Tummy Tuck, 34 Year Old, 2 Kids, Diastasis Recti. Miami, FL

I am 34 years old with two children ages 2 and 4....

I am 34 years old with two children ages 2 and 4. I am 5'3 and 120 pounds. Unfortunatly I got a diastasis recti with my second child. This is my main reason for going through with surgery. The diastasis makes me bloat and feel full very easily. I do not feel comfortable wearing dresses anymore. I had two consultations, one in Vermont where I live and one with Dr. Hochstein in Miami. For many reasons, I did not feel comfortable with the surgeon in Vermont. I feel more comfortable going to someone that does this procedure more often. Dr. Hochstein office was clean, his staff was very friendly. Though he is very busy he made me feel like I was the only patient in his office during our visit. He was well mannered and answered all of my husband and I's questions. I am currently scheduled for a tummy tuck with muscle repair on 10/11/16. I am contemplating adding on a breast augmentation. According to Victoria secret I am a 32C, however I feel I am more of a large B. I know this is going to be an exciting and long journey! Reading the stories and seeing pictures on this website have been a blessing and a curse. I am pretty nervous for the recovery and any possible complications. I want a "nice" scar, I don't want dog ears, I want a nice belly button without any scaring, I don't want swell hell. All probably to much to ask for :) In the next 6 months I plan to get in better shape to hope for a faster recovery. Six months to go and counting down the days!

Breast aug

I've decided I'm adding on a breast augmentation...why not go for it! I feel confident being in the hands of the "boob God." I have 3+ months to go...getting excited!

Mammogram done!

Mammogram done and normal! Hard to believe I only have 5 weeks to go! Getting excited!

Pre op done!

Flew into florida last night. Had pre op today, basically signed my life away in a stack of forms. I had a list of questions for Dr.H and he answered them all without feeling rushed. He did not recommend an implant size for me but based on pictures I showed him he had me try on 330cc and 375cc. I chose 330cc he will add some since it will be under the muscle so will end up being about 385cc. Picking the size was the hardest part so far. Then they took pictures then I met with Amanda to go over surgery time, scripts, etc. She is amazing, so detailed and makes you feel very comfortable. I'll have to say I have been so nervous these last couple of weeks but after being in his office today I am less nervous and more excited! I started arnica capsules today. Surgery is scheduled for tomorrow mid morning. Craziest thing I learned today was I can never do another push up in my life, in order to keep the implants from moving to a different position. What a bummer since I do pure barre class. Oh well!

These pictures remind me why I'm doing this...can't wait for a flat tummy and a non sagging belly button!

Made it, was so happy to wake up. I was in a lot of pain...felt like bricks on my chest and my stomach killed. The nurse gave me a Percocet and anti-nausea medicine. I guess I was in recovery for over an hour but it only felt like 10 minutes. They got me dressed quickly and off I went home. Once home I attempted to sit in a recliner but I found the bed with lots of pillows more comfortable. I basically slept on and off all day. I'm taking a half of a Percocet every 2-3 hours. I found the whole one al at once made me too dizzy. Inset my alarm for every 3 hours last night and my husband helped me get up and walk, empty the drain, and take the pain medicine. I even got up once all by myself to go to the bathroom, very impressed with my myself! Dr. h called last night to check in, which was nice. This morning I am super stiff. My stomach feels very very swollen. I am draining quite a bit from the lipo to the flanks. My husband is changing out the abd pads here and there. I cannot stand for more than 5 minutes at a time or I get really light headed and break into a cold sweat. I have zero appetite but have to eat for the medications. Overall it has not been as bad as I expected....but I recall reading today is usually the worst day. My boobs from what I can see look awesome! Ok back to bed :)

Breast aug

So far this has been the easiest part! I had a bit of tightness in my right side but otherwise they must be numb because I haven't had any pain. I'm also surprised I can move my arms around pretty freely. Which is good because I'm SO itchy from the Percocet!!

Little progress

Last night was pretty miserable. I slept well until midnight but then woke up with awful back pain, chills, and sweating. I felt feverish but luckily didn't have a fever. My husband flew back home early this morning as we have two kids (2 and 4 years old) so that was difficult saying goodbye. I just cannot find a comfortable position. I haven't had a bowel movement yet...taking colace and miralax. Have no appetite, bought some ensure otherwise eating some crackers here and there. My incision has been stinging in one section so we finally looked last night and it has been rubbing on the compression garment, the ABD pad had slipped, ouch. I'm not sure there is anything coming out of this lidocaine pump, hard to see if there is. I SO look forward to my follow up appt tomorrow with Dr. h to get these wraps and pain pump out. The drain is going to be with me a Bit longer. I desperately want a shower. I even more desperately want to sleep on my side. I know this will be a distant memory soon. Looking forward to days 5 and 6 when people say things start looking up!

Post op visit

Had my first post op visit today. The nurse came in and took the tape off my breasts (ouch) and the binder off my stomach which felt so good! Then I waited for what felt like forever. He took a quick glance and said it all looked great. Guess it was a surgery day for him so it was a quick visit. They left my drain and pain pump. The nurse put the binder back on and fit me with a surgical bra. I took a shower when I got back, and feel amazing now! I got a little too ambitious and dried my hair and now my right breast under my arm hurts, hopefully I didn't screw anything up! Wishing so much I would have gone a size bigger. They ended up looking smaller than I expected. Maybe when they drop and fluff they will look bigger? SO happy with my stomach!

Comparison picture

Pre pic versus post op day 3. Amazing results so far!

Not even sure what post op day I'm at?! 4 or 5...all the days are a blur! I'm feeling worlds better. Tapering off of the pain meds. Most of my pain is when I wake up in the morning and before bed, mostly at the drain site and overall stiffness. The drain hasn't been as much of a pain as I thought it would be but I'm ready for it to be out. Praying I don't have to go home with it. It's been less than 25cc for 24 hours the last two days so they should pull it tomorrow. The incision looks great, totally straight and thin until you get to the drain then not sure what happened, its more puckered and uneven there. Not to worried about it yet, he said it should heal flat. I stuffed ABD pads between the incision and this awfully uncomfortable binder. I bought a pair of "high power" spanx, not sure if I'll use those or purchase what his office sells. I finally had a bowel movement! I would recommend colace twice a day and miralax once a day starting right after the surgery, it worked well! I get spasms every once in awhile in my breasts otherwise I forget I even had them done, no pain. I didn't really receive any post op instructions for that part so I'm afraid to pick up anything or push/pull....I'll have to ask at my last post op visit tomorrow. Hoping he gives me more than 2 seconds of his time tomorrow. Still sleeping sitting up. Using walker here and there. Still hunched over but much more straighter than I was. It's been nice to recover without my 2 and 4 year old though I miss them and am looking forward to going home in 2 days. Saving some pain medicine for the flight home,
Will be a long day! I haven't had to deal with stairs yet, but I have stairs at home so I'm sure that will be slow going. Overall super happy I did this. Sure it's painful and you need to be mentally prepared to be waited on hand and foot (which has been tough for me as I am super independent) but it was not nearly as bad as I anticipated. Though I know I still have a long road ahead!

Last post op

Flying back to Vermont tomorrow so had my last post op with Dr. H today. I was so excited to get my drain pulled as it hadn't been draining the last two days...come to find out it was clogged! Ha soooo wasn't as lucky as I thought! I really don't mind the drain itself it's just the Velcro binder that's my worst enemy. They make you Velcro it SO tight and I have a short torso so it gets all bunchy. I look forward to the second stage garment once the drain is gone. Otherwise he said everything looks good. They showed me how to do the breast massages. Told me to take an aspirin before getting on the plane and to do calf stretches. That was about it. The staff was as friendly and helpful as always! Dr. H was quick but as always made sure to answer all my questions. I'm off of the pain meds and just taking Tylenol here and there. I'm getting used to sleeping sitting up surprisingly. I'm not using the walker anymore, but still walking pretty hunched. I went out to dinner tonight which was great and made me feel like a normal person again :) question I forgot to ask him today....did anyone have swelling between their breasts over the sternum? I just noticed this today, actually after I did the massage for the first time. The skin there feels tight and if I press down it is hollow. Hoping that's just part of the swelling and it goes away soon. Anyone else remember that??

Just have to say wheelchair assistance through the airport is awesome! Bypassed all the lines!

Back home

Swell hell stomach and Kankles....guess that's what you can expect after a day of travel. Was so excited to see my kids again after 9 very long days! Of course then the emotions set in of being completely useless around the house. Can't reach over my head, hurts to much to bend down to pick something up that they've dropped, can't stand for more than 5 minutes, still hunched, etc etc. thank god for my husband! I have one more week off of work so I'm going to try to rest up as much as I can and keep this binder tight to keep this swelling under control. Stepped on the scale and it was not a pretty number! After eating so minimally for days after surgery thought I was going to see an impressive number, ill blame it on the swelling and implants! ????

Post op day 9

Feeling great! Taking Tylenol with minimal pain. The swelling is real though. I am
Constantly swollen, worse by the end of the day. I'm still trying to mostly rest (catching up on lots of TV) but when the kids get home from school I'm up and about for a few hours. Took my first shower by myself today, even dried my hair. Wanted to do a trial run as I'm back to work on Tuesday. Went well, just took like 30 minutes longer than usual as I'm more slow and cautious these days. Still have my drain, it's draining about 30cc a day. I am ready for it to come out but then again I wouldn't mind hanging on to it a bit longer as I'm deathly afraid of getting a seroma esp being out of state from my doc. The only thing I'm not crazy about so far is my belly button, which was actually what I was most excited about. I know it's still very early in the game. As you can see in the picture it looks like there are arms or nubs growing out of it, which is really freaking me out! I pray that's just swelling that settles down and I have more of a hole. Anyone know? Especially those that had surgery with Dr. H...did yours change over the months? Overall still happy I did this. Basically 0 pain in my breasts with great range of motion of my arms. Incision doesn't hurt at all, though drain area is a bit sensitive. Stomach is definitely numb and feels 100 times better with the binder on even though that thing is my enemy. Most pain is my flanks where the lipo was done.

Day 12

Still feeling good. Not taking any pain meds. I have discomfort in the flanks if I press on them, feels bruised. Overall I just feel very stiff. I wake up standing about 70% straight and this improves over the day but certainly not standing 100% straight yet. My PS said I could sleep on my back at 10 days, I keep trying but it makes my incision feel tight, like it's stretching. So I'm sleeping with 3 pillow behind by back and one under my knees. I still have my drain, it's been draining 15-25cc the last couple of days, I assume it will come on Tuesday which will be my 2 week mark. My surgery was done in a different state so my primary care doc will have to pull it. My stomach is pretty numb, but I don't realize this unless I touch it. I'm still swollen and of course worry it's a seroma, may take a video of me pushing on my stomach to email to my PS to see what they think. It doesn't feel soft like fluid or create that wave, so probably just normal swelling. I have 2 sutures that are popping ("spitting") out the tiniest bit, so will also ask if they should stay, be trimmed, or pulled out. I'm sooooo sick of this compression garment so tight and uncomfortable. I look forward to spanx in a couple of days.
No real update on the breasts. They obviously still need to drop. I've been doing the massages as instructed. No pain there though!
Overall it's too early to judge if I'm super happy with the results, taking it one day at a time. I think once this swelling subsides and the drain is pulled I'll feel like a new person! I have two questionable areas; my belly button and my left side where the drain is is very choppy.
For now 2 more days of rest (as much rest as you can get with a 2 and 4 year old) then back to work!

Drain is out ???? I feel like a new person already! Stung coming out, as it becomes wider than the tube that sticks out. Cannot believe how long that thing is!!! My marena compression garment is being delivered on Wednesday, so just 2 more days of this binder. Next on the agenda is standing up straight and get rid of this swell hell! Back to work tomorrow. Fingers crossed for no seromas as my activities increase.

Past the 2 week mark!

I'm back to work full time. I'm a nurse practitioner so I'm up and down a lot. I'm still not standing up all the way so it's been a bit annoying explaining why to everyone, I'm about to just make a sign lol. I feel very very tight and stiff but I have no pain since being back to work. Last night I was able to sleep mostly flat. I had two pillows under my head and one under my knees. Prior to that I've been sleeping sitting totally upright in my bed, so that was a treat! I'm a side sleeper and cannot wait to get back to that....Dr. h said usually around 2 months that is comfortable. Some of the scabs are stating to fall off the tummy incision and where thats happened it looks great! This afternoon I began experiencing a stabbing burning pain in the center of my incision. I looked at it a few hours later and it had drained a couple drops of clear yellow fluid (I wear a gauze pad between the binder and the incision as I feel the binder is so rough on the incision) and that one part looks a bit red. PRAYING this isn't the start of an infection. I'm hoping the scab just got tugged at a little. I ordered the body suit (second stage compression garment) unfortunately in the wrong size,
So I'm still waiting for the right one to arrive. I'm SO over this binder. It leaves dents everywhere because it's not smooth and it constantly rides up and is all scrunched. My breasts are looking awesome!! I am feeling better about the size as the continue to settle. They are slightly itchy at times otherwise they have been the easiest part of this process! My belly button still looks so funky which really bums me out but they assure me it's just swollen and it will improve. I'll post pictures soon! Happy recovery to everyone!
Miami Plastic Surgeon