48 Years Young, 1 Child - my Journey Back to Happiness. Oakville, ON

Sort by:
*Treatment results may vary

I am 48, one child, 5’4” and currently about 145...

I am 48, one child, 5’4” and currently about 145 pounds. Unlike many here, I developed late and was small breasted and quite thin for a long time. That was my happy place, I was feeling “free”, my femininity was not defined by the size of my breasts and never had a problem with being small. I was quite active and not really a girly-girl, my frame was perfectly fitting my personality and lifestyle.
Fast forward a decade later - had my child, packed on about 45 pounds, half of them which never left me afterwards. My breasts grew from a large B to a heavy DDD overnight. I am small to medium built with narrow hips, even at my heaviest I was wearing a size M bottom but at least an XL top. I started developing really bad back and neck pains, headaches, pinched nerve and groves in my shoulders, sweat rashes… I no longer wanted to go out and stopped doing much physical activity. When weight started to add up again, I decided if I want to be there for my family and take my life back, something has to be done. Changed my diet and over the course of a year lost about 40 pounds. While I started to feel better physically and became more active, breast size barely decreased from DDD to DD and they also become saggy.
I started looking into breast reductions more than a year ago. I am in Canada, I knew about OHIP approving BR surgeries if they are deemed medically necessary – not being an extreme case, I was not sure I would qualify. I decided I was not even going to pursue it and will pay out of pocket. I did a lot of research, the information I found on this site helped me tremendously - made appointments with several well-rated, highly regarded plastic surgeons in the area. The lowest point was when one of them literally greeted me with ‘I don’t do OHIP surgeries’ when I really became discouraged with doctor’s attitude. This all changed when I found dr. Shortt.
Surgery was on Oct 6th – I am now 5 days post op and I can tell this is the single best thing I have ever done for myself. Off to my first post op now – will post an update later.

Dr. Shortt made me feel at ease right from the very first appointment a year ago. During my first consultation we went through my medical history, discussed options, pros & cons and level set expectations. I came in armed with a long list of questions and concerns – not only did he patiently answered all of them, but he really did listened to me. When I mentioned I did not even considered OHIP, he asked me why - I guess a lifetime of being thought to suck it up, don’t ask and don’t expect much does a number on you. Long story short, we ended up submitting my paperwork to OHIP and within a few weeks I was approved. How about that for a lesson …
Post op yesterday went really well – had the dressing removed and the tape replaced. I am to keep it on for another week then replace it myself. My next post op is in 2 weeks, have been told to call if anything changes in the meantime. I asked about the type of bra I should be wearing, the Fruit of the Loom I had on is not the best (too bad, it was really comfortable). Need to find something with more support rather than compression, so today I am trying some online shopping.
Incisions are healing nicely so far, there is a bit of a burning sensation but nothing too bad. I have the bad habit of doing everything by myself and not ask for help, I was literally out of breath at the end of the day yesterday. I have to remember it’s ok to let others take care of me for a while.
I only took pain pills for the first couple days - I did not have a lot of pain afterwards, more discomfort than anything else. My biggest 'pain' is coming from having to sleep on my back, I am not getting a lot of good sleep, although I have done everything I could to transform the bed into a comfortable “nest” (lots and lots of pillows). Next on the discomfort list is the belly bloating - it feels very much like when I was 9 months pregnant and I could eat very little before feeling so full I could not breathe. I know this is a side effect from the anaesthesia but I just can’t wait for it to go away.

10 days post op

Healing is going well - I am now able to sleep (partially) on my side and getting much better rest. Bruising is subsiding. I have been taking Arnica and Bromelain, not sure if it helped but there is not much bruising left.
I think right is slightly bigger and lower than left and nipples are a bit further apart than I would have expected - have been looking at all the post op pictures and it seems consistent. Shape seems to be the same, I do not believe I have much swelling so I may end up very close to what I see now. I do realise it is still very early … I will bring it up at my next appointment and see what doc thinks.

Tape off

First time I see them without tape - I am supposed to replace it today. Incisions look good and they seem to be healing well. I have a stitch poking out from under left but I will leave it alone until my post op next week.
I love the fact that they are smaller and perkier, I feel soooo much better, haven’t had any back pain or headaches since the surgery. Shirts and dresses I bought and never wore actually fit now!
Right is definitely bigger, I will ask what can be done about it but for now I am just enjoying what I have gained so far.

Almost 3 weeks post op

I had my second my post op yesterday, the stitch that was poking out from under left was removed and I no longer need to tape. I have to start massaging the scars, especially the one on the left, to help it loosen up and help the left breast become closer in shape to the right. I have purchased silicone sheets and plan to only remove them when I shower. I have to continue wearing a bra at all times for another 3 weeks - I have no desire to remove it anyways, I feel ‘safer’ with it on. I bought several wire-free Bali and Wonderbra’s, they are so very comfortable … I hope to never ever have to buy underwire bras ever again! I am now a large B/small C, which is exactly what I was hoping for.
Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since my surgery and I am unbelievably happy that I went through with it ! For me, the entire experience was much easier than I thought and was prepared for, which was quite a bonus. My next appointment is in 4 weeks, will see how the left breast progresses in the meantime.

4 weeks post op

4 weeks today, hard to believe … I am feeling great, back to normal and don’t really have any discomfort anymore. I am quite good at wearing the silicone sheets - I put them on at night, take them off in the morning. After a few days of wearing them around the clock, I decided to read the written-in-the-smallest-possible-font instructions … turned out they recommend max 12 hours/day … ooops ! Next time, read the instructions first ?! Luckily no harm was done, so moving on : massage the scars … well, this is where I am not so good, 5 min of massage feels like a veeery long time. I do not see any difference really in shape and size compared to couple weeks back. I continue to fit into wire free B cup and sometimes C depending on the brand, but I have not tried an underwire bra yet. I think in the back of my mind I am worried a B may not work as right spills a bit and I don’t want to think about that just yet.
A couple days ago I noticed another stitch under the left breast, it only comes out a bit, not enough to pull on it, which may not be a good idea anyways. I am going to keep an eye on it, if the incision continues to heal well I will wait until my next post op.

6 weeks

It’s been 6 weeks since the surgery, I have been completely back to normal for a while now. The stitch under the left breast disappeared and the shape of it is coming along nicely, the scar is stretching and the breast has softened and lowered.
I have tried a few underwire bras, but I did not buy any. I am a C in those, so I prefer to stay with the more stretchy wire free Bs I bought after the surgery. My next follow up is next week.

9 weeks on

I am a little over 9 weeks, no change really since my last posting. At the last post-op my PS recommended a prescription ointment to help soften the scars, which I have been using twice/day since. I am still wearing the silicone sheets at night. They are starting to loose adherence a bit, the bra keeps them in place though.
I did bring up the size difference and have been advised to wait, as the scar on the left may loosen up more. My next appointment is in Jan.
Toronto Plastic Surgeon

Dr Rodger Shortt is a perfectionist - professional, knowledgeable, great bedside manners, an amazing surgeon with a great sense of humor and a great personality. He genuinely cares about his patients and his work. He once mentioned to me "all I have is my reputation". I live by this motto myself and was amazed to hear it from him. This was my second surgery with Dr. Shortt and he lived up to it each time.