Two weeks post op! Rhinoplasty 18th Nov 2016

Hi guys! I'm fairly new to this site but it's been...

Hi guys! I'm fairly new to this site but it's been so helpful so far! I thought I'd share my story so far with you all. I'm a 22 year old from Brisbane and I've been thinking about having rhinoplasty for the past three years or so. I'm happy with the way my nose looks front on (although not always happy with how it photographs!) but I do have a mild dorsal hump on the side and I feel like it gives me an ugly profile :( The major thing that's been holding me back from definitely pursuing rhinoplasty is that I do feel like I have a pretty face from front-on and I don't want to potentially mess that up to improve my profile. Facial surgery is a big deal! The other major consideration is the cost - this surgery isn't cheap, especially in Australia.

That being said, from front-on my nose sometimes does photograph weirdly. I have a very narrow bridge and you can see where the hump is at certain angles. This can look a bit harsh in photos with strong lighting, and this is another argument for me to have rhinoplasty done.

While researching rhino, I have absolutely fallen in love with the noses done by Dr Grigoryants in the US (both from photos on his website and from girls on here). I was wondering what your opinions were on getting rhino overseas. The cost (especially if things go wrong) and the long haul-flight are my major concerns. If anybody could let me know roughly how much their rhino with Dr Grigoryants cost, or what their experience was like as an overseas patient, that would be amazing!

The other doctor I was potentially considering is Dr Shahidi in Sydney, so if anybody could let me know how much their rhino with him cost/what their experience was like, that would be so appreciated. I'm uploading a ton of photos too so you can see what I'm talking about when I describe my nose!

Please

Consultation booked

Almost as soon as I wrote that initial post, I realized how overwhelming travelling to another country for surgery would be. So, I've ruled out going overseas for rhino. I've actually now booked a consultation with a doctor here in Brisbane for next Thursday, and I'm feeling really nervous about it but also excited. Will update on how it goes :)

More photos

Just added some more photos with some different views of my nose

Had my first consultation

I had my first consult on Thursday and it went really well! The doctor was really nice and knowledgeable, and everything that he pointed out on my nose were things that have bothered me as well, so it's great to know that we're on the same page. His office will be sending me through a quote in the next couple of days so fingers crossed that it's not outrageously expensive. I've decided that this is something that I reaaallyy want to do now.

He suggested that he repair some collapsed cartilage on my left side, raise the tip slightly, remove the hump and create more obvious definition between the columnella and the skin below my nose. I'm uploading a photo of the type of nose that we discussed me getting in my consult. It was just made on an online app so it's pretty rough, but if my nose turned out vaguely similar to this I'd be happy!

Photo from my consult

This is the profile photo that the doctor gave me to take home after my consult. You can really see how visible my nostrils are in profile, and how masculine the hump makes my nose appear. Yikes :(

Got my quote!

So I received my quote today. It'll cost me around $10 000, assuming that my insurance covers hospital admission and that I get a small rebate as outlined on the quote. This is definitely doable so I've booked a second consultation for the 19th of August :) Exciting times!

Playing around with apps

Ready for surgery but family not supportive

I finally have the financial means to get this done and have booked a consult for this Friday. I'm pretty excited about it but my family are very disapproving and that's getting me down. They keep saying that there's nothing wrong with my nose, that a surgeon would have to be "crazy" to operate on it and that I'm risking "ending up like Michael Jackson" or getting a horrible infection.

I've attached some photos of my nose at its worst angles - I can clearly see that there's a bump, which generally looks fine from the front but can make my nose look very sharp in certain lighting, and always looks bad in profile.

This is something that I want done for myself, but it's hard when your family is dead against it. Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

Front on

Just uploading a photo that shows some of the things I don't like about my nose from front on. It's only obvious in certain photos but my nose can look quite sharp, the nostrils flare a lot when I smile, and my columella droops. It just doesn't look as soft/feminine as I would like.

Tomorrow's the day!

Surgery is happening tomorrow morning! I'm pretty nervous but also super excited to say goodbye to this nose. It'll be great to not feel self conscious about my profile anymore! Just hoping my trust in my surgeon is worth it and I get a nice result :)

Surgery done, panicking a bit

I had my surgery yesterday, all went fine at the hospital and have just been recovering at home. I haven't needed much pain relief at all, the main annoying thing is the congestion and dry mouth from not being able to breathe through my nose!

I'm pretty worried by my nostrils - I know it's early but the one thing I told my surgeon that I didn't want was for my nostrils to be more prominent after surgery. He said that he could pretty much guarantee that they wouldn't be and that he would try to actually reduce their size, but they look huuuuuuuge right now. Trying to tell myself that it's very early and not to worry too much but it's stressful when it's your face :(

Photos didn't upload for some reason!

Cast off!

I got my cast and splints off today! It was pretty uncomfortable but I feel so much better now that they're out. My nose very swollen but I'm so happy :) He did exactly what I asked for! Sorry some of the pics are really grotty - I couldn't resist taking photos as soon as the cast was off, before I'd cleaned my face up a bit!

Post-op and cast off photos

2 weeks post op

Here are a couple of before and afters from the first day I put make up on - 12 days post op. I finally felt human again and not like a troll with a big sausage for a nose haha. It was a bit hard to get a nice makeup application because the skin on my nose is so flaky! I've been moisturizing it heaps and gently cleansing my nose daily and I think it's improving though :)

I still have a few hard clots/scabs at the front of my nose that I don't want to try too hard to get rid of because they're near my columella scar and internal stitches. I'm using the saline spray a few times a day and still trying to take it pretty easy. My surgeon gave me a new cast to wear at my removal appointment for when I'm not in public so I'm wearing that at night, but apart from that I feel pretty much back to normal!

Even though my nose still looks really swollen to me from the front I'm so happy with my results so far. My surgeon really did a great job with the nose he had to work with!

2 weeks post op photos

For some reason the photos never upload with my post! See above for my two week update and fingers crossed the photos work this time.
Andrew Broadhurst