When can I drive again after Mommy Makeover?

So I'm 17 days PO, supposed to drive tomorrow for the first time and just don't feel ready. I'm off Percocet about a wk or so...so that's not an issue. I'm just still so very uncomfortable I don't see myself behind the wheel. I'm supposed to go for my second lymphatic massage. Still not standing straight either. Should I cancel? I have no one to help drive me.

Driving after a mommy makeover

After a Mommy Makeover, patients can typically return to their normal activities, including driving, within 10-14 days. However, the healing process will vary from individual to individual. It is best to allow your body to adjust to the surgical changes on its own time. If you are not feeling up to driving, you should listen to your body and avoid taking any potential risks. If you need to go someplace, but cannot drive yourself, try to arrange for an alternate mode transportation. Only drive if you feel physically comfortable and mentally ready.

If you're not ready, don't drive

If you don't feel comfortable driving at this time, please don't. Even though at this time it is possible to drive, don't risk it if you don't feel up to the task. Taking a taxi may be a better option if you don't have anyone to drive you.

When can I drive again after mommy makeover?

Thank you for the question! Certainly, discuss this with your plastic surgeon, as answers will vary among surgeons.  I typically say that whenever you are not taking narcotic pain medications and when you feel like you are strong enough to turn the steering wheel suddenly if needed, then you may resume driving. If you meet those requirements, take short trips around your block with somebody and see how you do.  You should be progressing more and would encourage you to continue to mobilize. Begin weaning yourself from pain medications as well. Your postoperative appointments are necessary and if you can't drive, request assistance from a friend or family member or a service.  Obviously, if you are not ready to drive yet, it is recommended not to at this time. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

You can drive after mommy makeover when it can be done safely.

The active driving doesn't really jeopardize the results of the operation. However, safety behind the wheel can be jeopardized by inability to perform the tasks of a safe driver. This also includes the use of narcotics to control pain. In my experience most patients can drive safely again in 7 to 10 days.

Driving after mommy makeover

If you are 17 days after surgery and are not taking narcotic pain medication, you should be safe to drive. Most patients are not uncomfortable with driving at this point, so it could be that something is not quite right. I would encourage you to try your best to make your next follow up appointment, even if it means calling a cab. 

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Driving after surgery

Typically as soon as you're not taking any pain medication and it's at least 1 week post surgery as long as you're careful and you feel comfortable, in my office you're okay to drive. If you don't feel comfortable just yet, wait until you are.

Thank you for your question! 

When can I drive after a mommy makeover?

Usually, most patients can drive as soon as they are off of the pain medications. It is common for patients to drive themselves to their 2 week post op visit in my practice.  I would address your concerns with your plastic surgeon as he/she can advise you best. 

If you are not feeling ready don't force yourself. However at 17 days post op you should be standing up straight for the last 10 days. If you are not you are being overcautious and need to discuss with your surgeon if there is any reason why you aren't.  The lymphatic massage although it may be beneficial it is by no means the norm so if you don't feel comfortable driving just skip it. I would be more concerned with you not standing up straight than any lymphatic massage.

William P. Aiello, M.D.  Newport Beach and Los Alamitos CA

William Aiello, MD

Driving

If you do not feel comfortable driving right now, then you should not.  Most of my mommy makeover patients are comfortable to drive 10-14 days after their surgery.   Since I'm not familiar with the exact procedures you had, it is best to ask your question to your plastic surgeon.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Driving after a Mommy Makeover

In most cases, patient can drive within 2 - 3 weeks following a mommy makeover.  However, I would caution you to practice operating all of the controls on your car before getting out on the road.  If you are unable to operate the car as you normally do, or are too groggy because of pain medications, DO NOT DRIVE.  Get a friend or cab to drive you or cancel your appointment.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon