Is it normal to be cold after surgery?

I had a bilateral tissue and nipple sparing mastectomy with immediate reconstruction on June 8th. At that time they placed my silicone implants. I have been cold ever since. My first thought was that I was running a fever, so I have been monitoring my temperature ever since surgery. My temp has stayed right around 97. Yesterday was the first day I actually go hot and it was 94! Is this normal after having surgery?

Feeling cold after implant-based breast reconstruction

It's not uncommon to feel cold after implant-based breast reconstruction.  The implants can act as a heat sink, and on the chest this can be particularly noticeable.  The anatomic "gummy bear" implants may cause this phenomenon more than the round silicone type.  Speak with your surgeon about what you're experiencing.

Keith M. Blechman, MD
New York, NY