I want to schedule ultherapy and sculptra but just had a root canal. How long do I need to wait?

Ultherapy and Sculptra

Sculptra could be injected at any point. Ulthera should wait until the tenderness from the root canal subsided. The energy from Ulthera is deep and hot. It could exacerbate pre- existing discomfort.

I would recommend waiting around two weeks after the root canal in order to ensure the swelling has subsided and no other complications occur. 

Sculptra and order of procedure

If you had dental work I would wait two weeks to make sure that both the swelling and possible nerve side effects are resolved.  Then I would begin with Ulthera or Thermage for Skin Tightening.  I prefer Thermage and have had great results with Thermage CPT total tip which tightens the lower face and lasts up to two years.  A week later you could get your Sculptra injections.  After you are injected with Sculptra you will need to follow the "rule of 5's" where you massage the treated area for five days, five times a day, for five minutes.  For the best results please find a board certified dermatologist with experience in facial injections and cosmetic dermatology.

Ultherapy and Sculptra after root canal

If you have any swelling as a result of the root canal, I would wait a week or two until this has resolved.  I would recommend having the Ultherapy first and then the Sculptra.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon