Full or extra full profile? (Photo)

I was originally going to go with 400ccs but after making the sizers I may go up to a 420 because I felt like the 417 sizers I made were smallish. I like the size of the 417 sizers as far as width but I want more projection....so I'm thinking stay with the 417 and do a extra full projection? Or should I go up to 420 and do a full projection? I've posted my current pictures along with the sizers in and some pictures of what I hope my results turn out like.

What Size and Profile Implant Should I Use?

Implant sizing is part art and part science. Using sizers in a bra is very helpful, especially for physically seeing the volume that an implant will provide, but they are far from ideal. Sizers have significant limitations in how accurately they will demonstrate breast shape and projection, primarily because of the role the bra itself plays in shaping of the breast. I have found 3D simulation to be an indispensable part of my breast consultation process in helping patients literally see the size of different implants on a photo of their own chest. I do this before sizing and together have found much better patient satisfaction with implant choices.

In breast augmentation without a lift, the implant size wil be the most significant factor in your final shape, much more-so than the implant shape or projection. Even tear-drop shaped silicone implants that are firmer and fuller at the bottom of the breast than the top often have less impact on the final breast shape than you might expect.

The 417cc extra full profile implant is narrower and taller than the essentially equivalent-size 420cc full profile implant. I generally don’t follow this path of choosing between profiles to select an implant, instead I identify an implant width that I feel is optimal for you and then work with you to choose the volume. While I understand that a patient may desire more projection, in practice this is not the end effect of a higher profile implant if the implant is not wide enough to fit the breast well (at the same time, we do not want the implant too wide). 

From your pictures and your "ideal" goal, I think you will be very happy with implants and stand to get a great result. I'd suggest asking your surgeon about the optimal fit of the implant for your breast.

Hope this helps,

Nick Slenkovich, MD FACS

Implant Size Selection

In recommending implant size, I consider my patients' anatomy (chest height, weight, shape, existing breast tissue) as well as their desired look. Please share your "wish" photos with your plastic surgeon. After examining your body and understanding your goal, your plastic surgeon will make a recommendation.
Implants come in different type (saline, silicone), shape (anatomic, round), volume, and profile. Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes,

Dr. Kim

Implant size

Choosing the right size implant depends on any number of factors all of which require an in person exam. Assuming that you've clearly communicated your desired outcome to your surgeon, I would advise you to trust his or her recommendation. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Implant volume/projection

Thank you for the question and photos. First, I'd like to point out that the 1st and second wish pic you've posted appear to have a significant difference in size. It does appear that you prefer the "round", full look.

The difference of a few cc's or even 20-30 ccs is so small that I don't recommend you worry too much about it. Your pictures with sizers in appear to be smaller than some of your wish pics so if your Plastic Surgeon can recommend a couple larger sizes for you to try on, it may be a good idea to do that.

Be sure to communicate your aesthetic goals to your Plastic Surgeon.

All the best  

417 sizers

Your photos with the sizers in place are not nearly as large-breasted as the models you show, so you might want to resize.  Be sure to discuss with your own surgeon about how this applies to you, and whether they have any special concerns in your case.

Extra high profile

Many patients in Los Angeles favor the fake look you are trying to achieve. Use the SRX extra high profile silicone implant. Best of luck 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Full or extra full profile?

Dear xs zombie,
The photos of your dream breasts are all 3 actually quite different from each other when it comes to the base width of the implants. Your own photos show a wider cleavage and laterally placed nipples. If you can push your breasts together and make nice cleavage, a bra will help to get the look of your third (black bathing suit photo). If there is still a space between your breasts when push them together, be careful about going with too small of a base diameter. I would not use projection as a deciding factor on picking your implants. Too narrow (or too wide for others) of a base width is best avoided. The first girl (grey shirt) has a more narrow implant, the naked model has the wider base width. I personally find too narrow of a base width for the patient's ideal less attractive and artificial looking.
Re-evaluate your photos and try to figure out what exactly you like about each one of them. Ever noticed how we like the haircut on the prettiest model? If you can do 3 D imaging (like Vectra) using your own breasts that would be very helpful as well.
Love your screen name BTW, big Walking Dead fan.
Good luck,

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Full or extra full profile

Given that you seem to like a kind of round, 'fake' look, may vote goes to the extra full profile. You may also want to consider implants above the muscle to accentuate that look, and get something similar to the first wish pic that you posted.

Ciro Adamo, PhD, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Full or extra full profile?

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Full or extra full profile?

Thank you for the question. Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery.  Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Given that your surgery is coming up soon, I would suggest that you spend additional time communicating your goals/concerns directly with your plastic surgeon, preferably prior to the date of surgery.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” or "extra full projection" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.