Is thermage permanent? Should it not be done on the face?

I had thermage done a month ago. I just saw myself in a picture and my cheeks are thin and look caved in. It looks like my cheeks that were once full have no fat on the now. I only had one done. Is this procedure going to last? Will it come undone? The doctor was telling me to do it once a month, which is very scary. It looks really bad. Do you have any advice? What do I do now?

Thermage and NYC

I have been doing Thermage for years on my patients and have had great results.  Thermage is recommended once a year or once every two years.  It is not a monthly procedure and does not cause your cheeks to sink.  I would recommend that you consult a board certified dermatologist and post photos so that we can help you.  It sounds as if you had some other procedure done and I would like to help. Best, Dr. Green

Can Thermage be done more than once?

Thermage is radiofrequency wave treatment which we do on the face and body. It usually is effective in tightening but it is not permanent but can be repeated but usually not every month. I would say you can have it done when it starts to sag again. It results are usually postive but it has its limitations. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Thermage and Individual Results

Thermage is for skin tightening, it doesn't cause cheek volume loss or thinning.  Please speak to your physician if you are concerned.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Thermage

Thermage treatment tightens and lifts saggy skin.  It does not cause thinning of the cheeks.  You should look at before treatment photos.  It is not a procedure that is done monthly so you should check with your doctor to see if you really had Thermage or another less effective radio frequency treatment that needs to be repeated monthly.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist