From Elated to Devastated - to hopeful again!

Sort by:
*Treatment results may vary

I wanted to look younger to fit with how I feel...

I wanted to look younger to fit with how I feel and otherwise look, as I still have a nice figure. Thought I would get LSL's info and then go home and think about it. After learning I could save several thousand but only that day, signed on to the lift and a brow lift. $7000.

Appt. was for 11 AM the next day but by the time I got home received a call telling me to be there at 6AM. Not convenient as I lived 2hrs. away. But I showed, and they said no makeup so I complied other than some lipstick to brighten my face a bit. They made me remove it for the ghastly pictures they take of you prior to surgery. Horrible lighting, backround and a high powered expensive camera. I was told to take a 10mg valium prior to arrival and was given another one while there. I could not feel them at all. Asked for whisky after first round of shots-lost count.

Doctor left the room while I laid there shaking and with teeth chattering. Came back and gave more shots and began the cutting. I heard him cut what sounded like thick layer of skin, but only once. Judging by how I look, I don't think anymore was cut off. I have scars for a brow lift, but no evidence one ever happened. Eyes still droop at corners. Looked pretty good the first month- went on a trip I'd planned a week later- added a fall to my already long hair to help hide the stitches.

Got looked at by 30something and youger men! Then as the months passed- it is now month5 it all went away, the small jowls and lines near my mouth returned. The fine lines that had been smoothed away returned. I did not go for the one month pics they I see why they want to see you then...but complained in writing to my Dr. who saw me a few weeks ago. They again took pics, I had on full make up, my hair was done (was not in first pics) and they used soft lighting and a cheap hand held camera instead of the fancy tripod model they used at first.

The doc tried to get me to "see how far I'd come" by comparing these incomparable pictures as I pulled up my brows and cheeks and complained of jowls, lines and brow that sat on my eyelids. At one point I asked Which picture is that? It was a profile taken that day and the only way I could tell was by the earrings I was wearing....this went on for 20 min. He said he did not know what corporate would say but then reluctantly agreed to a revision in one month. As I was leaving, I coughed a little and he said rudely" Oh yeah you don't smoke, don't start. So what,if I smoked the whole mess would get blamed on that ?

So last week I found this jewel of a doctor on real self, Dr. Remus Repta who saw me for free and told me what likely went wrong, looked at the pics they asked me to bring, was kind' caring, I must say I was quite impressed...and he is VERY handsome! His assitant borught me their pricing and offered to answer any more questions , no pressure, no used car atmosphere like LSL. The surgeons' fee was less than LSL only the hospital made it more expensive. Ladies, my advice is stay away from LSL, there are too many stories like mine out there. I've yet to decide whether to go back for the revision and would like to hear from those who have.

I keep remembering other little tidbits so thought...

I keep remembering other little tidbits so thought I'd add them to my review. During the surgery I felt a strong pulling on my left cheek and asked the Doc: " What are using, a winch?" He then asked me what a winch was and I said,"You know like on a tow truck" At the time I thought I was being pulled nice and tight, now I feel my skin was stretched beyond belief adding to the sagging I have now. Also during the post-op interview/complaint I was told "to let it settle" Excuse me? Let it settle? Like grout on saltillo floor?.

Today I received a call from my Dr. who performed...

Today I received a call from my Dr. who performed the surgery. He was concerned about my postings here and wants to meet with me posibly April 30 for a talk and revsion. Perhaps we were not clear about my expectations the first time and he wants to be sure he understands exactly what I expect. We disagreed on the cameras used for the before and after...He was very accomadative as to my living 2hrs away and would schedule the talk and revision for same day. I did not get the impression he was angry but does wish to preserve his rep as a surgeon. I was glad to hear that. The way people talk here I get the impression their doctors don't care, don't know what they are doing or both and I suppose I began to think of my Dr. the same way. H e spent a great deal of time talking to me and was courteous, stressed he wanted me to be happy and I am feeling better about seeing him again.

I wish I had waited until this story was finished...

I wish I had waited until this story was finished to write about it because as it turns out, most of this has been written while in the "anger phase" of my experience. The emotional impact of going from56 to 35 and back again to 56 is profound. It has been a 6month roller coaster of elation, joy, feeling I had a new lease on life to denial; and trying to 'talk up" the situation in my mind, convince myself the lines and sagging weren't there. When I could no longer deny the reality, I became angry, feeling mislead, lied to, played. I felt embarrassed, foolish. I was also angry with myself for not doing my homework. Now it seems I've moved on to a new, quieter phase; gloomy, depressed, in tears, hopeless. The last phone call from my doctor has given me some renewed hope as he genuinely seems anxious to correct the complaints that I have. He has remained upbeat, warm and kind throughout this ordeal and I AM confident in his skills as a surgeon. He has many years experience and has even performed surgeries for free in Haiti after the devastation there. This tells me its not all about money with him, that he really does care for people. I had practically no bruising, and I bruise easily! This, I believe speaks to the gentleness and expertise with which I was handled. The sutures were neat and tiny, the cuts paper thin. I was out 4 days later buying a B-day gift for my granddaughter,and 10 days later on the trip we had planned for the occasion. So I am not left questioning my doctor's skills as so many others have. Hopefully I'll be writing a happy ending to this saga soon and posting a new picture of me at 35. I really could have passed for 35 after the surgery!! My thanks to all who have written to comment, give advice, or share their stories. I have met many lovely people here.

Today I received a call from my doctor's office to...

Today I received a call from my doctor's office to let me know the pre-op meds were being called in and to confirm the date and time for the revision. Other ladies I had noted, complained of being "put off" for these revisions, to the point where they finally gave up on it. So I was fearful of receiving the same treatment. This sounds like it is written in stone now! They are also allowing half an hour for the talk with the doctor before the procedure. Now I will have to psyche myself up again to get through all of the unpleasantries- picturing all of the ugly gone, recalling the exhilarating feeling of losing 20 years, being able to look in the mirror and liking what looks back.I will once again be able to stop pushing up the skin on my forehead and cheeks when I'm sitting relaxing. My husband hates that!! Also, I had purposely gained about 10 pounds so my face would appear fuller, but I don't feel good 10lbs. heavier! So that can go, too. Would be good to hear from anyone who has had their expectations realized after their revision. My appt. is one week from today (April30)

I want to add a couple of bites about some things...

I want to add a couple of bites about some things that happened to me that I never expected or dreamed of that first month while I was still looking great...My husband, grandson (13) and I were at a restaurant and the waitress overheard my grandson call me grandma. She looked utterly amazed and exclaimed "Grandma?! I thought you were Mom and Dad!!" In Jerome, as we were walking down the hill from the Grand Hotel I noticed young men, probably early 30's, looking at me approvingly. I had to laugh to myself as I thought "If only they knew they were eyeing a 56 yr. old grandma!" The ladies at the bank in the small town where I live know me well and actually did not recognize me when I came in and said as much. Luckily I was wearing a long fall to help hide the stitches and was able to say to them, "Yes, it's amazing what a little extra hair can do!" My mail lady would just stare at me when I was in the post office, as if trying to figure what was going on, she had a "knowing" expression on her face but was too polite to say anything. The check-out ladies at the dollar store looked puzzled, like they knew it was me but weren't sure, looking at my purse which they did recognize for a clue (I always carry the same distinctive purse) I walked by people who knew me casually who suddenly acted as though they did not know me!! This is life-changing stuff people!! My husband would sit and stare in amazement at me, saying I looked 18 again! He went from being a bit put out over the money he spent to saying that for the price of a used car he got a new wife. At one point he had tears in his eyes for joy over how happy I was. He began telling perfect strangers at the auto parts store that if they were married to a pretty girl they had better start saving for a facelift, because the girls won't let their looks go without a fight.

Went for the revision yesterday and Dr. Desvigne...

Went for the revision yesterday and Dr. Desvigne was his usual warm, cheerful self. We discussed my expectations and I had the sense he saw the same things that I did that needed correcting. He even re-did the entire procedure as he was not quite happy with my neck. I was not expecting that, only expecting a bare minimum of work. But he is a thorough and a bit of a perfectionist type of doctor it seems and did not attempt to "cut any corners".Told me I was doing well during the procedure when I thought I was not!! Told me some jokes and even tried to find a jazz station on the radio for me. His assistant made me feel very comfortable in her presence. Later that evening he took the time to call and ask how I was doing, that was very nice and re-assuring. Between the pain meds and the ice everything is bearable- the pain seems a bit worse this go-around. He was kind enough to give me percocet which is a more effective pain reliever than the standard vicodin that is prescribed. On the phone he re-assured me he thought the procedure had gone well and that I would be happy with the results. So I am hopeful and hoping to post that pic of me looking 35 again soon!!

Current pics as of 3/24/13

30 days now, still looking good...

Have posted 22 days pics and still holding up, trying to not get my hopes up that I will still look this nice after 2 mos! What a drag...think I'll wear that chin wrap every night forever, maybe that is the key. And use the inversion table everyday, too. Getting old is a drag but looking old is worse! Good luck ladies!

Two months, three weeks along...

Hello ladies, thought it was time to post an update as I am now almost 3 mos. post-op.While I still look better than I did before having any work I must admit I do not look as nice as I did the first month after revision. My jawline is not as clean and sharp and there are two slight bulges under my chin, on either side of the incision, one is more pronounced than the other. And I am still wearing the chin support wrap for hours and hours each night trying to prevent that! So now I am left wondering how far the failings will go....not a pleasant thought. Am wondering why it took longer to show signs of failure than the first surgery. The revision seemed to me to have been different. There was no cauterizing the first time and no bloody mess anywhere on me, either. During the revision I smelled the unmistakeable stench of burning flesh although the doctor told me he had done the same the first time around also....there was blood on the covering they had placed on my chest and the hair at the back of my neck was saturated. I chalked this up to perhaps he had gone deeper, addressing the SMAS layer that I was concerned had not been done the first time. So, this seemed to me a good thing and evidence of more detailed work. At this point I cannot say I am unhappy as I still look better than before anything was done, but I am seeing signs of it "coming undone" which is unsettling to say the least. Will try to get some pics up for you soon-
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon

TV-the Phoenix office

5 out of 5 stars Overall rating
5 out of 5 stars Doctor's bedside manner
5 out of 5 stars Answered my questions
5 out of 5 stars After care follow-up
5 out of 5 stars Time spent with me
5 out of 5 stars Phone or email responsiveness
5 out of 5 stars Staff professionalism & courtesy
5 out of 5 stars Payment process
5 out of 5 stars Wait times
Was this review helpful? {{ voteCountOthers + ' other' + (voteCountOthers == 1 ? '' : 's') }} found this helpful