One Week Away - Syracuse, NY

Sort by:
*Treatment results may vary

Hi everyone! I am one week away from surgery and...

Hi everyone! I am one week away from surgery and finally decided to join and share my experience as well! I have been constantly reassuring myself from reading other posts, and thought I needed to pay it back to the community. My surgery is July 15th and I am going through a roller coaster of emotions. One minute I am so nervous and envision the pain, blood, O.R., and the fear of Anesthesia, then I look in the mirror or at a picture of my nose and cannot wait to get it done! Anyway, I will post some pictures later!!!! XOXO

The nose that has to go

So here are finally some photos. I really need to take some side views tomorrow to show the whole picture. Ever since I was younger I have always complained about my nose and begged my parents for a nose job. To this day my mom is still telling me I am beautiful the way I am and I don't need to change my nose (EWWW!). I do not mind my nose from the front, I have an okay tip I think, and my nose is pretty slim from the front. When I turn to the side however, I have a large dorsal hump, so much so that it pulls my upper lip into my nose. I feel like I have to consciously close my mouth or put my lips together in order to pull my upper lip down. I have always been told I am a very pretty girl, but I am extremely self conscious about my protruding nose. I literally feel like it was over grown in a farm and stuck in the middle of my face because it is so damn awkward, haha! Anyway, I bought some supplies today for my's all becoming so real!

-Medial Tape
-Throat Lozenges
-Neck Pillow
-Tylenol (big bottle!)
-Arnica Tablets (which I started to take Monday or one week ahead of time)
-Arnica Gel

I really hope the Arnica helps with swelling or bruising ahead of time!! See my boyfriend falls asleep much earlier then I every night so in bed I have been sort of obsessed with looking at pictures and reading stories on this site of post surgery experiences. Anytime I pull up a picture of someone with extreme bruising or swelling my boyfriend literally freaks out and tells me to get that off the screen!! Great, he is going to be a great support system...NOT!

Fear of the unknown

Today I had a long conversation over the phone with my grandmother. I cannot help but keep thinking about all of the bad things that can happen with this procedure!!! I don't know why I am getting like this! I am so scared that I am never going to wake up from Anesthesia, like what the heck! Or that when they go to break the bones on the nose something is going to go terribly wrong and my nose is going to collapse?? What is my problem!!! I feel like I am driving myself crazy. I need to put more trust in the fact that this isn't major heart surgery and so many people have gone through this with no complications at all. Is this normal to be feeling this way?

More Pictures

Okay sorry for the awful pics, it was post workout this morning and I took them on my own! So here are the dreadful profile pictures..AHHH!

So about my doctor. First off, Dr.DeRoberts is a close friend of my two year long boyfriend, which gave me some serious reassurance. I thought, he wouldn't tell me he would give me a great new nose and let me walk away with less after knowing my boyfriend ;-). Also, before my consultation all I had heard was great things about him, and how much of a perfectionist and considerate Dr. he is. I was very nervous before my consultation because I had only known or heard of patients of his who had breast augmentations or tummy tucks. Upon walking into my consultation it was like god had answered all my doubts, the receptionist started showing me pictures of her recovery from rhinoplasty three months prior!! Right before my eyes I could see his work and feel her excitement radiate about how great of a job he did for her. It was such a reassurance and exactly what I needed to get excited about this new endeavor.

When I met with him he asked me the obvious questions, what don't I like about my nose and what would I change if I could. I told him from the front I have no problem with my nose really, and I have looked at it for 26 years so I am quite used to my face, but when I turn to the side..WOWSERS! hahaha. I obviously want to get rid of my big dorsal hump which makes my nose look extremely large. I have very small features, small ears, smaller eyes, and small lips. I also told him how I did not like how my upper lip comes up almost because my nose is so large it pulls it up. He said no problem, we can take a little off of the bottom part of your nose which will allow your upper lip to rest more naturally. He told me my tip was very refined which is good so he does not have to do any tip work so basically he will bring down the hump, bring up a little part on the bottom, and then because he will be shaving so much off of the hump he has to break the nose to put it back into a pyramid shape because if not the nose would appear flat from the front. What I also liked about him is he is doing a close rhinoplasty on me, which means so visible scars and it sounds like easier healing! I have also read that 20-30 years down the road some patients with open rhinoplasty have tip drooping from lifting and detaching the skin on the nose. He reassured me many times this is a straight forward procedure and we will be able to achieve great results.

Post Surgery, Splint removal tomorrow!

In a nutshell this is how my surgery went which was an overall good experience thus far.

Day of Surgery-
I tell the anesthesiologist my concerns about going under, he was extremely nice. This was the first time I had met him since a team works with my doctor and they never know which one they are going to get on the day of surgery. He said no problem, its only a nose job we can just sedate you! Woke up and could not even open my eyes the pain was so bad. I had an ice pack on my eyes and I was talking to everyone, just couldn't get myself to open my eyes. When I finally did WOW I had a headache and my forehead was killing me (they had to break my nose). I kept saying, all those people online who said this was a piece of cake was lying, haha (it really wasn't that bad but it definitely hurts)! I was already bruised and swollen before I left the hospital. I was in recovery for maybe thirty minutes? I took pain pills throughout the day night, slept an hour max at a time, and kept little bags on frozen vegetables rotating from the freezer to my face all day/night. I ate: Frozen go-gurt, baked sweet potatoes, and mashed potatoes. I drank: water, and turmeric(reduces swelling) juice (zingi-well).

Day Two- Laid around all day. Frozen vegetables on face all day. walked around a bit and ate some more gogurt and yogurt. For dinner I had pasta, which I housed because I was so unbelievably hungry. Woke up in the middle of the night with the worst gastro intestinal pains which I attributed to the pain meds. I was dry heaving for hours over the toilet and could not sit still to deal with the stomach pain. I stopped the pain meds after this and switched to tylenol only. Also discovered popped blood vessels in both of my eyes. Called the Dr. who said it is normal from the trauma of the procedure.

Day Three- Worst day ever. Worst bruising, swelling, and aching. Tylenol only. My lower cheeks were swollen and any chewing or talking made them swell even worse. Still stuck to easy foods to eat. Tried to wash dishes after dinner and almost fainted. No energy. I wonder if all the swelling throws off your equilibrium because doing something as easy as walking across the kitchen with a bowl in your hand seems like a task a wipes you out. Cant stand for long periods of time have to sit down. (keep in mind I usually work out 4-5 times a week with a trainer).

Day Four-
Getting better and feeling better. Begged my boyfriends mom to let me come with her on errands. It was 90 degrees out and just from walking out of Target and into the car my face swelled up immediately (good thing I brought frozen veggies with me in the car :-) ). Little things take a large toll on the body still. Was very frustrated because pain and swelling was diminishing but energy was not coming back. Went to CopperTop for dinner and got alot of looks...oh well was nice to get out of the house. Put my ice tea glass on my cheeks most of my dinner.

Day Five- Finally went to my apartment to change out some of my clothes (stayed at my boyfriends parents house, his mother took care of me hand and foot :-) ). Went to camp that afternoon. Swelling was basically gone. Finally put on some eye/face make-up to look more like myself. Was NOT used to having a huge thing on my nose and got mascara on some of my bandaid, oh well! Thankfully they hooked me up with a sick cheetah splint!

Day Six- Cloudy day. Went into town from camp and did some errands. Drank a coffee which kind of annoyed my nose, maybe the caffeine? Still applied arnica gel to the bruising but really no swelling and little bruising left. Eating pretty normal, bit into pizza which was nice (to my belly not to my scale)!

Day Seven- got ambitious. Laid in the sun. Went Boating----BAD idea! The wind was annoying my splint which was in turn making my nose ache. My face was sweating in the sun and my splint was literally coming off, and all the bumps gave me a major headache for the rest of the night. Still applying the arnica gel and taking arnica tablets for the bruising. The popped blood vessels are looking better.

Day eight- just chilling. Waiting for my mom to bring me to the grocery store since I am finally home in my apartment again but cannot lift over 10LBS still. Bored. Did some laundry, put away all of my clothes from camp. CANT WAIT TO SEE MY NOSE TOMORROW!!!!!

Everyone has been telling me online and in person how great my bruising is, and I try and attribute it to: good doctor, and Arnica. I started taking Arnica pills, quantity 5 of 30C pellets once a day a week before, twice a day two days before surgery, and three times a day since surgery and am still taking them. I started out applying Arnica gel on my bruising under my eyes, which crusted up after two days of re-applying and was hard to wash off, so I switched to Arnica massage oil and have been applying that ever since. Well, heres some photos too!
Syracuse Plastic Surgeon

Was this review helpful? {{ voteCountOthers + ' other' + (voteCountOthers == 1 ? '' : 's') }} found this helpful