I had Mohs surgery 2+ years ago on my upper lip. What can I do to fix and enhance my mouth and lips? (Photo)

I had Moh's surgery on upper lip a few years ago and the surgeon that performed the surgery did a good job. However, a lot of upper lip tissue was removed, and now I'm left with a asymmetrical upper lip. You can see it both with a closed mouth as well as when I smile. What procedures can I look into to fixing my mouth by getting back symmetry and plumping up my lips so they're sexy? I'm very self conscious about my mouth/smile because of deformity. Pictures attached.

Doctor Answers 2

Upper Lip Scar following Mohs Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
 It appears to me that the lip to your right side of the scar is thicker than the skin to the left of the scar. There is also a slight "step off" where the 2 sides meet.
The Mohs surgeon was forced to attach 2 sides of unequal bulk together. He/she did a good job. The slight irregularity could be improved with minor surgery under local anesthesia.
CO2 laser could significantly camouflage the vertical scar. Then, a variety of fillers or a Permalip Implant could give you the fullness you want.

Lip volume

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
In general, lip volume can be nicely improved with a hyaluronic acid filler like Juvederm or Restylane; these are temporary solutions, but typically have predictable results.  More permanent options include medical grade silicone injections, fat grafting, and lip implants; these typically require lots of experience, and are less frequently done.  Your photos also suggest some raised and possibly firm scar tissue on the "less favorable" side of the lip.  Steroid injections can go a long way towards softening and flattening this, if present.  I think you would do well to consult with a dermatologist or plastic surgeon who performs lots of cosmetic injections, and discuss your options with him/ her.  Good luck!

Inessa Fishman, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.