Matching Dysport concentration with Botox?

I was told the doctor that you have to use triple the amount of Dysport for the same effect as Botox 1cc is diluted for 100 units of Botox 3cc is diluted for 300 units of Dysport If the doctor only dilutes only 1cc for 300 units of Dysport, is it safe to say that 1 unit Botox = 1 unit of Dysport based on the change of concentration in Dysport Can the doctor do this in order to match the concentration of Botox?

Yes you are right.

Dysport has 500 Ipsen units in 1 vial.

Allergan botox has 100 botox units in 1 vial. 

1 unit of Allergan Botox is as potent as 2.5-3units of Dysport Ipsen units. 

Therefore 1 vial of Dysport has the 500/2.5 = 200 equivalent Botox units (using the conversion of 2.5). 

If mixed with the same amount of normal saline per vial, Dysport has twice the number of units (200 Botox units) in the same volume as compared to Allergan Botox ( 100 Botox Units). Therefore the doctor who uses both would need to inject X Allergan Botox millilitres and X/2 Dysport millilitres of solution for the same potency. 

It's best to look for an experienced injector or trainer in Botulinium Toxin if you want to switch brands around. 

Singapore Physician

Botox and dysport units

Thanks for your question. Because 1 unit of Botox is roughly equal to 2.5-3 units of Dysport, there is no sense in trying to match them unit for unit because that wouldn't mean anything. I hope this clarifies your question.

Estee Williams, MD

Hello Maxv7788,

Each company determines what a "unit" is.  This is why there is the difference between units of Botox and Dysport.  For effectiveness of treatment, 1 unit of Botox is equivalent to 2.5-3 units of Dysport.  This is not because of how the doctors are diluting it but rather how the company defines its units.  Although you could dilute the Dysport to create the same number of units of Botox or Dysport, you would then have to inject three times as much to get the same result.  Some people will even say they get a better result with Dysport that comes on faster and lasts longer.  This could be because we usually use the conversion of 1 unit of Botox to 3 units of Dysport.  But if the real equivalent is 2.5 then that means you are getting extra treatment for the same price.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox vs Dysport

Thank you for your question. Botox and Dysport are very similar, and there is a slight protein difference between the two neuromodulator molecules. I tend to use 2.5-3 Dysport units for each Botox unit as a conversion. But remember, they both have to be reconstituted and mixed with saline before injection. I tend to think of them as being like Coke and Pepsi. The technique of the injector is very important as well. It is best to see an experienced injector, and stick with a product you are happy with for the best results. Best of luck.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Dysport Units

3 units of Dysport is equal to that of 1 unit of Botox. It may sound like you are receiving more units when getting Dysport, however, if you typically receive 20 units of Botox, expect to be getting 60 units of Dysport. Both are great products, and in my practice, I specifically like Dysport around the eyes for crowes feet.

Botox vs Dysport

Dysport vs Botox is like Ibuprofen vs Advil. The pills may have a different brand name and come in a different size but they are equally as strong when they contain the same active ingredient. Dysport units are measured differently than Botox, usually 3 to 1, so at my practice a unit of Botox is $10.99 while Dysport is 1/3 of that, but at the end the result is the same - smoother wrinkles :-)

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Dysport and botox

It takes approximately 2.5 units of Dysport to achieve the same effective level of toxin as 1 unit of Botox. Your physician is able to specifically dilute Dysport in order to match the equivalent concentration of a standard Botox treatment. 

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Dysport and Botox Dilutions/Dosing

Dysport and botox units cannot be interchanged. In studies is roughly 2-3:1 dysport:botox.  What matters is your doctor's injection technique. I like both toxins.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Dysport to Botox ratio

Most physicians will use a 3:1 or 2.5:1 uni ratio when converting Dysport to Botox.  I prefer the 3:1 ratio in my practice.  As Dr. Steinsapir summarized, both products come as a dry powder and have to be reconstituted (mixed with saltwater) to be injectable.  My feeling is that while a more dilute concentration allows the product to spread more effectively, it is the number of units injected that makes the biggest difference the degree of muscle relaxation achieved.  Dysport vs Botox are sort of like Coke vs Pepsi; some people prefer one over the other, but the two products accomplish the same goal.  Good luck with your treatment!

Inessa Fishman, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

The point is that 1 unit of Dysport does not equal 1 unit Botox.

Both products come dry and are put into solution by the doctor.  Typically I dilute my Botox with either 2 or 3 ml of injectable saline.  That makes a solution that is either 50 units per ml or 33 units per ml of Botox.  The "equivalent" Dyport dilution would be 2 or 3 ml of injectable saline in one vial of Dysport.  In which case the finale concentration of Dysport would be either 150 units per ml or 100 units per ml of Dysport.  The clinical effect is that I am using a Dysport solution that has 3 times the number of units as I would use for Botox.  Despite all the whisper campaigns coming from these companies, clinically speaking the effects of Botox, Dysport, and Xeomin are all the same.  The onset and duration are clinically equivalent-end of story.  By the way, do not dream of doing your own treatment.  If you do, you will have a fool for a patient.