Best scar cream/oil?

I'm scheduled for a BBL and lipo next month. What is the best/most effective/recommended cream or oil to treat my incisions to minimize scarring?

Scar management

The best scar management is the use of silicone sheeting.

There's good science supporting the efficacy of this treatment and it's easy to do.

silicone sheeting looks like tape NASA sticky surface on one side.
The sticky or tacky surface is from silicone rubber.

I recommend cutting a small piece just big enough to cover this car and leaving it on for 2 to 5 days at a time.

typically this is started about three weeks after surgery.

in order for this to be effective it needs to be continued for many months typically 3 to 6 months.

it is particularly important for people with alive complected skin or those with a predisposition to excessive scar formation.

I like the product safetac made by the company called Mepitec.

it's available on Amazon and costs around $20 for a roll.

One roll should be more than plenty for covering the incisions from liposuction.

avoid non-silicone-based products.

in severe cases anti-inflammatory steroids either topical or by injection may be needed but this is rarely the case.

Mats Hagstrom, MD 

Best scar creams

Best scar cream is a silicone scar ointment which has shown to improve incision line appearance and minimize risk of scar formation.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Different surgeons recommend different creams

Hello and thank you for your question. Make sure to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in advanced body contouring techniques to ensure your optimal outcome. With respect to medications and vitamins that you can take, it really depends on your health and what your individual needs are. Each surgeon has their own particular protocol and you should follow your chosen surgeon's recommendations for your optimal outcome. For my patients that I am concerned about potential scarring, I prescribe a custom made scar control therapy gel made at a certified compounding pharmacy.  This formulation is successful in that it is silicone based and also has an antihistamine (to reduce itching) and a low dose steroid (this gets delivered locally with the gel and decreases inflammation and redness). 

I hope this helps!

Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Sean Kelishadi, MD