How much CC does it take for an actual noticeable difference? (For implant sizes)

I know that 25 cc is hardly a noticeable difference. Example: 475 cc HP and 450cc HP. So how much cc does it take to become noticeable? 50 cc? Or is that still hardly noticeable? How about 75cc?

How much CC does it take for an actual noticeable difference?

Greetings 

Thank you for your question, It is best to visit a board-certified plastic surgeon and have a full evaluation and one on one consultation.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Choosing implants

Thank you for the question and photos. The choosing of implants is a very crucial and is one that should be done through an in-person exam. Various aspects could affect the choice of implants like breast tissue, body measurements, desired end result and the like.  It is always best to visit a board-certified plastic surgeon and have a full evaluation for your concern. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Depends

Honestly, it is going to depend on your body type/frame and the size of the implant. However, in general, most patients notice a difference at 50cc. Hope this helps -- Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

It depends on how big you are and how big the implant is

If you are small, then you may be able to see the difference between a 200 and a 250cc implant.  Would you be able to see 500 to 550cc? -- probably not.  If I have someone who is not happy with the size of their implant, I advise that they need to change the size by 100 to 150cc to appreciate a real diffrence.

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Implant volumes

Thank you for your question. This will have a different answer for everyone as it is somewhat subjective. Generally, 25ccs is a fairly small amount. 15cc is a tablespoon. Depending on the base width that the volume is spread out over it could be difficult to detect.

My patients find it helpful to try on the implant sizers in a form fitting t-shirt in order to get a feel for them and see what the different volumes look like on their body.

All the best

Implant size differences

Its great to remember 30cc's is just 2 tablespoons. We have studied this and it takes at least 2 implant sizes or about 50ccs before patients can see a consistent difference in size. Plastic surgeons a bit less. The challenge is that most patients are different volumes from side to side..."Breasts are sisters not twins", right? So sometimes we are just getting back to equal.

You need to keep in mind though that 100cc's is only 1/2 of a bra cup.

I base the range of implants I offer patients mainly on the width of their breast and stretch or elasticity and allow them to choose within that range.

You just have to get in the right range...if you want to be as full as possible, I use the upper range implant...if more modest, lower. For size change operations I usually go at least 100-150cc's smaller or larger otherwise its hard to see much of a visible difference.

Hope this helps!

DR B

Bradley Bengtson, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Depends

Thank you for your question.  In short, it really depends on the person.  For example, a woman with very little breast tissue will have more noticable differences than someone who already has a significant amount of breast tissue.  A good way to determine differences in sizes for you would be to "try on" the implants at a board certified plastic surgeon's office.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

How many cc to see a change

Think of changes like thinking of pizza diameter. How much difference between a 14 inch and 16 inch pizza. The extra amount of pizza goes around it (and the pizza is really closer to two dimensions)
The amount of change goes around the implant in three dimensions. In Mentor implants the 495 cc high profile  implant projects 6.5 cm, and the 440 cc high profile projects 6.2 cm which is just 3 mm difference, something very hard to discern, the difference is the width which is 0.5 cm wider which is determined by measuring the chest.
The difference between a 13 cm wide implant in a MMplus moderate plus Mentor  420 is 5.5 cm projection and the High projection in 13 cm of width is 6.5 cm or 1.0 cm difference

So the biggest difference is in projection, if the skin can accomodate. The other differences are in width which should be measured accurately and the size wont be noticeable.

A plastic surgeon with a lot of experience should measure you and help you pick the size well. I would not worry about below 75 cc. I would not change implants for much less than 150 cc. Another rule of thumb is 200 cc is about one cup size if that helps.

Implant Size

This is a good question.Each increase in implant size produces a change in the final result.The amount of change is influenced by the size of the implant and the shape of the implant.Inaddition the patients anatomy will influence the result and the amount of change observed. Computer imaging is useful in cases like this so you can visualize the change that occurs ith each increnmental increase in implant size.

Volume differences

My answer would change depending in what your question pertains to. If you are wanting to exchange implants to larger implants I would start at 75cc and up. If you are deciding implant size your first time then roughly 50cc would be a noticeable difference. Hope this helps

Josh Olson MD