Juvederm Ultra vs. Ultra Plus

What is Juvederm Ultra used for? How is this different from other types of Juvederm, like Ultra Plus - do they treat different things?

Juvederm Ultra vs Ultra Plus

The difference in Juvederm Ultra and Ultra plus is mostly consistency.  Juvederm ultra is thin and less viscous, thus appropriate for injection intradermally to address fine wrinkles and scars.  In my practice I rarely use Ultra and much prefer Ultra plus for many reasons.  For volume fill of the lips and reshaping the face, which is most of what I do with Juvederm, Ultra plus provides more dramatic results and lasts much longer.  These products get very expensive and I feel that out of all the HA products that I have used Juvederm Ultra Plus gives the most bang for the buck for my patients.  I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Miami Physician

Juvederm Ultra, Juvederm Ultraplus

Ultra Beauty,

Thanks for the question. Juvederm Ultra is a smooth consistency gel made of hyaluronic acid, a naturally occuring polysaccharide component of all connective tissue, that helps add volume and hydration. It is a uniform structure throughout all species. Adverse reactions are exceedingly rare. Cross-linking is the differentiating factor between Juvederm Ultra and Ultra Plus, at 6 % and 8 % respectively. Both products are FDA approved for management of nasolabial folds, although their off-label use include areas such as lips and periorbita, among others. In our hands, this is an exceptional product with negligible side-effects. The large propensity of patients tend to be quite satisfied with the results.

Hope this helps.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Depends

Thanks for the question

The easiest way to describe the difference is that Ultra Plus is "thicker" that Ultra.  It will hold its shape better and provide more fill volume than Ultra.  I tend to use Ultra for the lips where I don't want a very thick, full look.  I would use Plus in the nasolabial folds, cheeks, tear troughs and maybe marionette lines.  

Everyone is a little different though, and some may use a combination of the two in the same area.  It is truly an art form.  Good Luck

"The above answer has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice; it is only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Brian Arslanian, MD

Juvederm Family: Ultra, Ultra Plus, and Voluma Explained.

All of the Juvederm family starts with hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring glycoprotein which is found in many places in the human body. Most notably, it is in the fluid of joints and seems to act like a lubricant to keep your joints gliding smoothly. 

The hyaluronic acids are then cross linked in a chemical reaction. 

More cross linking makes bigger molecules and stiffer fillers.  

Less cross linking makes smaller molecules and softer fillers.  

Juvederm Ultra is the least cross linked and softest. 
Juvederm UltraPlus is medium.  
JuverdermVoluma is the most cross linked and is the stiffest.  

The bigger the molecule, the longer the filler lasts.  This is why Voluma hangs around the longest, 18-24 months. 

Ultra and Ultra Plus

Juvederm family of products are produced by Allergan and they include  Voluma XC, Juvederm XC,

Juvederm Ultra XC, Juvederm Ultra Plus XC and Vobella XC. The XC stands for a small amount of local anesthesia mixed with the product. Voluma is a thickest  product with larger particle size and is meant for deep injections such as the area just above the cheek bone. Juvederm is used for cheek folds(smile lines) primarily but can be used elsewhere for a deeper dermal injection. Juvederm Ultra

is best for more superficial lines or wrinkles along with lip enhancement. Juvederm Ultra-Plus has a larger particle size  compared to Juvederm Ultra. Therefore, it is meant for deeper injections into the dermis. It is best for lip enhancement, cheek folds  and deeper wrinkles. Vobella has the smallest particle size and can be injected very superficially safely. This is a nice product for the tear through or eyelid hollow.

Robert W. Sheffield, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm

Juvederm Ultra plus is thicker than Juvederm Ultra. However each of them has a specific role depending on the site of injection and both are excellent products.

Kristin J. Tarbet MD, FACS
Bellevue Oculoplastic Surgeon

Juvederm vs Juvederm plus

Hi,

Thank you for your question. Juvederm Ultra is best for the lips. Juvederm Plus is thicker and is better for the rest of the face.

Dr. R

Morgan Rabach, MD

Juvederm Ultra vs. Ultra Plus

Ultra plus is a thicker version so it tends to be better in filling out deeper lines and folds. Speak with your doctor to see which is better for you.

Vu Ho, MD
Plano Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm ultra versus ultra plus

Juvederm ultra is thinner than ultra plus. I tend to use the thinner product more superficially, or in areas where the tissues are thin (e.g. Tear trough or lips).  I would consider the use of Juvederm Ultra Plus for areas like the nasolabial folds, marionette region.  For regions like the mid face (cheeks), Voluma or Perlane are good options.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Differences between Juvederm Ultra and Ultra Plus

There are four forms of Juvederm:  Juvederm Ultra, Juvederm Ultra Plus, Juvederm Ultra XC and Juvederm Ultra Plus XC.  The XC formulations of both products have added lidocaine, an anesthetic to make the injection more comfortable.

The difference between Juvederm Ultra and Juvederm Ultra Plus is that Juvederm Ultra Plus is a more robust formulation, that is made for deeper and more severe facial wrinkles and folds that Juvederm Ultra.  Juvederm Ultra Plus is ideal for deeper naso-labial folds, whereas Juvederm Ultra, a finer molecule, does very well in enhancement of the lips or filling fine wrinkles.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon