Basic life support training after breast enlargement for nursing student. What could go wrong if I was to do compressions?

I am a student nurse and had a breast enlargement a couple of days ago ( silicone over the muscle implants). I am supposed to have basic life support training in a couple of weeks which would include participating in chest compressions. Is it best to reschedule my training and avoid doing chest compressions for a few weeks? Thank you in advance for any replies

Exertion after BA

Hello, I would recommend discussing any physical activity with your surgeon.  I personally would be concerned about one of my patients doing chest compressions only a few weeks after surgery since this involves vigorous use of the chest muscles. 

Breast augmentation and cps course

I do not want my patients to perform vigorous activity for about 6-8 weeks to minimize the risk of a hematoma.  Best to discuss with your surgeon.

No worries!

If it's really been a couple of weeks since your surgery, you have nothing to worry about. Go learn how to save a life!

Good luck in the course.

Dr. Robert Shenker MD FRCSC 

Activity after breast augmentation

You state that the class is in a few weeks. This is something to discuss with your surgeon. Call the nurse on Monday, she will be able to get your question answered so that you can get back with your teacher if you need to reschedule.

Tracy E. McCall, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your excellent question.  Despite placement of your implants above the muscle I would reschedule training for several weeks after your surgery to avoid any undue strain and stress to the implant and your breast skin that may cause swelling, pain, and worse case implant malposition.  Hope this helps.

Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to returning to specific activities. He/she will know exactly what was done, how you are progressing, and exactly what type of activities you are returning to. Generally speaking, it will be important for you to return to activities in a very gradual/cautious fashion. "Listen to your body" as you do so.

Having said that, if you are able to postpone the training you will likely be better off.  Strenuous activity involving the pectorals major muscle could possibly lead to issues such as implant displacement…

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Compressions following Surgery

I would postpone your training until you are further along in the healing process as CPR can be quite intensive. Be sure to check with your surgeon to see their recommendations.

Chest compressions

Thanks for your question.  If you're implants were below the muscle, I would tell you to postpone for sure.  Since they are above the muscle, I think you should discuss the issue with your surgeon and decide together whether it is a good idea or not.  Good luck!

Jeffrey Umansky, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Subglandular implants

Subglandular implants are below the gland but not the muscle. But you are in the early post operative period and major physical activity is often restricted. Check with your board certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck, MMT

Exercise after breast Augmentation

Congratulations on your surgery and thank you for your question. You have invested your time and money for your augmentation and should not jeopardize the outcome. Two weeks after maybe yoo soon to begin vigorous chest compressions. Please check with your surgeon. I wish you well.