Why do I have red itchy skin after rhinoplasty? (Photo)

I just had my open rhinoplasty last Friday so it's been exactly a week and this morning my nose was extremely itchy under the cast so I was able to itch a little around it but now the skin around the cast is very irritated. I've been cleaning my face with witch hazel daily which has never caused me to have a reaction and I put some serum and moisturizer on this morning to cool it down but it's getting worse and I called my doctor but I have to wait until Tuesday for my cast removal...help!

Adhesives in rhinoplasty dressings can cause skin irritation

Dear cocoluva

Sorry to hear about your irritation on the skin.  
  1. The adhesives in any tape can irritate your skin (as well as the skin cleanser used before surgery, "prep")
  2. If it is still bothering you today, call your surgeon to see if they will see you today 
  3. Stay clear of placing anything stronger than a mild soap (Dove) on your skin. 
  4. After the cast is removed, use only mild soap and don't apply products. 
  5. Your surgeon will have a regimen for managing these irritations, they are common. 
Best Wishes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dear cocoluva

Best Wishes

Red Itchy Skin after Rhinoplasty

It sounds like you may be developing contact dermatitis, which is an inflammatory skin reaction whereby the skin becomes inflamed, red, or itchy after contact with a substance. After rhinoplasty, the cause is most commonly either the paper tape or adhesive used. Minimize the amount of harsh cleansers you use on your face until it improves. Consult your doctor if the symptoms worsen, redness spreads, you develop pain or fevers. Also contact your doctor if you develop rashes anywhere else or develop signs of infection. In the meantime, be careful when applying the tape over the red regions. Oral antihistamines and/or topical hydrocortisone may help. Good luck. Dr H. 

Red Itchy Skin after Rhinoplasty