Is Fraxel permanent?

Does fraxel laser surgery permanently get rid of stretch marks?

Fraxel and Stretch Marks

While Fraxel can be effective with some patients for stretch marks, I have personally gotten better results with the eMatrix for stretch marks.  Red stretch marks can effectively be treated with the V-Beam laser.  Please consult with a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with lasers.  Best, Dr. Green

Fraxel

The results of the Fraxel laser are long-term but not permanent. Your skin will continue to age as years go by from both environmental and genetic factors. By properly taking care of your skin with a good skincare routine, maintenance laser and light treatments, and adequate sun protection, your skin will stay healthy longer.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

What is fraxel

Fraxel is a laser skin rejuvenation treatment that resurfaces your outer skin, erasing imperfections. It also encourages the production of collagen, a protein found in connective tissue.The result is clearly visible lines, folds and wrinkles. Fraxel laser skin rejuvenation is a non-invasive technique that affects only about 20 percent of the facial skin exposed to it. The most common side effects of Fraxel laser treatment are swelling and skin redness, which should subside within a couple of days. Other temporary side effects may include minor itching, dry skin, peeling or flaking, and a bronzed skin appearance. The risk of infection or scarring is very limited.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Results are variable

Agree with Dr Emer- red stretch marks can be faded with V BEAM or other vascular lasers. Often 3-4 sessions are needed. I often combine my treatments with Vitamin A cream. 

Old stretch marks are harder to treat. My choice? Either Fraxel laser, CO2 Fractional or RF microneedling. Regardless of which treatment you elect, the results are variable, and you will require 3-4 sessions. Expect a maximal fading and or improvement of 30-40%. 

Dr Davin Lim
Laser Dermatologist
BRISBANE, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Stretch Marks and Fraxel

There are many options for improvement but no "cure" for stretch marks. If they are red, Vbeam or Excel V laser can help. If they are older and stretched/white, then treatments/procedures such as microneedling, lasers or radiofrequency devices can help build collagen and give improvement. I suggest a cosmetic dermatologist with experience in the treatment of scars and who is an expert in lasers and fillers. Best, Dr. Emer.