Breast reduction scar widening. Any suggestions? (photos)

I received a breast reduction Jan 14, 2016, anchor style. My wounds closed up nicely about 2 weeks after my procedure. I am now 3 monts post-op. The scar underneath my left breast seems to be getting wider with a little discomfort. I have been applying Maderma for about 2 months now. I'm back to wearing my surgical bra, because I'm concerned that this could've been caused by my sports bras. I have an appt w/ my surgeon in 2 weeks. May I please get some advice?

Widening breast reduction scars

I usually have patients use silicone sheeting to manage breast reduction incisions. Since there's so much total incision length, it's tough to be good about topical agents. With sheeting, you don't really have to think about it because it just stays stuck on the skin and works around the clock. One of the major advantages to silicone sheeting is that it is wide, so it can actually help reduce tension on the incision which can help reduce widening.

Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Scar widening

I would ask your PS for advice regarding scar management - massage - bra/support etc. The scar should contract and fade over time. There are different treatments for raised scars / red scars but there isn't really a good treatment to reduce widened scars. Everything will improve over the coming 6-12 months and I would not consider any form a scar revision currently.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Wide Breast Reduction Scar

Thank you for your pictures.  Unfortunately, there is little that can be done about stopping your scars from widening.  Once your scar is mature (1 yr), a scar revision can be contemplated.  Best wishes.

Scar widening

Scar widening may occur as a process of healing for some individuals that can be genetically related in terms of how you heal, or could reflect tension of the wound closure. Sometimes scar revision can help once the tissues have softened a bit. Long terms use of products at this point will maybe only help keep the scar flat. Best to follow with your surgeon.