Thank you all for giving me the courage to write. I've enjoyed reading about everyone's successes--marveling at some truly impressive makeovers--and learning from people's disappointments. I am nearing 40, 5'5", waver between 115-118 pounds (these days anyway), and have what I like to call an aristocratic upper body and a field peasant's lower body. (Smile) I have always had robust, athletic legs, big calves, and a hefty butt. I have a naturally small waist. I exercise moderately (treadmill running and cardio trainers) but also sit a lot at work. I have no children.
My surgery is about seven weeks away and is scheduled with Dr Fernandez-Goico in Dominican Republic, thanks entirely to other RS members who have written such positive reviews. As has been repeatedly stated, Dr FG and his assistant Karel are gracious, patient, quick to respond, and most importantly, display extremely high integrity.
I queried Dr FG on multiple topics including liposuction, BBL, a surgical butt lift, and a "donut" breast lift without implants. His level of direct honesty even at the expense of losing a potential patient impressed me very much. For instance, he said there is "no way" I needed a surgical butt lift and he absolutely would not put those kinds of scars on my body for what mild correction I needed. (I was thinking more along the lines of Dr Mendieta's "butterfly lift," which pulls up sagging buttock tissue.) He was also very honest in saying if I expected a true BBL, he'd simply be stealing my money because I do not have enough fat to give my rear pronounced results (he recommended small implants instead). And with respect to a breast lift, he initially recommended implants, but once he could see I was not interested in them, he made the suggestion of a lollipop lift rather than a donut lift in order to achieve a fullness that the donut simply can't produce (without implants).
Let me tell you, Friends, sometimes you want a doctor who tells you what you do not want to hear, because only he/she really understands what procedures are likely to give you the most reasonable results to match your expectations. He could have just said Yes, Yes, Yes, taken the money, and a year later I'm writing on this site asking why my nipples are pleated and my butt lost its fat? But no. Dr FG was forthright and realistic and THAT is a doc into whose hands I'll put my body.
He is also very, very busy. I tried not to hen-peck him too much with questions and was willing to wait patiently for answers. For those interested in a consultation, I'd suggest making a very well-organized, numbered list of clear questions and he will respond within the email/text beneath each one.
Ultimately what we decided was the following (keeping in mind that Dr FG will not actually see my body in person until my pre-op appt):
1) Multiple areas of liposuction which will mainly involve inner thighs, upper hips/flanks, hopefully inner knees (as I have this annoying chunk of fat above each knee), and hopefully upper arms (if he feels it would be rewarding). A questionable zone I'd like to have touched up but have read of mixed consequences is the "banana roll." I definitely have this issue, but with a low slung buttocks, I'm concerned the butt will droop even more if this area is tampered with much.
2) Fat transfer to the outer, somewhat deflated butt cheeks to round them out a bit more, and hopefully transfer to my right breast, which is smaller than my left.
3) A lollipop mastopexy (lift). In my case, this lift will not be very dramatic. I'm relatively small breasted (small B in the right, large B on the left) but have noticed in recent years that the tissue has become slack, as age and gravity will do. The point of this surgery, for me, is to give me perky, youthful breasts that hopefully can take me into my old age. :-) I am not interested in size; I'm interested in symmetry, balance, and perkiness. However, due to size discrepancies between the breasts, I'll likely need a bit of fat in the right to even them out. Currently bras are frustrating because the outer aspect of the left breast was to ooze and bleb out of the cup. Bah!
Arguably, my overall bod as it is is really not that bad for nearly-40. My goal is more along the lines of re shaping/re contouring with reduction of that stubborn inner thigh pudge (I call it my thigh pudding...eeew!), perky boobies, and using what fat I have to plump up here and there.
What I ultimately decided NOT to do:
1) Butt implants (I wanted them but the recovery time and the inability to sit for quite a long while were major impediments),
2) Breast implants (I have never wanted them...that's just me...I admire everyone else's but I'm worried about several issues: capsular contracture, unnatural appearance, eventual sagging (which I'm *already* wanting corrected), and eventual replacement (what, I have to pay to do it again?).
I've started collecting a couple of maxi dresses for comfort (BHFO on eBay has very reasonably priced ones), a couple maxi skirts, soft stretchy, wire- and closure-free bras, and a single pair of spanx capris (once I can take the compression garment off). Dr FG recommends "granny panties" as well but since I know that the compression garment is worn against the skin, the panty would go on the outside of the garment, and thus I figured my own undies would suffice. I'll only be traveling with a carry-on, so I plan on buying absorbent gauze/pads, bandage tape, etc in DR.
I am SO looking forward to lying (on my sides???) on a sun lounger and at least getting a bit of tan on my shoulders, arms, and lower legs. I'm a great walker, too, so it will be a wonderful week in Santo Domingo!