Juvederm Ultra vs. Ultra Plus

What is Juvederm Ultra used for? How is this different from other types of Juvederm, like Ultra Plus - do they treat different things?

Juvederm Ultra vs Ultra Plus

The difference in Juvederm Ultra and Ultra plus is mostly consistency.  Juvederm ultra is thin and less viscous, thus appropriate for injection intradermally to address fine wrinkles and scars.  In my practice I rarely use Ultra and much prefer Ultra plus for many reasons.  For volume fill of the lips and reshaping the face, which is most of what I do with Juvederm, Ultra plus provides more dramatic results and lasts much longer.  These products get very expensive and I feel that out of all the HA products that I have used Juvederm Ultra Plus gives the most bang for the buck for my patients.  I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Juvederm Ultra, Juvederm Ultraplus

Ultra Beauty,

Thanks for the question. Juvederm Ultra is a smooth consistency gel made of hyaluronic acid, a naturally occuring polysaccharide component of all connective tissue, that helps add volume and hydration. It is a uniform structure throughout all species. Adverse reactions are exceedingly rare. Cross-linking is the differentiating factor between Juvederm Ultra and Ultra Plus, at 6 % and 8 % respectively. Both products are FDA approved for management of nasolabial folds, although their off-label use include areas such as lips and periorbita, among others. In our hands, this is an exceptional product with negligible side-effects. The large propensity of patients tend to be quite satisfied with the results.

Hope this helps.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Depends

Thanks for the question

The easiest way to describe the difference is that Ultra Plus is "thicker" that Ultra.  It will hold its shape better and provide more fill volume than Ultra.  I tend to use Ultra for the lips where I don't want a very thick, full look.  I would use Plus in the nasolabial folds, cheeks, tear troughs and maybe marionette lines.  

Everyone is a little different though, and some may use a combination of the two in the same area.  It is truly an art form.  Good Luck

"The above answer has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice; it is only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Juvederm Ultra and Ultra PLUS

JUVÉDERM® XC injectable gel is a great option  for injections into the facial tissue for the correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds.
JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC is best for  softer  lip filling  and the lip lines because of its different density

#JuvedermUltra   #JuvedermUltraPlus   #lipfillers

Juvederm Family: Ultra, Ultra Plus, and Voluma Explained.

All of the Juvederm family starts with hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring glycoprotein which is found in many places in the human body. Most notably, it is in the fluid of joints and seems to act like a lubricant to keep your joints gliding smoothly. 

The hyaluronic acids are then cross linked in a chemical reaction. 

More cross linking makes bigger molecules and stiffer fillers.  

Less cross linking makes smaller molecules and softer fillers.  

Juvederm Ultra is the least cross linked and softest. 
Juvederm UltraPlus is medium.  
JuverdermVoluma is the most cross linked and is the stiffest.  

The bigger the molecule, the longer the filler lasts.  This is why Voluma hangs around the longest, 18-24 months. 

Differences between Juvederm Ultra and Ultra Plus

There are four forms of Juvederm:  Juvederm Ultra, Juvederm Ultra Plus, Juvederm Ultra XC and Juvederm Ultra Plus XC.  The XC formulations of both products have added lidocaine, an anesthetic to make the injection more comfortable.

The difference between Juvederm Ultra and Juvederm Ultra Plus is that Juvederm Ultra Plus is a more robust formulation, that is made for deeper and more severe facial wrinkles and folds that Juvederm Ultra.  Juvederm Ultra Plus is ideal for deeper naso-labial folds, whereas Juvederm Ultra, a finer molecule, does very well in enhancement of the lips or filling fine wrinkles.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Ulta vs Ultra Plus

Although Juvederm is an excellent product, it suffers from an unfortunate name issue of Ultra and Ultra Plus.  Ultra is used for superficial locations where maximum silkiness is needed.  Ultra Plus is a thicker product with longer duration at the expense of less silkiness.  Their use should be based on the recommendation of an experienced injector.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

The difference between Juvederm Ultra and Ultra Plus

The Juvederm family consists of Ultra, Ultra Plus, and Voluma.  They are all smooth hyaluronic acid fillers, but vary in their density and lifting capabilities. Juvederm Ultra can be used on very superficial lines, scars, and works wonderfully in the lips. It gives a natural result without volumizing the area.  Juvederm Ultra Plus is somewhat denser, and is used in creases, such as in the chin, marionette lines, and nasolabial folds.  Both Ultra and Ultra Plus last up to 1 year. Voluma has the highest lifting capability, is used in the midface to correct volume loss, and lasts up to 2 years

Hope you found this answer helpful.  All the best!

Burke Robinson, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Choosing Fillers should Depend on Expected Results

This is a good question to review with respect to how you anticipate your results.
Personally, I prefer to use the less dense fillers like Juvederm Ultra and Restylane and Restylane Silk for lip augmentation  and reserve the thicker/ denser fillers for more moderate wrinkles in the face for a more natural augmentation and contouring.

In general, this is the difference in the family of Restylane products as well as the hyaluronic acid fillers in the Juvederm family! 

Ronald Moser, MD
San Juan Capistrano Physician

Juvederm Ultra vs. Ultra Plus

Ultra plus is a thicker version so it tends to be better in filling out deeper lines and folds. Speak with your doctor to see which is better for you.

Vu Ho, MD
Plano Facial Plastic Surgeon