17 Years of Thinking About It - New Jersey

I consulted with Dr. Burnett in maybe April/June....

I consulted with Dr. Burnett in maybe April/June. It took me 2 months and 1 other consult to decide if he was for me. He does all open rhinos and I decided he would be able to give me dramatic enough results for this bulbous honker of mine. The office was relaxed but professional all at once. He answered so many questions...I had a lot (I've been researching this since I was 9 lol). It helped that he was African American himself and he was realistic in my symmetry and what he could and could not do to my face. I also like that he asked for a wish pic. Will keep you guys posted.

The big day is coming!

Dr. Burnett started me on a ton of vitamins and encouraged healthy eating so I would heal well. My surgery day is Black Friday and I am excited but scared all at once. Please pray for me. I have wanted this for years and really wish for good results.

2 or 3 days out (in a fog)

Ok so I've been home and am in a lot of pain. The way I describe it is a really bad cold. Congestion, dry mouth, food sucks, but I'm keeping my eye on the prize. Removed my lower bandages after day 1 and will date everyone that drainage (eww) but I'm on a ton of meds and in and out of sleep (elevated of course).

No pic update because not mcuh has changed

My swelling has went down and I'm not nearly as uncomfortable as I was previously. Mouth still is dry but hot water and lemon is helping. I still feel myself draining when I look down for too long (like a runny nose) but don't see any trace on my bandages. My follow up to remove my packing is December 1 and I can' t wait to *Toni Braxton voice* "breathe again".

I have no idea what I look like so I can't call the results but I'm being reasonable. This is a potential year long healing period, but hey I had a nose I didn't like for 27 years, I'm supposed to look different.

If all else fails, my contour game is strong.

Tape off, Tape on

Alright, Alright. Alright. I can breathe y'all. This is a precious life indeed. They removed all of my packing today so I sound a little better and can breathe through my nose.
I did not get to see my nose (Dr. Burnett declined) but my mom got a peek and she likes it. It's still quite swollen but it looks smaller to me already.
I got some steroid shots in my nose and am taking oral steroids as well that are nasty as s*it (no one warned me lol). So far I'm satisfied y'all. To know that swelling will go down in my nose even more, and I think it's cute already with tape, makes me giddy af.

No Pic, Just Feelings

Tape still on so no pic update. But today I am feeling congested and sniffly. It's not that old congestion when I couldn't breathe or smell at all, but I just feel like my allergies are tripping. My nose is running a ton but I don't want to blow it because even though I'm allowed to I don't wanna get my tape all mucousy.
Also is a day where I feel like my nose looks the same. Yep. I'm in a little funk (not huge, just a tiny one). I just try to remember that:
A. This is a process and this is only week 2
B. You're still swollen
C. Dr. Burnett TOLD ME from the jump, that in the first few weeks I will look at myself thinking I look great, then on random days I will think "Did he do anything?"
This is that day!
My wish pic looked like me. That was the point. I wanted to look like me and not like I'm not even a member of my family. I know I'm going to have a subtle change but I'm just not seeing it today

Not Final-But Bandage Free!!!

Big Reveal
0:30
I'm excited. I'm really excited. I got my bandages off today and can now walk the streets without people thinking I got into a bar fight. I'm 2 full weeks post and the nose is really taking shape. II was taught how to massage my nose and tape at night, and keep this whole process going for about 6 months. I still have to sleep on my back but I don't mind, I just can't get blackout drunk ; ) The only thing that is a little weird are my nostrils but it was explained that they've always been a bit asymmetrical so that can't really be changed much. I think I am looking at myself way too hard and will get used to it, but when Dr. Burnett let me see my face for the first time I was so excited that I left the office without getting my stitches removed from my ribs (I really should get that done). Overall my experience has been great. I'm still waiting for the depression and overanalyzing to set in (I'm diagnosed w/anxiety and depression) but so far my mood hasn't been bad concerning surgery or recovery.
Overall my experience with Dr. Burnett has been A-1. Lori (Nurse Asst) even took video of how to tape and massage my nose for my own reference. I loved it and hope I not hooked.
Westfield Plastic Surgeon