Accutane Journey!

I did Accutane in high school, didn't have bad...

I did Accutane in high school, didn't have bad acne. I did it because I didn't want to ever have to deal with it! When I was 19-20, I had a HORRIBLE reaction to a contraceptive pill and broke out with painful cystic acne. My breakouts have gotten a lot better. I was prescribed Doxycycline, then switched to Augmenton, and I was doing chemical peels. I purchased a SkinPen treatment on a special, then later decided I wanted my breakouts to cease entirely before I did the treatment, then have to do them over and over as I continued to break out and scar. So, here we go!

Previous flares and scarring photos

April 20th 2016

These are photos from the past (post Accutane in 2009, and pre Accutane 2016- most photos taken months before 2016 Accutane), as I had flare ups, and good days.

Previous flare ups and scarring

April 25th 2016- post chem peel

May 16th, 2016 - healed after chemical peel

May 16th. Healing after previous chemical peel before April 25th

Post chemical peel May 25th

Scarring is even better

Another flare up - June 2nd 2016

Last flare up June 22 before starting Accutane

July 14th-Almost 2 week update

I have had a total of 5 breakouts, 2 that showed up just this evening. The discoloration looks better, but my scarring seems to be looki a lot deeper... I wonder if it's because of my excessive use of moisturizer (I'm preparing for the flakey-ness I experienced before), creating a more oily surface? Or is it the meds? Or in my head... Ugh. Anyway, my lips get significantly more chapped day by day. Yesterday was significantly worse, I woke up with bloody lips. :( Of course my allergies probably aren't helping! So far I am still using a light moisturizer in the morning (Elta MD AM Treatment), Cetaphil at night, and a gentile Cetaphil cleanser. And of course, lots of lip balm! Currently: Aquaphor, EOS eggs (?), Dr. Dans (BUY IT!!), Vasaline Lip Care.... But pretty much anything I have in my reach. I've had to put my lipstick and lipgloss away for now, which is sad. But- it'll be worth it!

July 18th Update

Changes since my last update:
My nose has started to get very dry and painful on the sides
My nostrils have started getting dry, to the point I have started putting Vasaline on.
I have started having some gnarly rib cage pain.
My eyes are EXTREMELY dry and red. May be a combo of allergies as well.

Update

Haven't had many breakouts, and the symptoms aren't unbearable... so ready to be done though! I'm on 60 mg now.

A little over 4 months in!

No breakouts, just normal symptoms. But not nearly as severe as the first go round in high school. Dryness, eczema breakouts, etc. My scarring as significantly improved as well!

11/7/16