No Weight Loss After Liposculpture

i am 2wks post lipo I had about 3.5 quarts of fat removed from my waist,love handles,lower/upper abdomen. I had 5 liters of liquid injected into me that day. I weigh a lil over my weight before the procedure. I am still swollen and lumpy specially int he abdomen area. I am very concerned about those bulges not shrinking down. i don't look much different than prior to the surgery. i have the same width and my love handles still look a lil aquared like before. help what should i expect at 2wks

Be Patient with Liposuction Results

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I can tell you with confidence that if 3.5 liters were removed than you WILL see a result. I would consider you in the very early phase of recovery. Almost all patients that undergo some type of surgical procedure will gain water weight for the IV fluids and from something called third spacing. This phenomenon occurs as a result of the internal trauma caused by the procedure. If you add Laser type energy I believe that additional time is required in the recovery. I tell all my patients that the real results  BEGIN around 4 weeks and will continue for 3-4 months. Also inquire as to if your surgeons office offers lymphatic massage. This technique will help with post operative discomfort and swelling.

Reno Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction is not a weightloss specific treatment

A small degree of weight loss can occur after moderately extensive liposculpture/liposuction.  3.5 quarts of fat is reasonable amount of fat removed.  However, weight loss itself is not the primary goal of liposuction.  The primary goal is to expertly sculpt problem areas and overall improve their appearance.  It is much more important to focus on improving appearance and not to focus on weight loss.  Liposuction is not a weight loss specific treatment.  When dealing with weight loss the best answers of course are specifically related to lifestyle change, diet, exercise, decreasing stress and improvement of sleep patterns.

Lumps and bumps and fullness and even swelling are expected at one week, two weeks and even longer.  What is really key is to be patient and understand that the end result isn’t until weeks and even months down the road.  What you see is what you get more often in the three month to six month range rather than in the two to three week range.  Patience is key and looking in the mirror constantly after seven to 14 days can be a bit frustrating. 

David Q. Santos, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

At two weeks post-lipo, swelling is at its peak, but the good news it that it should begin to resolve from here on out.

First, liposuction is not a weight loss procedure and you shouldn’t expect a dramatic drop in weight following the procedure. That being said, it is common for patients to gain a few pounds after lipo due to swelling and fluid retention. This same swelling is responsible for the lumpiness you’re seeing and why it may not look as though you have any results. At two weeks post-lipo, swelling is at its peak, but the good news it that it should begin to resolve from here on out. Be patient, and you should begin to notice results soon, although residual swelling may last for up to 6 months. 

William Groff, DO
San Diego Dermatologist

No weight loss after lipo

Ok, we must first clarify some things.  Lipo is not to loose weight.  A Lipo is to get rid of fat in areas where it does not go away, even with exercise.
The first weeks after the lipo you will be swollen, so you will not see the difference.  It is probably after two to three months that you will see the results, as far you keep a good diet.

Alberto Arguello, MD
Costa Rica Plastic Surgeon

Your shape will improve as swelling resolves

You should see improvement in your shape, but you still have a lot of swelling.  This can also contribute to seeing higher numbers on the scale.  Keep wearing your garment if instructed to do so.  Typically I recommend that patients massage areas that are lumpy as this helps them resolve more quickly.  Remember lipo is a contouring procedure, not a weight loss procedure.  When your swelling resolves, your should see improvement in your shape. 

Ian Lonergan, DO
Wilmington Plastic Surgeon

You will improve over time.

You should be patient and follow your doctor's instructions.  Follow a good diet and try not to gain weight as you recover.  If a few liters of fat were removed during the procedure, you will notice a big difference. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction Results

Again, don't have weight loss be your goal.  You underwent a body sculpting procedure so judge your outcome on your curves.  Remember, when you have a tummy tuck you wake up looking very different right away.  With liposculpture skin tightening and improved measurements take time.  That is also the beauty of the procedure-- that no one has to know you had it done and you just keep get better and better as time goes on.  Good Luck!

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

No weight loss 2 weeks after liposculpture

It is very common for the body to hang on to water after any traumatic event.  This will increase your weight.  You are only two weeks out.  You may very well have bruising and non smooth contours at this stage.  In our practice we have patients wear compression garments for weeks afterward to decrease swelling and try and help the contour.  Remember also that fat does not weigh that much, (muscle and bone weight more).  Your final result will most likely look like more pounds then are actually taken off.  Keep in contact with your plastic surgeon and express your concerns. 

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Be patient, you are still healing

You need to be patient, you are still healing and very swollen.  Continue to follow up with your physician.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction is not foweight loss.

It is difficult to assess what you should expect if we don't know your pre-operative weight and height and exactly what body areas where included in the lipoplasty procedure. If you are a small person with a BMI close to 25, you will have a weight loss on the scale after 3-6 months based on the 3.3 liter lipectomy. Also, it is difficult to know if you had 3.5 quartz of fat removed or if that was the total aspirate and what technique was used. lastly,  immeditaely after the liposuction procedure, the body swells and you gain a significant amount of water weight which takes a while to lose. This can be expedited with a short course of medrol dose pack or diuretics but it will still take a couple of weeks. Liposculpting is meant to establish countour and proportion. The goal is not weight loss. Ofcourse, 2 weeks are still the early recovery period as it will take several months to see the final results. The only way you will be able to achieve and maintain good results is to remain active and engage in routine excercise and practice healthy eating habits; otherwise, the results will not last long.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon