Can I Wash my Face One Day After Fractional Co2 Procedure?

Cleanser after fractional co2

A gentle cleanser such as MelaClenz will work well to cleanse your face after a fractional co2 laser. Always ask your treating physician first.

You should also ask for a postop care kit and instructions after laser.

Dr. Karamanoukian

Wash your face after fractional CO2 treatment

Thanks for your question. You should have received post-op instructions on how to care for your skin. For my patients, I recommend that they take 4x4 gauze soaked with cool or tepid tap water and gently go over all resurfaced areas 6 times a day. You can mix 1 cup of water with 2 tsp of vinegar. The vinegar will help prevent infection, and you will not feel it. The goal with each cleaning is to remove the exfoliating skin and crusting that develops with this. This should be a gentle process with no scrubbing or abrading. If you have pain or develop bleeding, you are scrubbing too hard. Lots of water and frequent cleanings are most important. After each cleaning, apply a coat of Aquaphor. This should look like icing on a cake. This will provide the moisture that your skin very much needs during the healing process. Use for a minimum of 4 days. Following these directions and keeping your skin well lubricated will help quicken the healing process. By day 10 to 12, your skin should be completely resurfaced.

At that point, you can start using another hydrating lotion of your choice or that’s recommended by your physician.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Washing your face after co2 laser resurfacing

Yes, I would encourage washing of the face - lots of water and just a little of a very gentle cleanser like purpose(r).  To clean the face it is more a soaking and gentle wipe then scrubbing especially in the initial days.  You should contact your surgeon to go over his preferred method of post op care and stick to his/her routine. 

Douglas M. Stevens, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon