I'm 22, no kids. I have Tricare. Would they cover a labiaplasty?

I've always had large labia and they're not only uncomfortable but SUPER hard to keep clean. I'm already prone to really bad UTIs (I'm talking peeing blood), but having large labia causes me to get them even more often. Exercising is very uncomfortable because of chaffing and sweat collecting in them. Wearing jeans hurts because it rubs them raw. I want the procedure done, I just don't have the money and I don't want to take out a loan. But I have to do something ):

Probably Not

Tricare did cover a labiaplasty case I did when I was first starting out doing them, but insurance generally does not cover them.Furthermore, the docs who are doing them under insurance aren't good enough to do them for cash, otherwise they would. That's just the sad state of medicine. NO one wants to get involved in insurance because they don't pay enough to cover costs. Sad but true.There are lots of financing options that can be considered. Imagine how expensive a revision would be and how emotionally troubling it would be to need one. You sound like a perfect candidate, and from your symptoms insurance SHOULD cover it. What I do is write a letter of medical need for all of my labiaplasty patients on request to send to their company. In rare cases the company pays about $1000 back to the patient to help defray the $4-5000 cost of the surgery. 

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing; based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for labia minora reduction surgery.  When the time is right, it will be important for you to select your plastic surgeon carefully;  it would be unusual for  health insurance to cover the procedure. You may find the attached link, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Labiaplasty and Insurance

It has been my practice's experience that Tricare does not cover any cosmetic vaginal surgery, to include a labiaplasty.  Please do your research and make sure you go to a physician based on their qualifications and not solely based on price.  

How to Pay for Labiaplasty

Insurance won't cover labiaplasty. They will pay for gynecology visits and nonsurgical treatments only. Your options for payment include a dedicated savings account at your bank, a layaway account with your surgeon, and borrowing money from third parties. Generally, credit unions offer the best rates.

Insurance usually does not cover labiaplasty. Seek help for your infections.

Not all your symptoms may be due to the length of your labia- Your UTI's should be worked up and  managed by your OBGYN with the assistance of a Urologist.  Your labiaplasty will not likely be covered by any insurance plan, since despite the fact that you have functional problems like chaffing and irritation, health insurance views labiaplasty as a cosmetic procedure.  Loan programs like Care Credit can make this affordable for you.

Steven Yarinsky, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

ITricare and Labiaplasty

Thank you for your question. Usually labiaplasty is not covered by insurance. You can talk to Tricare and tell them your symptoms . Let the physician evaluate you for  symptoms, but no guarantee. GoodLuck

Will Insurance cover Labiaplasty?

Hello "Princess..."

Although you very well may be an excellent candidatre for labial revision surgery (aka Labiaplasty"), neither Tricare nor any other public or private insurance plan covers aesthetic labiaplasty.  Some relatively untrained docs offer to perform labiaplasty "...under insurance," but I would beware of most of these, as from what I have seen frequently they simply "amputate" the labia, leaving you "wide open," and frequently are not savvy on how to properly "sculpt" the clitoral hood, so don't deal with it, leaving it "...hanging..."  Find someone who can show you at least 25 "before and after" photos of their own work, or can prove to you that they've taken a reputable female genital plastics course...

Click on the link below for a video discussing "insurance..."

Very best,

Michael P Goodman

Labiaplasty

Most insurance do not cover Labiaplasty. Odds are Tricare will not cover this as well. If the Labiaplasty was to be do for some medical reason you maybe able to call Tricare or have your doctor contact them. Sometimes if you are persistent you can get it covered for a medical indication. You will need to make a compelling case but this is more an exception rather than the norm. 

John Baten, MD
Jackson OB/GYN