I have a gummy smile. How long do I need to notice any change?

I have a gummy smile, yesterday I took the first Botox injections in my upper lips, after 12 hours I did not notice any change how long do I need to notice any change?

BOTOX Results Take a Few Days

As effective as BOTOX is for a number of conditions, including a gummy smile, it does take a bit of time for the results to appear. In most cases, my patients start seeing changes about 5 days after their treatment. If you haven't noticed any results more than 7 to 10 after your treatment, get in touch with your injector. Thanks for your question!

San Diego Dermatologist

Ditto

Ditto to what the other surgeons have said.  Give Botox at least 2-3 days for any effect, and up to a week for a strong noticeable effect.  The dose that I typically give for a gummy smile is very small because I don't want to completely paralyze the lip elevator muscles, I just want to weaken them.  Because of this, sometimes the dose may not be enough and a touch up might need to be done a week or two after the initial injection.  I would wait a week and if you still have no difference, contact your surgeon.  

hope this helps, and good luck

Onset of Botox

It will likely take 5 to 7 days before your Botox starts working, don't pass any judgment on its final effect until at least 14 days. 

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD, FACMS
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and action

Botox will take at least 4 days to start showing it's effect after injection. It could take 10 days for it to be working fully. You are a little anxious to see the results. They will come.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Gummy smile

Botox works for treatment of the gummy smile by weakening the muscles of the upper lip and therefore making it a little longer to come down over the teeth a little and this should occur within 5 days

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

10 days for full effect of botox

Hi. 
I tell all my patients it takes 10 days to get the full effect of botox. If you need more, wait until after the 10th day for a touch up. 

Renee Snyder, MD
Austin Dermatologist

Gummy Smile and Botox

Thanks for your question. Botox takes between 4-7 days to see the full effect so what you are experiencing is normal. If you don't see any change by 10 days, you can contact your injector and get a few extra units. Good luck

Satyen Undavia, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Time to see Results

Botox takes 7 to 14 days to see the full effect.  Your physician should have explained that the results are not immediate. Keep us posted on your results.  Best, Dr.  Green

Botox for gummy smile

Hi Naser78
Thank you for your question.  Botox usually takes effect between 5-7 days.  Give it time to settle in.  Hope this helps.  Best regards

How Long Does It Take Botox To Fix a Gummy Smile?

Botox is an effective treatment for fixing a gummy smile. However, like all other Botox treatments, the effect of therapy is not immediate, nor would it be seen 1 day post-op. Change after Botox typically takes 1-2 weeks to set in.

Adam J. Mamelak, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon