Only 600 cc's removed with lipo, was enough removed?

My Ps took off 600cc total (1.4 lbs?) I had my flanks done, upper and lower abs and some from my love handles. I am 5'3 and weigh about 160, also I had a tummy tuck in August by the same surgeon. After reading comments about 600cc's not being a lot, I am now concerned that not enough fat was removed, and if this is this a reasonable concern that I have. I don't want to second guess my surgeon and I am wondering what would be a good way to raise my concern if needed?

How much lipo is enough

The amount of fatty tissue aspirate that is reported after liposuction surgery can vary from surgeon to surgeon. Some surgeons include the actual volume of all of the fluid and fat removed. Others only report the amount that is actually fatty tissue after the fat and water have separated in the collection canister. Surgeons that use laser lipolysis with the liposuction might report a smaller  amount than someone that uses a more traditional technique because the density of the fat changes after the emulsification process. This is all to say that the actual number that is reported can be very misleading. The real thing that matters is if you ended up with the results that you were expecting. If you did, then great. If you didn't, simply bring this to the attention of your surgeon and have a discussion about what your options might be to make things better.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Volume of liposuction aspirate is generally what the area in question yields.

Liposuction is done until the area being treated yields no more fat. When the swelling has subsided the skinfold thickness should be an inch or less.

Wait and see

Contrary to popular belief, liposuction is not about "getting it all out" or removing as much fat as possible. In fact, some of the worst results that are also very difficult to correct are due to overzealous liposuction volumes. The goal of lipo is to remove the right amount to contour a given area and as such 600 cc may be too little, just right, or too much. Your surgeon will be able to explain better but as usual you'll need to wait and seen as the results show themselves more clearly over the next couple months.

Robert S. Backstein, MD

Is 600 cc enough.....impossible to answer!

600 cc may be just the perfect amount.  Only time will tell.  Follow along with your surgeon and look at pre and post operative photos.  I bet you will be happy and your surgeon was right on.  Go and talk to him.  You are, in fact, trying to out guess the person that was there and did the work.  You will be fine.  My Best,  Dr C

Is 600 CC's enough?

I think what you are getting at is one of the problems with the internet. More information, especially from unqualified sources, can make even the most rational and reasonable person doubt their results. There are people for whom 600 cc's is more than enough. There are others for whom 600 cc's is nowhere near enough.  The answer is in your result. If you are happy with your improvement, then 600 cc's is not enough. If, at your weight, you are unhappy and feel that a lot of fat was left behind, have an open and honest discussion with your surgeon.  Speaking for surgeons, we would almost always prefer the opportunity to explain the reason we do things we do ourselves, rather than having to defend from the sometimes ill informed opinions of know-it-all surgeons like me answering from behind a keyboard.
Dr. Pyle

Jeremy Pyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction

I will usually tell patients that it isn't so much about what we take out, it's more about what is left!   Meaning that the final result is the important factor.  How much is or can be taken out is based on so many factors.  It is best to discuss your result with your surgeon and what to expect moving forward.  Good luck. 

David Marcus, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Need to see pre and post op. photos.

It is not important how much was removed as the percentage of wetting fluid in the aspirate varies from surgeon to surgeon.What really matters is the final result and for that you have to wait at least six months.

Anup Dhir, MD
India Plastic Surgeon