I have a gummy smile. How long do I need to notice any change?

I have a gummy smile, yesterday I took the first Botox injections in my upper lips, after 12 hours I did not notice any change how long do I need to notice any change?

BOTOX Results Take a Few Days

As effective as BOTOX is for a number of conditions, including a gummy smile, it does take a bit of time for the results to appear. In most cases, my patients start seeing changes about 5 days after their treatment. If you haven't noticed any results more than 7 to 10 after your treatment, get in touch with your injector. Thanks for your question!

San Diego Dermatologist

Botox and Time to see Results

Botox takes 7 to 14 days to see the full effect.  Your physician should have explained that the results are not immediate. Keep us posted on your results.  Best, Dr.  Green

Botox for gummy smile

Hi Naser78
Thank you for your question.  Botox usually takes effect between 5-7 days.  Give it time to settle in.  Hope this helps.  Best regards

How Long Does It Take Botox To Fix a Gummy Smile?

Botox is an effective treatment for fixing a gummy smile. However, like all other Botox treatments, the effect of therapy is not immediate, nor would it be seen 1 day post-op. Change after Botox typically takes 1-2 weeks to set in.

Adam J. Mamelak, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Onset for Botox for Gummy Smile

Botox does not work immediately. It will take 3-5 days for it to start working and it will have max effect 7 days after injection.  It is normal that you do not appreciate a change at this time. 

I hope this helps.

Gummy smile

Botox normally takes 2-3 days to begin to work and 2-3 weeks to work fully.  However, small areas like the gummy smile tend to show results more quickly and certainly by a week.  It is an expert area to be treated so important to follow up with an expert if there are any concerns.  Equally important is to normally wait at least 2 weeks before deciding whether more Botox is necessary or not - i.e. best not to over treat.

Mark Lupin, MD
Victoria Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox | Gummy Smile

Thank you for your question in regards to botox and your gummy smile. Botox can take up to 7-10 days for full correction. After this point is i best to have a follow up appointment with the provider who performed your botox injections to assess if more botox is needed. To be sure, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Ditto

Ditto to what the other surgeons have said.  Give Botox at least 2-3 days for any effect, and up to a week for a strong noticeable effect.  The dose that I typically give for a gummy smile is very small because I don't want to completely paralyze the lip elevator muscles, I just want to weaken them.  Because of this, sometimes the dose may not be enough and a touch up might need to be done a week or two after the initial injection.  I would wait a week and if you still have no difference, contact your surgeon.  

hope this helps, and good luck

Onset of Botox

It will likely take 5 to 7 days before your Botox starts working, don't pass any judgment on its final effect until at least 14 days. 

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD, FACMS
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

Time

Botox usually starts working in a untreated area in 1-3 days, and peaks around 5-10 days. Some people react fairly quickly, and some do take several days before they notice a difference. Just be patient.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon