Which is stronger: tretinoin 0.05% or 0.01%?

My dermatologist said the 0.01% is stronger but that doesn't make sense to me.

Tretinoin cream for Wrinkles, Acne, Sun damage

Tretinoin cream (Retin-A or Renova) is highly recommended by dermatologists for many patients due to its positive effect on wrinkles, sun damage, and acne. It comes in multiple strengths depending on brand. Renova comes in 0.02% and tretinoin cream comes in 0.025%, 0.05%, and 0.1%. To clarify, 0.1% is stronger than 0.05%. You mention 0.01% and not 0.1% -  One does not usually see 0.01% in cream form which would be lower than 0.05%. Tretioin 0.01% does come in gel form. Most of our patients use tretinoin cream 0.05% and increase to 0.1% if oilier or thicker more resistant skin. Hope this helps.

Melbourne Dermatologist