Decided to Go to Costa Rica and Drs. Arguello and Arce... - Costa Rica

I have been looking through all of the before and...

I have been looking through all of the before and after pictures for months now and have made my decision! I figure if I'm going to get work done (facelift, CO2 laser treatment for lines and wrinkles, blasphemy, and a breast lift/revisions), I might as well do it in a lovely country and travel to another country to do so! Dr. Arguello has 5 star ratings and his work is phenomenal based on the pictures on Real Self. Believe it or not, I used to be and feel attractive...now I just feel old, saggy and VERY UNATTRACTIVE!!! I used to turn men's heads but now they don't even look or if they do, they immediately turn away. I have been wanting to do this for years now and now that I'm retired and have all of the time in the world to do something like this...I'M GOING FOR IT AND SO EXCITED!!!

Date set, airfare booked and excited already!!!

Well Dr. Arce and I finally decided on a date that works for all of us ???? I all be arriving in Costa Rica on 7/24, appt with Drs. Arguello and Arce on 7/25 and 1st surgery on 7/27! I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT WAIT!!! TWO MONTHS WILL FEEL LIKE A LIFETIME...Will keep you updated where I'll be staying and hopefully I can meet those of you having surgery at the same time????

Want CO2 laser resurfacing done 2 after FL.

Can anyone refer me to a great Dr. to perform regular CO2 laser resurfacing in San Jose or nearby?

Estimated cost....

I just wanted to let everyone know that my estimated costs includes: face lift, neck lift, blepharoplasty(eyes), breast lift w/implant replacement and revisions, associated cost with surgeries, airfare and lodging.

Reservations confirmed with Drs. Aguello and Arce, and Che Tica ranch for recovery...

I now have everything in line for my procedures and my stay in Costa Rica! I know I should not be as excited as I am because I'll be in some pain, but I still can't wait to start the rest of my life as the new improved me!!!

What to do? What to do? IN NEED OF ADVICE...

I have contacted Dr. Arce to get prices for a mini tummy tuck and liposuction. I don't think I'll have money to have both procedures done in addition to the other surgeries I want done. For those of you who have had these procedures done...which one do you think is most beneficial? The costs are comparable for both surgeries...please help...I don't know which one to choose ????

Pictures for Mini Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

I asked for your advice on which procedure to go for (mini tummy tuck or liposuction) but I did want to share pics...but realized I need to for opinions. SO HERE GOES...AUGH!!!!

The Final Countdown!!! Just 12 and 15 more days and counting...

Well I started looking for a good plastic surgeon about six months ago and found GREAT ONEs in Costa Rica, Drs. Arguello and Arce. Many things have changed since I first began my search; the number of procedures I want done, where I am staying to recover, retirement, and how I feel about my appearance.

With regard to the procedures, I've decided to get as much done as possible! I was originally going to just get a fl, nl, upper and lower bleph, breast lift, new smaller implants and breast revision. Now I have decided to go for an eyebrow lift, with cutting the corrugator muscle (forms the 11s on the forehead), mini tt, and lipo in addition to everything else. Of course it will depend on my face to face meeting with the good Drs, and what they recommend. Unlike most ps patients, I want to look somewhat different and want them to make improvements wherever possible! I don't care who realizes what I have done once I return!
I decided to change my recovery facility because I have Multiple Sclerosis. I felt in addition to having both a chronic disease and having ps, I need to recover in the best medical recovery facility available and not take any chances with my health or life.
I am now retired on disability due to my MS. My job requires me to know, advises and apply federal laws and regulations every working day. My MS has progressed from remitting relapsing to secondary. I no longer have relapses and luckily all of my symptoms have remitted (gone away) with the exception of my brain. Oddly, MS first attacked my brain in 5/90 and it is the only body part left severely affected. I have lost both my long term and short ter memory and have to be given everything in writing and write myself reminders for important things. I thank God everyday that I am not physically disabled and am able to lead a somewhat normal life.

Finally, upon posting my pictures on RS, I have gone back and looked at them MANY TIME and am disgusted by what I see. I don't wear makeup unless I am going out someplace special and had no makeup on in the photos. Now I understand why I no longer was turning any heads and no one flirted with me anymore! I have let my appearance go so much. I used to be a size 4 and somewhat attractive in my 30's, but I have let everything go to hell!!! Now I feel this is my time for myself! I have raised two sons (27 and 24) as a single mother as I got divorced in 1994 and never remarried. I feel as if I have earned and deserve this experience. It is a shame I am just realizing this now!
I will be for Costa Rica in 12 short days (7/24) and will have my surgery in just 15 days (7/27). I CANNOT BELIEVE I will be having sugery in just 15 days at this very moment (9 am)! I am both excited and nervous but I understand that is normal after reading everyone's posts here on RS. I just want to thank everyone for posting their pictures and journeys on this site...you don't realize how nice it is to learn from others who have or are going through what I'm about to. A VERY SPECIAL thank you to those of you who have private messaged me with invaluable information, advice and encouragement!!! I would be lost without the advice and guidance of those on this site I have followed and emailed.

Staying at Verdeza Post Surgery and 100 percent happy with my decision!!!

I changed my mind on where I was starting for post surgical care. I read a comment about where I was staying versus the credentials, amenities, and attentive medical care you receive at Verdeza so I switched facilities. A huge thank you to the RS member who posted the comment that directed me to Verdeza!

IN COSTA RICA AT LAST...

I touched Dow in Costa Rica at last. When I first started this journey, I felt like it was years away but I'm actually here now in Costa Rica!
It is a beautiful place and the locals are so friendly! Carlos, the driver from Verdeza picked me up from the airport and brought me to theQuality Inn, where I'll be staying until after my surgery. The rooms are large, extremely clean and have everything in them one could possibly need. The staff is extremely friendly and some already know me by name.
I went this morning for my bloodwork and chest X-Ray. I will go tomorrow for and meet with the cardiologist for an electrocardiograph just to make sure my ticker is fine for surgery. Then it's off to meet with Drs. and Arguello to find out what procedures I will actually have based on their evaluations and recommendations. I can't wait to meet them in person!!!

First Surgery Complete and Second Surgery Scheduled for Saturday!

Well friends, I made it through my 1st surgery yesterday with flying colors. My first surgery included the following: face lift, neck lift, brow lift, blepharoplasty, platysmalplasty and chemical peel. I have had NO PAIN and very minimal bruising so far! The only thing I have experienced some swelling which is being treated with cold compresses of chamomile teabags.

This Saturday I will go to UNIBE Clinic for my 2nd surgery which includes: breast lift, replacement of implants, mini tummy tuck some fat transfer/injection into my face and liposuction.

Drs. Arguello and Arce are not only ABSOLUTELY AMAZING SURGEONS but also kind and caring ones. I am not able to see my results yet, but I have every confidence in them. I just hope my second surgery is as easy as my first even though I'm sure it won't be as it will be messing with many parts of my body! I will post pictures once I feel like taking some--probably tomorrow...

Finally some pictures of my face 4 days after surgery! Before and After...

Below are the before and after pics oh my face 4 days after my face/neck lift, brow lift, platy and a chemical peel. The black marker marks are from yesterday's fat transfer as Dr. Arguello marked where he would transfer some during surgery. I am still quite swollen and my face is red where skin came off--but to my amazement, the chemical peel did/does not hurt AT ALL. Even though you probably can't really see much of a difference, I can certainly see a HUGE difference although I am red and swollen!!! I AM ONE HAPPY CAMPER right now :)

Forgot to mention I had upper and lower blepharoplasty done as well..,

Upper and lower blepharoplasty done too...

Few pictures of body--before and after

A few pictures as it is not that easy to take pics of yourself

These pictures are not that good but I'll try to get copies that my doctor takes. I am very pleased! My nipples are smaller now. My breast actually look like I wanted them to look from my teenage years:) I hope these pictures help to show the amazing work Dr. Arguello does!

COSTA RICA IS THE BEST!!!

Ola from Costa Rica and Verdeza!!! I just wanted to pass along some information about some dental work I had done at America Dental which is only about 2 blocks from Verdeza and is PHENOMENAL! MANY Americans travel to CR for dental work and now I understand why. I had not seen my dentist in the states for over a year so a cleaning was definitely needed!
The assistant cleaned and scaled my teeth thoroughly and for the first time ever, I had NO BLEEDING OF MY GUMS! Her thorough cleaning cost only $50.
I originally went in for a cleaning and teeth whitening but they found 5 small cavities. I was a HEAVY smoker until about 2 months ago so I fully expected to have some cavities--especially since I hadn't seen my dentist in a long time:( Each filling was only $60. The dental consult for the whitening was $50.00 The teeth whitening cost was $350 for 1 hour of laser whitening.
Since I had liked and trusted them so much I decided to have them make a replacement moth guard for night (I grind my teeth). In the states, the same mouth guard costs around $900. At America Dental it cost $200. They used the same material to prepare the mold and I expect it will be of similar quality as the one I purchased in the states--if not better! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND AMERICA DENTAL in ESCAZU. I plan to come back to sight see, get a cleaning and have my amalgam fillings replaced with white ones!

ALL IS WELL AND I'M HEADING HOME

I met with Drs. Arce and Aguello today for my final check up before going home! He calmed my nerves when he reminded me that I am still swollen and it may take 3-6 months before I am able to tell if there truly is an issue or not. He believes everything will be fine but if for some reason it is not he will correct any issues when I return in 6 months. I am so glad I chose Dr. Arguello as my plastic surgeon! He truly is concerned about his patients and wants to make sure you are pleased with his work as he always strives for the best result for the individual. As I have a problem keeping my hands off of things (I have to touch absolutely everything) he contually reminds me no to touch my incisions for fear they will get infected . I know he'll be glad I'm returning to the states tomorrow as I am an impatient, Type A Nervous Nelly! I think I will give him a 6-month break from my unrelenting worrying and questions! lol I DO LOVE THAT MAN!!!

Home Sweet Home....

I arrived home last Friday, August 12 at 7 pm. and I am so happy to see my family, friends and furbabies! However, as I departed my airplane, I was immediately hit in the face with temperatures in the high 80s and extreme humidity! Sweat immediately pouring from every pore and dripping down my body! I wanted to hop right back on a flight to go back to beautiful and temperate Costa Rica! I can definitely see Costa Rica as my second home.
I apologize for not updating my post lately but I have been extremely busy since I've been home. I am finding that my face, eyelids and neck are swelling much more than before and I am trying to reduce most of the swelling before I post pictures--hopefully later today.
I have been careful with my salt intake but decided yesterday to eat only fresh fruits, vegetables and meats as much as possible! We'll see you if it works/helps! Fingers crossed!
Any other tips anyone else has would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

FEW NEW PICS--3 WEEKS POST-OP

I tried to take some new pics as I've hit my 3 week post-op date :) The pictures seem a little fuzzy but at least it gives you a good idea of my results! Remember, it is a work in progress for about 12 months but I'm ecstatic with my results now.

Some things I learned in my journey

Here are a few things I learned during my transformation journey:
If you get a blepharoplasty done, be sure that you DO NOT put the ice pack (frozen bag with water/gel) directly on your eyelids to soothe them or reduce swelling. You will end up burning your eyelids and it hurts VERY BAD! The best thing to use is cold chamomile teabags. I found it is best to ask for a bowl of ice and pour the cup of tea and tea bags in the ice. Then put the cold teabags on top of your eyelids. I suggest taking a box of 20 or so teabags with you as not everyone has them when you need them!

If you are getting facial work done, I found that there was no need to take pajamas with you to the clinic. When I arrived, they had me change into a hospital gown and the nurses put compression socks on me. It is best to take a button up shirt (you don't want to have to put clothing over your head/face) and either pants or a long skirt with you for after surgery unless you feel comfortable walking around in shorts with your full length compression socks :) Be sure you have a wide brimmed hat with a string to avoid the sun. A string on your hat is helpful for windy days. Be sure to take sunscreen with the highest SPF you can find.

If you are getting a tummy tuck and/or liposuction done, there is no need to take your many pairs of underwear as the compression garment they put on you after surgery, has a hole for easy access when you need to go to the bathroom. Again, I found that loose maxi dresses were my best friend as not only do you have to wear the compression garment (girdle) and compression socks but you also need to wear cotton under your garment for added compression and to avoid indentations or irritation from the garment. I took three times more clothes than I needed or wore. I did not wear pajamas at all while I was there. I found that as long as I had a robe to wear over my compression garments, I was comfortable and fine.

If you are having a breast lift or augmentation surgery, I would recommend buying extra surgical bras and taking them with you. You need to wear a clean bra each day in order to avoid infection. If you bring at least one additional bra, you can wear that one while washing the other.

As I think of any other words of wisdom, I will add them under this post.

Clearer pics

Just took some clearer head shots. I will post other pics once breast infection is totally gone. Please ignore the dark circles under my eyes as I was up until about 3 a.m. watching the Olympics!

TOTAL COST

A while back I had posted an estimated cost. I have totaled all of my surgery related expenses below:

Surgeries--Facelift, Neck lift, Blepharoplasty, Platy (neck banding repair), Eyebrow lift, Chemical peel, Fat transfer, Liposuction, Mini tummy tuck, Breast lift, Breast augmentation, and Juviderm injections.
Cost : $19,960

Verdeza--Post Surgical aftercare facility for 15 days. Included room, board (meals), transportation to and from the airport, to and from surgeries, and follow up appointments.
Cost: $2,250

UNIBE University Hospital/Clinic--2 night's stay (1 night per surgery).
Cost: $5,757

TOTAL COST: $27,967

TOTALLY WORTH IT!!!

Latest picture of face lift results

Latest picture of face lift results in the attached photo. Dr. Arguello is the absolute best plastic surgeon alive!!!
Costa Rica Plastic Surgeon

I contacted them just yesterday and they got back to me the very same day! So impressed with their responsiveness!!! My surgeries are finished and I feel FANTASTIC! I can't give enough praise to Drs. Arce and Arguello! I feel and look BETTER than I did 20 years ago and the work Dr. A did will only improve over the next year!!! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS TALENTED man--he definitely KNOWS HIS CRAFT!!!