Lapband Patient from Australia Travelling to Miami for BBL - Surgery Booked for 21-03-2017 - Miami, FL

Sort by:
*Treatment results may vary

I have had a mixed experience so far. After some...

I have had a mixed experience so far. After some RS stalking, I had narrowed my options down to Dr Hasan and Dr Fisher. Contacted Vanity via email and after a response, called and spoke to Leo. She suggested I go with Dr Hasan - more than happy to, love his work! Through email correspondence (way easier for me with the time difference) I checked with my coordinator that Dr Hasan would be comfortable performing my surgery with my lap band in place - he confirmed it was fine. In true organised Virgo form I set my surgery date, paid my deposit and booked my flights. So far, so good right? I received pre op instructions a few days later from Claudia. I emailed her back asking if Dr Hasan was 100% confident with performing the surgery with my lap band - I'm not sure why I did it, I was just feeling unsettled about the situation. Well...always trust your instincts ladies (and gents)!! I received an email from Leo a few days later saying that Dr Hasan was no longer confident performing the surgery and suggested I go with Dr Fisher as he has experience with my situation. No problem except... Dr Fisher was away the week I was initially booked in for... And I'd already booked my flights... from Australia... which were going to cost me close to $1000 to change. You'd think that considering Vanity had got me into this predicament they'd help a sister out but apparently they don't operate that way. As I'm not willing to throw away $1000 especially considering I had disclosed all necessary information straight up and Vanity were not willing to accommodate me, I had no choice but to cancel. You'd assume that after all this drama that Vanity willingly refund my deposit and move on. Wrong. They are now wanting to charge me a $400 cancellation fee even though they have provided no service and it's their fault I had to cancel. Ridiculous. That whole thing is yet to be finalised. ANYWAY onto the great news. Have been dealing with Nancy from Dr Salama's office - what a breath of fresh air that has been. Prompt and informative responses and she is so warm and friendly! Now booked in with Dr Salama for the 21st of March (my original surgery date) and I am beyond excited, absolutely love how he shapes the body. As I have lost a considerable amount of weight I do have loose skin particularly around my back, Nancy advised they have a technique that tightens the skin during lipo - definitely something I'm considering as well as the cell saver - I know recovery from BBL is no joke and anything that can help, I'm down for! I'll keep everyone posted on my journey.

Return Flights

So I have been panicking majorly lately regarding my 20 hour trek (not including the 2 stopovers ????????) back to Melbourne and the impact it's going to have on my surgery. I am staying in Miami for 15 days post op - so sitting down for that period of time is not an option. Lucky for me I've booked through Air New Zealand and lucky for me they now offer the skycouch. It's basically the entire row to yourself where the handles go down and the feet rests go up to form a bed kinda thing. They provide you with a mattress, pillows and blankets as well. Even though it cost me as much as my tickets, it's seriously the perfect solution to my dilemma

Blood work

I'm not sure if anyone else travelling from Australia has had the same issue - I am having so much trouble with getting the correct tests done. Doesn't help that I have a phobia of blood tests so fingers crossed everything works out well... I'm dreading the thought of doing another one.

Cleared & Paid

Cleared for surgery and paid off my balance. Shit is getting real!

I've added some with pics - I definitely go for more the bubble butt though not sure if it'll work for as I have pretty wide hips ????

Elite Retreat Recovery Home

I have already booked a property through Airbnb for my 19 day stay and thought I'd have a nurse come stay with me for the first couple of days post op. I've changed my mind and am now staying at Elite Retreat in Hollywood. I think it's fairly new as I can't find any reviews about it. I'm staying for 3 nights and will start with them picking me up post op. I've uploaded some pics, looks pretty nice!

Insurance

Nancy from Dr Salama's office has confirmed that they do not offer insurance for either local or international patients. I still haven't received a response on what happens in the event of a complication - this really concerns as this is not even something that I can get through travel insurance. Be sure to do your homework BEFORE deciding on a surgeon particularly if you are international patient.

Arrived in Miami!!

After an almost 30 hour transit, I've arrived in Miami. Luckily my Airbnb host allowed me to check in early! Received an email from Nomie while in transit - my preop is on Monday at 12pm. Can't wait!!!

Night Before...

So I had my preop with Nomie today - she's great, made me feel better as I'm so nervous and anxious at the moment. I also decided to add my chin cause why not?? She gave me all my post op instructions, my prescription for all the meds I need and info about the recovery house. I'm booked in for 9am and I just realised that the operating rooms are 500 metres from my hotel so I can just walk over in the morning - handy. Anyway, fingers crossed all goes well, am going to try to get some sleep now.

23 Days Post Op

Soooooo surgery done and dusted and back in Melbourne now. Not going to lie - recovery was and still is tough!! Day of surgery walked over to the centre as my hotel coincidentally was on the same street and only 500m away. Met Dr Salama who is so warm and funny. Straight shooter though! I had gained uhh... much more then the recommended 10-15 pounds so he said he most likely wouldn't be able to get all of it which I figured anyway but at least I had ample fat to work with! I have to say - waiting times are a drain!! I was there at 9am and didn't get into surgery until 11.45. Anyway, was taken into surgery and fell asleep to the incredibly painful IV (weird, never experienced that before). Woke up shivering and with pretty bad nausea though no pain. Justin from the recovery house came and picked me up and dropped me off at the house. The first day I felt no pain - I threw up (I'm sensitive to anaesthetic) but that was the only discomfort I felt. Day 2 - wow. Pain kicked in with a vengeance. I have tried to block out the first week post op, that's how shit it was. It was uncomfortable, I was nauseas for 5 days, weak and the drains made life a misery. I'll continue my update tomorrow as too much to get through but I've added some pics from the early days.
Miami Plastic Surgeon