing this. I'm happy with everything except my nose and I just don't want to focus on how bad it looks and take away the positives of the pictures I take.

Next week's the big day!

Wow...surgery is on Tuesday already! Hopefully it's at 7 am! I guess they tell you the day before what time you are scheduled. I really just want it to be done now. I've stressed myself so much I got the shingles virus on Easter Sunday. That wasn't great but not as bad as a lot of other people's experience with it, as it can be downright horrible. I'm currently weaning my 13 month old off of breast milk, and I'm hoping and praying I don't get mastitis. I got that 6 times after having her and I just want to go into surgery healthy!!! I think I'm going to be fine, though. Obviously I can't nurse her with heavy pain killers in my system, but I'm also done with it as well. I know the rest of the week and weekend will fly by and I'm just going to try to relax and enjoy the time and beautiful weather we are supposed to have, with my family. If anyone wants to chat in the meantime send me a message!

Wednesday surgery

So, my surgery was changed to Wednesday and I have to call tomorrow between 1 and 3 to find out the time. Again, hoping for the earliest slot! I'm actually feeling ok about everything. I'd envisioned these few days leading up to it as me being a nervous wreck, but I'm calm. I'm going to just hope and pray for the best possible outcome and put the positive vibes out into the universe.

Surgery tomorrow morning!

I just got a call that my arrival is 6:30am!!! I'm happy about that. I keep telling myself to work out because I won't be able to for a little while, but I'm using my nervous energy to clean right now. My family is calling and wishing me luck and saying they never thought anything was ever wrong with my nose, however we are our own worst critics. I set my alarm for 4:45am to be up and get my shower. I'm debating whether to kiss my little girls before I leave but I don't want to wake them and upset them. Ugh... that's the worst part...the leaving your sleeping children in the early morning. I'm just so relieved it's tomorrow and I can finally get it over with.

Morning of..

It's 4:52 here but I've been up since around 4 because I was afraid my alarm wouldn't go off. My allergies are awful this morning. My nose is so itchy and I can't breathe through it anyway. I'm tired but I slept ok. Now time to shower and get this going.

I'm home and all went well!

I'll see how much I can get done with this post. So I got to the surgery center and everything went super quickly after I waited for about a half hour in waiting room. I did a pee test, got in my gown and got into the bed. The nurses were super sweet and the one tried several times to get my IV in and I got lightheaded from that. She felt so bad. But this other nurse anesthesiologist who was extremely sweet, came in and got it in a second. Dr. Pontell came in and we talked for a second and he said see you in there. Forgot to say, the anesthesiologist had already come in and was asking me questions and telling me the low down while the first nurse was trying to get my IV in. The N A (nurse anesthesiologist) told me she was going to give me cocktails and wheel me in the OR. The next thing I knew she gently put a mask over my moth and nose and I was out!!! I woke up in recovery having a dream I had to dress my girls for school. My mom was there and she said It was 10:30. They encouraged me to try to get up right away...and even though I felt a bit woozie, I did it and put my clothes on. No pain in nose and I can breathe through it so well. My teeth and roof of mouth are very sore and the pain pills didn't really work that well. I'm dozing off and on. My girls come home in about 45 mins so I'm excited to see them. The baby is napping and she hasn't looked horrified yet looking at me. I wanted to update because I know how much I wanted info about surgery day. I'll try and answer questions as I'm laying here at some point. I will say, it wasn't as anxiety inducing as I thought it would be. I was pretty darn calm the whole morning. Other than the light headedness with the IV...no issues. Good luck to you all. I'll post pics soon.

First evening of surgery

First morning after surgery

Hello. I changed my review to "worth it" because Dr. Pontell has done a great job. He called me yesterday evening to check up and told me do not hesitate to call him. I don't know what my nose looks like yet obviously, but my experience with Dr. P, his staff and the surgical center has been great. I go in tomorrow afternoon for a check up and hopefully he'll clean up all this blood and gunk.

Day 3

I woke up this morning and the pain in my teeth and roof of mouth isn't that bad, so I just took 2 extra strength Tylenol. My nose is running more though, so that's annoying! I'm trying to keep the ointment on my stitches and it's hard when I keep gently wiping my nose. I asked my sis in law to come over and we'll try to wash my hair somehow over the tub with the detachable shower nozzle. It's kind of weird to think that I have a new nose under these bandages. I went to Dr. Pontell's office yesterday and he cleaned out my nostrils and showed me how to apply the ointment. It was very quick and stung just a bit. I go back on Wednesday to get the splint off. Overall, I'm feeling better today.

Day 4

Today there's still discomfort that I've been taking only extra strength Tylenol for. The only thing about acetaminophen is it doesn't last very long! I don't like taking pills so I'm trying to be cautious about it. I definitely have more energy but I'm trying to sit as much as possible which is hard with kids. I just need to chill and stay positive!

Splint off!!!

Hi everyone! So, I got my splint off this afternoon...and it looks great! I can tell it's going to be almost perfect when all of the swelling subsides. And the best part, I still look like me but improved. Dr. Pontell did a great job! I would recommend him to anyone! He did exactly what I asked for.

Adding computer pics

These pics Dr. Pontell took at the consultation highlight my before problems with my nose a lot more than the other pictures I posted. Note the quality looks bad because I took a pic of his computer screen.

So happy I did this.

This is a very emotional process. There's the fear of surgery, fear that you won't like your new nose, fear of pain, fear that people won't like your new nose...etc. But I'm so happy I did this for myself. As a busy mom of three small children, I rarely do anything for myself. Now I can look in the mirror and be happy with my nose. It's still a little swollen but it's only going to improve and I already love it. I think you have to be in the right frame of mind for this surgery. I'm no psychologist, but I think a lot of people on here suffer from Body Dysmorphic Disorder. It seems like nothing makes them happy. My advice would be to choose a talented, accredited doctor like Dr. Pontell. Don't choose according to price!!!

11 days post op

Update

Today is four weeks out and I love my nose! It's still a bit swollen in the tip, but I love it. I'm adding some pics. Don't mind the dark circles under my eyes...I'm a mom of 3! ;)

First pic of a night out

Still a bit swollen but I love it!
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Pontell is very professional but friendly as well. He seemed very confident telling me what the procedure entailed.