When Can Surgical Tape Be Removed After Tummy Tuck?

Surgical tape after tummy tuck

The duration for surgical tape will vary depending on 1) the type of surgical tapes utilized, 2) your healing progress, and 3) your surgeon's preference.  The "paper" surgical tapes can stay on until they fall off on their own or your surgeon may remove them after 1-2 weeks.  The "glue" surgical tapes (such as Preneo tapes) are usually removed after 2 weeks.  You should follow your plastic surgeon's recommendation.  He/she will remove the tapes when they are ready.

Tummy tuck and surgical tape

I have my patients leave the surgical tape in place until it falls off on its own. Surgical tape helps to keep the edges of the incision approximated while it heals. This means that the edges of the incision will stay closely together to prevent a widened, unfavorable appearing scar. If three weeks goes by and the tape is still intact, it is fine to manually remove it at that point.

Hope this helps.

R. Michael Koch, MD
Tarrytown Plastic Surgeon

Healing after a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty

healing after a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty

there is not a single answer.  I tape for 4-6 weeks then start biocorneum or scar guard.

some patients benefit from silicone strips.   i prefer paper tape