Arm Lift - Oakville, ON

I'd like to thank you ladies for sharing your...

I'd like to thank you ladies for sharing your experiences here. They are a tremendous help. I am 58 years young, have three adult children and two sweet grandsons. I have battled my weight since I can remember and in 2007 I had a gastric band installed. I was at an all time high of 209 lbs. I maintained a steady weight of 160 for several years never reaching my goal of 150. In March, I decided to try Weight Watchers and I love it! There is nothing you can't eat as long as you are honest with your consumption and keep track. I am now holding at 148 for the last month. I would like to maintain a weight between 140-145. All this yoyoing has been rough on my body and after my abuse of it, I certainly get that it owes me nothing. I had a c-section with my last child and a tummy tuck shortly after her birth 25 years ago. I looked great since I weighed 135 and had a beautiful flat belly. Old habits die hard and the rest is history. So here I am. Ready for the last hoorah. New tummy and nice slim, firm arms. My arms have really suffered through my weight loss. Their texture is very crepe like and there is so much extra skin. I never wear sleeveless tops or dresses anymore and I'm tired of wearing a jacket or sweater in the warmest weather just to hide them. I know the scars are no hell but as my daughter said "be proud of your weight loss, you worked hard for it". I have read others here have used a cosmetic make up concealer to hide them.

I have chosen Dr Shortt in Oakville as my surgeon. I feel very comfortable with him. I think he is straight up regarding what I can and cannot expect. The surgery will take place at his office "operating" room.

I am hoping that others who have had both these procedures at the same time can answer a few questions for me.
I know everyone is different but I appreciate any info you can provide.
Best clothes to wear post op for ease of going to the bathroom, dealing with drains, etc..
How difficult is it to get up and down PO doing both procedures at once?
How long before you can use your arms/hands to brush your teeth, wipe, type and so on?
How much time did you take off work? I work at a computer all day so nothing strenuous.
That's it for now. I'm sure more questions will arise.
I'll download some pics shortly.

Dreadful Before

Arm Lift Only Oct 26

Hi RS gang.

I have decided to proceed with just my arm lift at this time. I don't have any sick benefits at work so each week off adds one thousand dollars to the cost. If there is even a teeny set back, the extra time off will really add up. I will go ahead with it in a year or so with the same Dr. I will get some pre op pics up here soon. I am hoping that the Dr can place the incisions low on my arm but not showing from the back. I have my hands forward in front of my body a great deal more than down by my side like a soldier. I have seen all kinds of scars on this site. I saved a few to show him. I will stay with my daughter for recovery and now that I have eliminated the tt, I am hoping recovery will be easier and quicker. Take care.

Today is the day!

Wow, I can't believe my day has come. I feel both nervous and excited. I've had the usual " what am I doing doubts" like so many others but always come back to not being able to stand the way my arms look. So bye bye bat wings! There is a surgery room in the office and I am to be there for 11:30. We should be under way by 12-12:30 hopefully. Thank you to all the beautiful ladies that have shared their journeys and tips. They are much appreciated. Well, I'll see you on the other side.

A few more befores...

one more

Feeling pretty darn good!

Hi Ladies. Sorry my update took so long. Thank you for all your support. I sincerely appreciate it. I arrived at the surgery clinic Wed about eleven am. Switched into my gown, special stocking and houseboat at noon. Nurse came and took my vitals, gave me a cocktail of meds and asked me for relax until the Dr we ready. Dr came in to mark me up. I was very specific as where I wanted the incision so even went so far as I show him some pics of my fellow RSers. He was very patient with me. I became very lightheaded I had to sit down for a few minutes. It was most likely due to no food or water since midnight before. Saw the anesthesiologist a few minutes later and asked him to do whatever he could so that I didn't become nauseated after surgery. I walked into the OR about 1:45. They set me up with something special on my lower legs that was like a squeezable compression garment which was to help cut the risk of blood clots. Everyone was cheery and I felt incredibility at ease. Was out before knew it. I believe I was in recovery two hours later. My arms felt like they were on fire when I woke up. I was in and out for an hour or so. I had some water and cookies and was on my way home by 6 I think. My daughter changed me into my pj's and off to bed I went. I took my antibiotic and two extra strength Tylenol only. I slept off and on all night and was able to get in and out of bed a few times during the night to pee. Where did all that pee come from??? I wasn't able to pull up my pj pants so I left them behind. My daughter had a good chuckle when she found them on the bathroom floor. I took one Tylenol in the morning not because I was in any real pain but more so as a just in case the pain was coming. The only real discomfort I felt was some burning in my armpits only. I rested all day with my arms propped up on the couch. I only took the antibiotic since day two. I called the Dr's office to ask if the pain was coming later and was told that the 36 hour mark is usually the turning point from bad to better. Thankfully, it was never bad. I'm afraid to say that only because I don't want to jinx it! My shoulders get achy from my arms being propped so I adjust then frequently. No shooting pains in my forearms and no sausage fingers. My right hand feels a bit swollen but I think it may not have been elevated enough overnight. I'll keep an eye on it today. I can't really tell how much smaller my arms are because there is gauze stuffed between my cg and my arms. My follow up is Tuesday and it looks like I have to wait til then to find out. All those months of waiting and it's all done. It doesn't feel or look like the incision goes into my armpit so I hope I don't have any issues with the splitting in that area. Fingers crossed.

Yikes! Sorry for the typos.

Using my phone and the screen is small...

Big Reveal!!!

Had my one week post op appointment yesterday. I have really been feeling good and have had little discomfort. The nurse removed my garment...bless her for the relief. The tape removal was a little rough and I had to ask her to give me a breather. The right arm was not a problem. I'm quite pleased with the scar placement. It doesn't seem to be quite as low as some I've seen on here but I only got a good look at them with the pics my daughter took for me at the appt. I can't tell how they will when I have full use of my arms. The incisions look very narrow and don't appear to go too far into my pits. I'm actually afraid of getting the splits in that area which seems to appear during the second week. I'm being extra cautious to not raise my arms to high and if I do I do it very slowly. I have a greater range of motion every day. I was uncomfortable last night especially in the area of my left elbow. When I zoomed in on the pics, I can see that the left incision goes to my elbow and the right ends about an inch or more before it. It's fine with me and I was glad to figure out why. I'm to shower this week with tapes on then change them the following week for one more week. No more tape required but the garment is 24/7 for a total of six weeks. Thanks to the reviews here that said it was a good idea to put mini pads under the garment where it ends smack in the middle of the armpit! It's a big relief. I'm booked for three weeks off but will consider going back after two but for half days only during the third week to not overdue it and ease back in. I don't feel or look swollen. I'm not sure if it's a gentle burning or itchy sensation I'm feeling but it feels good to rub my hand up and down my incision lines. Next post op is in two weeks. I think I start the silicone strips after that. Thank you for your caring and support ladies. Happy healing.

Two week PO tape change pics

As promised, here are the pics of my arms taken last night. Overall I am feeling good and my range of motion is improving. I am being extra cautious about lifting my arms up overhead. I can do so I just extend very slowly. I am terrified of the splitting in the pits. When I ran my hand along the incisions, I noticed that the left is quite smooth. The left side has a slight bit of tension directly in the pit. I added extra tape there for support. The tapes will remain until my second POINT with the surgeon next Tuesday. I am to continue wearing the garment for another four weeks. It's uncomfortable where it ends in the pits and I have minipads there for cushioning. My current garment does up like a bra where my neck meets my shoulders. There is no way I can do it up or undue it on my own. I'm going to check out some compression sleeves that I've seen on line. I'm hoping I can deal with them on my own and that they won't bother my pits. The bonus of my current garment is that it keeps me mindful of my pits. I'll have to think that thru. I hope my fellow arm lift pals continue to heal with minimal complications.

More pics

Oops, I accidentally hit post. Here are the rest.

I found Dr Shortt to be very informative and patient. He actually leaned back in his chair during our conversation and took a great deal of time explaining things to me. Our consult was over an hour long and free if you mention Real Self. I have been for a second visit to ask more questions as well as more details regarding things we had already discussed. At no time did I feel pressured to do other procedures and he was very honest regarding my expectations.