What's the Best Skin Rejuvenation Treatment?

My skin is lets say, 'mature' ;) i'd like skin care experts to suggest best ways to rejuvenate and repair from years of ignoring skin maintenance.

Combinations are the key to skin rejuvenation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The best results for skin rejuvenation are achieved when all causes of aging are addressed.

• You simply cannot talk about rejuvenation if you are tanning and smoking.
  • Proper diet is essential.
  • Sun damage must be corrected with topical retinoids and laser. I have found Pearl and Fraxel to be the best.
  • Dynamic wrinkles should be addressed with Botox, and the sooner you start, the better. The benefits of Botox become cumulative and once the skin is too loose, Botox does not give as great of a result.
  • I use a combination of fillers such as Juvederm, Restylane and Perlane, Radiesse, and Sculptra to achieve natural fullness and more youthful contours. We lose volume in our face with age, so it must be restored. If you do a face lift without volume correction, you will just look tighter, not younger.

I suggest a physician board-certified in an aesthetic field like dermatology or plastic surgery to benefit from the extensive training these specialties must go through in order for you to get the best result. No one solution is right for everyone and all treatments should be individualized.

New Orleans Dermatologist

The best skin rejuvenation treatment....

The best treatment for skin rejuvenation varies depending upon an individual's skin type, age, ethnicity, sun exposure, and overall health.  I am a major proponent of a healthy lifestyle:  diet high in fruits, vegetables, nuts, legumes and fish, 8-10 hours of sleep, limiting alcohol intake other than the occasional glass of red wine, and regular excersize.  Next step for all skin types is sun protection including daily sunscreen, sun hats and sunglasses....and avoiding sunburns! 

Moving on to reversing signs of damage, I would recommend first and foremost using a daily topical vitamin A product such as tretinoin  (by prescription) or retinol (over the counter).  If these cannot be tolerated, then anti-oxidant topical creams such as vitamin C, E, co-enzyme Q, coffeeberry, or green tree extracts can be used.  Regular exfoliation with topical AHA/BHAproducts (glycolic acids, fruit acids, salicylic acids) either  as leave on products or peels are extremely helpful to use at least 1-2 times weekly.  Maintaining skin hydration using topical moisturizing creams is also beneficial.  Older, delicate and drier skin may require thicker moisturizers and younger, acne prone skin may require oil free moisturizers or serums.

It is never too late to start a skin care regimen.  After years of neglect, it may be helpful to first undergo a series of medical grade peels, supplemented with photofacials as necessary. 

Deep folds and dynamic wrinkles and fine wrinkles are best treated by combinations of fillers, botox and resurfacing laser procedures. 

Radha Mikkilineni, MD
Washington DC Dermatologist

Rejuvenating skin

There is really no way to answer this question for everyone. A skin rejuvenation program should be designed for the individual patient with several considerations in mind:

• Degree of desired result
  • Amount of accepted downtime
  • Financial budget

In addition, there are really two phases of skin rejuvenation:

• The initial step (rejuvenation), where healthy skin is restored.
  • A maintanence phase, where this healthy appearance is maintained.

The best way to transform dull skin is to undergo a...

The best way to transform dull skin is to undergo a fairly aggressive skin resurfacing procedure, such as a chemical peel, photo rejuvenation, or a high-percent glycolic acid peel.

Henri P. Gaboriau, MD, FACS
Massena Facial Plastic Surgeon

Skin Rejuvenation treatments for "Mature" Skin

Your question is a common one that most patients ask when they know they would like to do something to enhance the beauty and health of their skin but do not know where to start. There is a wide range of technology available in the cosmetic field and it could get confusing. It is best to start with goals. Typically, a mature skin requires treatments that address irregular pigmentation, some redness and fine lines. Also, there may be an uneven or dull skin tone as our skin cells do not renew as quickly as when we were younger. Your physician will choose the best approach depending on your goals and should educate you about the sun and it's effects on skin and how to prevent your skin aging as much as possible. Intense Pulsed Light or the more advanced version Broad Band Light are the most popular skin rejuvenation treatments as they address the most common signs of aging with no downtime.  Other treatments that work well are laser resurfacing procedures that address deeper wrinkles or sun damage. Really the best advice I can give you is to seek out the physician that you would like to take care of you. One who has a wide range of laser systems and rejuvenation treatments to be able to best address your concerns and provide the results you expect. 

Manish Khanna, MD, FRCP(C)
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon

Skin Rejuvenation

There is not a simple answer to this question.  A skin rejuvenation plan/treatment depends on the patient and the severity of damage to the skin.  Our treatment plans are not a "one-size fits all," but rather a customized plan based on your individual needs.  We do believe that to correct damage and maintain results a combination of procedures and at-home skin care will yield the best results.  As far as skin care I would always recommend sunscreen to prevent the skin damage from worsening.  A Retinol or Retin-A to improve the texture of the skin and a Vitamin C to improve the tone. These are some staple products that should be in your skin care regimen.  I suggest setting up a consultation to create a plan that best suits your needs.  

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

I do not use either microdermabrasion or chemical peels....

I do not use either microdermabrasion or chemical peels. Plasma Skin Regeneration technology is infinitely more controllable, and can effect improvements in skin laxity, skin texture (including open pores), fine wrinkling, and skin pigmentation in a single treatment.

Improvement after a single treatment with the new Portrait device (already FDA approved in the US) can continue over the course of a full year.

David Gault, MD, FRCS
London Plastic Surgeon

Skin Rejuvenation Treatments

There is no single best skin rejuvenation treatment. The best thing to do is to schedule a consultation with your plastic surgeon or medical aesthetician so they can individually examine your skin and recommend a customized plan.  Some offices use the Visia Skin Analysis which can specifically determine the amount of pigmentation, broken capillaries, and wrinkles that a patient may have. At that point a customized treatment plan can be devised based on the patient’s results. Treatment options may include photo facials, fractionated lasers, non-ablative lasers, chemical peels, HydraFacialMd, and Rejuvapen. 

Jill Hazen, DO
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Skin rejuvenation for mature skin

The answer is simple. As you age, there are multiple problems that result in facial aging.

As a result , you have to treat  all the various problems  to get the best results. In this industry 1+1+1=10. In other words , if you treat the colour , the lack of volume , the laxity, the dynamic wrinkles each with the most appropriate treatment for your skin you will have global rejuvenation. 

Combination approach is the best- fillers for volume, IPL for colour,skin tightening technologies for laxity, fractional lasers for texture,PRP  micro needling for surface, a decent skin care regime and a healthy lifestyle.

Treating mature skin is no different than taking care of the maturing body. It also requires a combination approach-diet , exercise , moderate sun and alcohol , no cigarettes,  hormone replacement if indicated and sleep.

If you think your skin in the same way, you will better understand the different tools we have  to help the different problems that arise when we mature!

Cynthia Stolovitz, MD
Montreal Physician

The Best Skin Rejuvenation Treatment

Every individual has different skin and different goals for how they want to look.Skin rejuvenation and resurfacing can be achieved in a number of ways, ranging from laser, light and other energy-based treatments to chemical peels and other non-ablative methods. The best way to transform dull skin is to undergo a fairly aggressive skin resurfacing procedure, such as a chemical peel. First Fraxel laser would help minimize fine lines and wrinkles as well as pore size. Chemical peels can smooth and tighten the skin, while dermal fillers can restore lost volume for deep lines and wrinkles.

Hardik Soni, MD (not currently practicing)
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician