When can I return to yoga after a breast augmentation placed under the muscle?

I am quite advanced in my yoga practice (headstands, arm balances, handstands, etc) and I am itching to get back into it. I am one week post op now, I'm just wondering when I will be able to go back to doing my regular yoga routine?

Yoga and breast augmentation

Usually I allow patients to go back to light aerobics at 3-4 weeks and heavy lifting by 6-8 weeks. Yoga can be quite vigorous so you may need to wait 6 weeks for Downward dog, chaturanga, etc.. Best to ask your surgeon. Namaste!

Return go Yoga after Breast augmentation

I usually recommend waiting for 6 weeks before performing upper body exercises. In your case of advanced Yoga , you may have to wait a little longer. Having said this, you should check with your surgeon.

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Resuming Yoga after Breast Reduction

Dear Newfiegirl21,

It would be best to check with your surgeon about their particular restrictions. In our practice we advise our patients to wait 6 weeks until resuming all activity, especially exercises that target the chest (such as some poses in yoga). Once you return to full activity, listen to your body. If you have discomfort doing a particular pose then I would hold off for a few more weeks before resuming it. Good luck!

Yoga after augmenation

I have my patients wait at least 4 weeks before doing upper body activity of this type after augmentation. The risk is displacement of the implants laterally in the long time frame and in the short term the risk is developing a hematoma that could need surgical intervention. Of course you should speak to your surgeon as they know you best. It is difficult to wait when you are used to being active but this short amount of time away from some activities should help you have a wonderful result for many years to come. Best wishes on your recovery.

Yoga After Breast Aug

Thank you for your inquiry on breast augmentation and exercise after surgery.

Every surgeon does things differently.  I advise you to speak with your surgeon about this and follow what him/her suggests.
  • Usually I tell my patients they can take a brisk walk two weeks after surgery.
  • I also advise them to wait about six weeks before going back to vigorous exercise, such as yoga.
Give your body some time to heal, it will thank you in the long run.  Please try to be patient.

Best Wishes.

6 weeks

Yoga can be quite vigorous, so you may need to wait 6 weeks after surgery. However, you should check with your surgeon.

Return to Yoga

Each surgeon has his or her guidelines for postoperative care. Typically, light exercise is started after 2 to 3 weeks. With more strenuous activity phased in as you heal. Consult with your surgeon as he or she knows the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Yoga after Augmentation

Typically after breast augmentation I recommend the patient wait to be six weeks before they get back to the vigorous or strenuous physical activity. This can vary from patient to patient based on the operative experience (difficult vs easy). I would ask your plastic surgeon his/her opinions and recommendations regarding the matter

Yoga after breast augmentation

Generally, one should wait at least 6 weeks after breast augmentation surgery to resume yoga, particularly if the implants are under the muscle.there are many poses that require you to use your chest muscles for balance and/or strength exercises. In addition, stretching could place undue tension on the skin closure and cause it to reopen.
Check with your plastic surgeon. Remember to take the time to heal sufficiently...you have the rest of your life to enjoy your new look.

Gustavo E. Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Getting back to Yoga the routine after Breast Augmentation Under The Muscle

It seems to me that you do a lot with your arms and breast in your Yoga sessions.

I would recommend you to wait at least 2 month to get your regular routine. Remember implants need to do their folding that depends on the muscle relaxation.

Adolfo Sesto, MD