What is the difference between PRP treatment and PRP with HT ? I read that HT was used to prevent shock loss . Thank You

Difference between PRP and PRP with HT?

PRP as a stand alone treatment is used to slow or stop hairloss and occasionally re-grow the hair in these areas of miniaturization. I have been using these treatments for the last 4-5 years and have seen it help many patients with AGA both male and female pattern. I have also seen it re-grow the hair in a patient with a patch of hairless secondary to Alopecia Areata. While there are no conclusive studies available there is a lot of anecdotal evidence for the use of PRP. PRP with HT is performing a PRP treatment at the time of a hair transplant. When used in conjunction with a HT, PRP can be used to store the harvested grafts,treat the thinning areas, and used in the donor area to increase healing and some have reported re-growth of some harvested areas.

Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

PRP and PRP with Hair Transplants - NYC

To date there have been no controlled studies of PRP with hair transplants.  Many hair loss patients are using PRP to try to grow or maintain hair with andogenetic alopecia and have had good results.  Best, Dr. Green

Hair loss -- PRP, Progesterone, Viviscal, Rogaine, Spironolactone/Finesteride

I find that PRP alone works well but adding progesterone works even better.  There is no evidence that stem cells or additives help in anyway but it shouldn't propose any harm.  Best, Dr. Emer.

PRP plus HT...Englewood Cliffs NJ

In my opinion. There is no chemical or cellular additive to PRP that makes it more effective. This includes  Acell, Extracellulular matrix, calcium or any other additive. Furthermore, there are no studies to document that stem cells added to PRP are effective. If you're talking about shock loss associated with hair transplant, good technique and the used of finasteride are the standard of care. As far as shock loss from PRP injections alone, I have not seen it, although it has been reported. My personal opinion is that the shock loss is related to the antigenic proteins when PRP is done with additional elements. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon